Solved

Sim Pin/Lock to prevent simjacking

• 15 October 2019
  • 12 replies

Hi.

I wish to secure my number from simjacking attacks. This can be done be setting a sim PIN.

Please can you advise how to do this?

Thanks,

A Users

icon

Best answer by Kash 29 January 2023, 14:49

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @a users,

This is set-up in the handset settings from what I’m aware, though don’t quote me on this.

Which phone is it that you’re using with the SIM?

Mohammed

Userlevel 2

I think the point with SIM Jacking is that, it's nothing to do with your phone. The fraudsters simply get your contact details (presumably they have your offer number) and then call customer services and request that your number is ported to a new SIM. The only way to prevent this is to have a password set on your account so that when the fraudsters call customer services to port the number, this extra layer is security would prevent that.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @a users 

When a PAC is requested a confirmation text is sent to your phone so you would be aware if any attempts were made to take control of your number.

-Phil 

Userlevel 2

Hi@a users 

When a PAC is requested a confirmation text is sent to your phone so you would be aware if any attempts were made to take control of your number.

-Phil 

That's good to know!

Hi, my new sim works fine without unlocking on my I phone 6S. In my S8 it keeps asking for my sim unlock code which I do not have. I tried both 1234 and 0000 What next?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @jopiedepopie,

Could potentially be a PUK code it’s looking for. We’ll drop you a Private Message now to get you sorted with one and see ho you get on.

Will

Hi I have just in the last weeks received my new id sim and wanted to put a sim lock on it to prevent sim swapping in case my phone is lost or stolen. It asks for sim pin when I try and set it up but I don’t know what it is.

yhe phone is an iPhone and I bought it unlocked direct from apple 2 years ago and have never previously set up a sim pin. I did try 1234 but that wasn’t right. I could try 0000 but then I only have 1 more chance before it locks and I can’t be without my phone connection so need to have some hint planned in advance to unblock it if that happens. 
can you advise how to proceed please and if I need a puk code jow I get one quickly?

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @BigDaveH,

If you do get it blocked and need a PUK Code you can contact us to get this sorted.

The quickest way would be via Live Chat or our Social pages but we can also PM you here if needed, albeit a little behind as we’re working a backlog of queries.

Mohammed

I’ve just seen a programme on TV regarding scams.  This featured a lady who had her bag stolen from a gym locker: her phone, keys and purse were in the stolen bag. The thieves managed to simjack her phone and then acquire her chip and pin bank card number. They quickly racked up thousands on her bank card in stores and also were able to transfer savings from another account to her current account to continue the spend on her card. For a while her bank were convinced she must have been careless in leaving her pin number easily available within her personal belongings for the fraudsters to access, but that wasn’t the case. In the end the bank recognised the sophisticated nature of the fraud and gave her the money back. However she had a good long wait until they were convinced it wasn't actually her fault in some form.   Alexis Conran hosted the show and recommended setting a sim pin on your phone to prevent this happening in the first place.  To do that you need the default sim pin code from your mobile carrier which he said you could easily google. I bought a second hand unlocked iphone into which I have put an ID Mobile sim card. I was not able to obtain the default sim pin code online.  Could you tell me what default pin I should use or do I have to request my PUK privately to reset my phone sim pin.  Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Annie Mc,

Welcome to the Community!

If you have an iPhone, go to Settings > Mobile Data > SIM PIN.

The default SIM PIN is usually 0000 or 1234.

Let us know how you get on.

Kash

That worked many thanks Kash. 

Anna

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Annie Mc,

You’re Welcome.

Glad to hear that we could help.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?