Solved

Sim not provisioned whilst in China

• 27 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Whilst travelling through China my phone wouldn't make calls or do messaging. It constantly displayed Sim not provisioned emergency calls only. Works fine in Europe and is set for international roaming (galaxy j3)
Any ideas how to fix this as I need to go back out there.
Cheer
icon

Best answer by Ryan 30 April 2019, 17:25

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi Kayak247,
I've been with ID for 18 months and recently spent 1 week in Beijing. I had the same problem as you, but I have a Motorola phone (Moto G6). I checked my network settings and tried to manually select a network. The only one I saw was 'CHN-UNICOM', but manually selecting it only returned the message "network unavailable".
I have talked to ID Customer Services just now, and they tell me their China network partner is CHN-CUGSM. I could not see that one when I tried to manually select.
So I need to figure out if there is a phone setting I need to fiddle with to make that network appear next time. ID CS is now going to send me a network configuration message, but I won't be able to test that soon - I won't return to China until next year.
Will you be returning there sooner? Will you be able to get a network configuration message from ID too, and report back whether it worked?
Cheers,
Tom.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Kayak247 & @tomkerrane,

Sometimes, a device may not have full access to a countries mobile network infrastructure, especially in countries outside of the EU, so it might be worth trying the SIM card in another phone whilst abroad to see if that helps. It's all due to which network bands the phone has access too, and some models made specifically for Europe may struggle in other countries, although this is rare.

Also, remember to connect to the Chinese CHN-CUGSM network. China Mobile may work, but usually only for data access and not calls or texts.

Ryan

Hi, 

I upgraded my contract on 10th December 2020 and the operator said I can keep using the same sim card. Since then it has been saying ‘sim card not provisioned’. I tried to restart the phone and the app a few times, but not any better. It just not possible to get in touch with some of the operators on the phone, the live chat button doesn’t turn up……. It is so frustrating that since then I have been unable to use my phone. Can you please help me out ASAP!!!!!!???? I can’t run my business……..

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @svet,

I’ve replied to your post elsewhere.

Please do not spam multiple topics surrounding the same issue.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?