Solved

Roaming costs

• 18 August 2022
  • 6 replies

I recently took out a contract with ID for my daughter after they were recommended for reliable roaming services. Her University course is giving her 1 semester (just over 3 months) at a partner European University, she’ll then be permanently back to the UK to finish her course. I’m trying to find out if this time period is covered by her roaming service without incurring any additional costs or if I need to contact someone to provide info? I don’t want her staying overseas and receiving concerning messages about surcharges etc. Can anyone advise? Thanks

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 18 August 2022, 12:16

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Everything you need to know is covered here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming

And here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy

Thanks. Your links don’t seem to work but I read that info earlier and saw that there may be charges if it looks like you’re abroad for more than 4 months (so assuming then you’re not UK resident) so I was trying to check that 3 months away would be OK?

Also regarding data limit. If the contract has unlimited data does this apply when roaming? The examples all show fixed data tarriffs so how would I know what restriction there is if any?

I don’t want my daughter to be overseas with no service to be able to contact us at any time or alternatively to incur charges I can’t see clearly upfront.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Odd, links are working for me…

As per the links, 3 months will be fine.

You won't get unlimited data while roaming. Use the calculator located within the second link to work out your Open Data policy limit and any associated fees you may incur as a result.

I just get this message when using the links but will find the info. Thanks for your help. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I just get this message when using the links but will find the info. Thanks for your help. 

Okay @zileidor, just make sure your have LOGGED OUT of your iD Community account before using the links on the main iD web site.

Otherwise, use a browser with iPad, tablet or laptop to access the links from @WelshPaul.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@zileidor,

Try also private browsing or incognito

The issue is to do with cookies that may be interfering here.

There’s a calculator on our Open Data Policy which will work out how much data can be used.

As for the Fair Usage, this is more designed to stop people permanently living abroad and using services as we’re a UK network.

In her case, at 3-months time she’ll get a text advising about her usage.

She can contact us and as long as she can prove she has strong ties to UK, the Team should be able to mark this on the account and prevent the charges being incurred.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?