Question

sms - multimedia charges

Userlevel 1

Suddenly my texts are classes as multimedia even though they are simple texts and I am being charged 30p per message. I haven't changed anything but now darent send a simple text! Help

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 1

Suddenly I am being charged for multimedia messages when sending a simple text. I haven't changed anything but am being charged for texts

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you changed your phone recently?

There’s more about using MMS on iD Mobile in the following online articles:

1. What are the different charges I might see on my bill?
  2. https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/mms-charges (MMS charges explained)

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply. Not changed my phone recently. Was with 3 for years and never seen this problem before. Thanks for the link. I had read this. I have been charged for simple sms texts. No media content and short messages. With the information I have it all points to idmobile

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Guy Simpson, it sounds like you’ll need to query the charges with iD Mobile.

I’d say that someone at iD needs to look at your iD account.
For immediate assistance I’d suggest the online chat service at https:/idmobile.co.uk/live-chat.

The customer service agents work until 8pm on weekdays.

If you can’t use online chat, just send a private request to iD Mobile’s social media team by using facebook (using Messenger) or Twitter (by Direct Message) - they should also be able to assist with your enquiry.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Many many thanks for your help

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately the bot was useless and just multiplied my frustration. I can't find the exact groups you quote bur have sent a general twitter message. Thinking maybe I have to leave as last resort. My time valuable 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately the bot was useless and just multiplied my frustration. I can't find the exact groups you quote bur have sent a general twitter message. Thinking maybe I have to leave as last resort. My time valuable 

Okay @Guy Simpson, when you’re using the online chat, just type “talk to a person” after connecting to get a real person - avoiding the bot.

I mainly use Twitter to get help & support from iD Mobile.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @Guy Simpson, one of the reasons that you’d be charged for an MMS is if you’re including rich content in your messages. This can include attachments, images and may even be caused by adding emojis on some handsets. Are you including any of those in your messages?

Alternatively, you could be exceeding the character limit for an SMS, which would convert the message to an MMS. I believe the limit is 160 characters.

Finally, some handsets will convert messages to MMS if you’re sending to a large group, perhaps 10 or more.

Do any of these apply to you?

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Thanks Rory but not doing any of this

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Guy Simpson, I know you were discussing this with our Facebook team so I’ve just got back to you there.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?