Solved

RPI changes coming to SIM only plans?

• 15 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I recently took out a SIM only plan for my son and ordered another one yesterday for myself. One of the reasons I did so was because ID Mobile advertised that their SIM only plans were exempt from any annual RPI increases.

Screenshot:

I see that ID Mobile have removed this fact from their FAQ section and I can now no longer find any mention of it on their website.

So it got me wondering... Do ID Mobile plan on increasing SIM only plans in line with RPI annually? If so, will it apply to existing SIM only plans?

icon

Best answer by Will 16 June 2021, 14:03

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The only information I can find on the subject now is the following legal information:

Limited time offers

£10 15GB - Limited Time Offer

Offer exclusively available on our one month SIM only contract for £10 a month with 15GB data, unlimited minutes and texts.

Promotion is valid between 10/06 and 07/07 2021 and available for new and existing customers. Increased data allowance will be applied automatically at point of sale and will remain duration of the contract or until you change your plan or upgrade.

If you chose to upgrade or change your plan to another, there will be no additional data increase on your new plan allowances.

Pay monthly price subject to credit check, eligibility and minimum term on selected tariff. Monthly price may increase in line with Retail Price Index (RPI). Standard Network Terms and Conditions apply.

£10 20GB - Limited Time Offer

Offer exclusively available on our 12 months SIM only contract for £10 a month with 20GB data, unlimited minutes and texts.

Promotion is valid between 10/06 and 07/07 2021 and available for new and existing customers. Increased data allowance will be applied automatically at point of sale and will remain duration of the contract or until you change your plan or upgrade.

If you chose to upgrade or change your plan to another, there will be no additional data increase on your new plan allowances.

Pay monthly price subject to credit check, eligibility and minimum term on selected tariff. Monthly price may increase in line with Retail Price Index (RPI). Standard Network Terms and Conditions apply.

£13 20GB - Limited Time Offer

Offer exclusively available only on our one month SIM only contract for £13 a month (was £15 from 13th May to 9th June) with 20GB data, unlimited minutes and text.

Promotion is valid between 10/06 and 07/07 2021 and available for new and existing customers.

If you chose to upgrade or change your plan to another, there will be no additional discount on your new plan price.

£18 Unlimited - Limited Time Offer

Offer exclusively available only on our one month SIM only contract for £18 a month (was £20 from 13th May to 9th June) with unlimited minutes, texts and data.

Promotion is valid between 10/06 and 07/07 2021 and available for new and existing customers.

If you chose to upgrade or change your plan to another, there will be no additional discount on your new plan price.

So your limited time offers may increase in line with RPI.

(I didn’t sign up to any “Limited Time Offer” deals)

It looks to me that ID Mobile are quietly making changes to bring this in to place across the board? The only reason I chose ID Mobile and didn’t go with Three direct (both offer the same tariff) was because ID Mobile claimed not to increase the plan annually in line with RPI. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @WelshPaul 

It is true that iD Mobile did not increase SIM Only deals according to RPI for many years. I have been with iD Mobile since year one and the first price increase that I have noticed was this year. RPI increases happen only once a year around April time so if you have signed up for a deal after April 2021 your bill will not increase until April 2022.

It all depends on the monthly deal that you are but increases are usually a matter of pennies. Good thing about SIM Only deals are that you look for an upgrade on your deal that might bring you plan even cheaper. In a 12 months time (around April time) check your upgrade offers on new SIM Only deals and you may find more that for the same price and you won't need to worry about RPI increase.

My girlfriend just upgraded from £5 for 2GB of data to £6 for 4GB of data and she won't need to pay these extra pennies. 🙂

Kind Regards

Gregor

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

But my bill shouldn’t increase at all. It clearly stated on the ID Mobile website that they would not increase and that is why I bought two sim only plans with ID Mobile! (clearly shown in the screenshot I posted in my first post)

They have quietly removed any references to it from the website last night or sometime today. I could have gone with Tesco Mobile who don’t increase their plans annually or I could have just got the same deal direct with Three and not bothered going with an MVNO at all. 👀

If this is indeed the case, I will be cancelling the SIM only plan I ordered for myself yesterday. 😔

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Gregor and @WelshPaul 

I can confirm I’ve fed your concerns back, and have been advised that we have no plans to introduce RPI to our SIM only plans.

That’s not to say it will never ever ever happen, but as things stand, it’s not in the pipeline.

Hope this helps.

Will

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Will,

Thanks for responding to my concerns and i’m happy to read that ID Mobile have no plans to introduce annual RPI to their SIM only plans at present. I just found it strange that it was there one minute, gone the next! That being said, maybe its removal was to do with the “Limited time offer” SIMS being subject to RPI? Personally, if I can get the plan direct from the network operator for the same price advertised by the MVNO network then I would definitely go direct (access to telephone support being one such reason).

Anyway, having said all that, I decided to go with Vodafone last night as I figured if i’m subject to RPI on ID Mobile (Vodafone had a similar plan to the one I purchased from ID Mobile) then I may as well go direct and stick with the network i’m using already. They sent me an eSIM in minutes of me buying the plan!

The ID Mobile SIM I purchased for myself a couple of days ago arrived in the post this morning. Not going to lie, I had every intention of sending it back! However, given what you posted above, I might give it to my other son as he’s with Voxi and it would save me £2 a month. 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Glad we were able to clear this up for you and put your mind at ease, @WelshPaul!

If we ever do decide to start charging RPI on SIM-only plans, we would proactively communicate this .

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Same here, I just joined today and shock horror my £10.00  30 day rolling contract will go up 78p from next April. I will cancel contract asap if this is the case. No mention when checking out, just when I purchased it through the website. Can anyone clarify this. Very confused. Ta.

Why iD Mobile?