Solved

SMS Short Code Error 28

• 9 October 2018
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 1
I enter a few text competitions a month that use short codes, usually ITV competitions or the Gadget Show. However the new Gadget Show competition that uses short code 65555 will not send and I simply get a popup error of: Cannot send message with id - error 28

Everything else works, phone, internet, texting. I even entered another competition that uses a short code beginning 6 and that works fine. I still have loads of unused credit before I reach my cap.

Gadget show comp has changed the SMS number this series and I read somewhere that short codes have to be manually registered with the network providers to work, so maybe ID have not enabled 65555 yet??

For now I have entered by phone and post, but would be nice to text aswell.
icon

Best answer by Phil 9 November 2018, 12:59

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi all, we've got the problem sorted that was preventing you sending a message to 65555.

Good luck if you decide to enter tonight.

Let us know if you have any issue with this.
-Phil
Userlevel 1
Kevin,

Thanks for the update. I did email idmobile directly and got a response from Aqeela who intimated it maybe a Channel 5 issue, so I then email Channel 5 who also replied quickly and asked me a few more details that I passed to them, so they are also looking into it, so hopefully between idmobile and channel 5 it will get sorted eventually!

Bit late for the gadget show compo though as that closes on 2nd November, but as I already mentioned I have entered via alternative methods of phone call and postal.

But there are plenty of other channel5 compos running using 65555 that are still running for a while, such as the great model railway challenge, big brother, neighbours, etc so feel there are a lot of frustrated users out there having same issue, so quicker problem fixed the better for everyone. I'm sure channel 5 wont be too pleased if it is an idmobile issue and they are losing out on revenue. Then again it its a channel 5 issue then idmobile will be losing out on revenue!

Oh well, if one of us wins a big compo by phone or postal method because could not enter by text, then that would be most amusing.
Userlevel 1
I did get another reply from Channel 5 and they are in contact with Three (whose network idmobile runs on), and hopefully the issue will get sorted out one way or the other sooner rather than later.

Slightly disappointed that Chris is saying it could be a few months before being sorted, but maybe that's just a worse case scenario.

Like myself and other people's suggestions just have to resort to premium phone call instead or postal entry for now. Good luck everyone and hope someone's a big winner in time for Christmas!
Userlevel 1
Yay!

Just tested by entering gadget show compo and worked perfectly!

Can only assume all the other channel 5 compos that also use 65555 (just different keywords) should be ok too, but I'm not made of money so won't be racking up a huge bill testing them!

So thanks for getting sorted anyway, just need to actually win something now...
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @HCHT

I'll try find out for you.

Check back with us next week and we'll check for updates.

Mohammed
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Well hello there @SpookyGhost (great username) and welcome to the ID Community.

First and foremost. Fingers crossed you're a winner one of these days in your competition conquests.

When was the last time you tried entering by text? Have you ever had the error message from any other competitions by text?

If we could get some information on the date you had last tried this we'll then pass on the information to some of our back office guys to see if they can look into registering this number if that is what is needed on our side.

Failing that, we should hopefully find out some answers to help troubleshoot the issue along our pursuits to get your answers.

Kevin
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
How diddly ho there @SpookyGhost

We'll be interested to here any findings you get on that side.

Behind the scenes, we have raised the number to our Tech Team though. So if it does turn out it is because we need to have the number registered on our side, we should hopefully have that done in a wave of network updates sometime soon.

For the time being, we could only suggest entering via alternate methods advertised and leave it with us to do our side of things.

Kevin
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hey @SpookyGhost

There was a kerfuffle a few years back about TV shows competition entries and getting them regulated better after a few scandals I believe. So I believe your entries via other means should be just as valid as those done by text.

We've done everything we can behind the scenes to get this looked at from our side though. So fingers crossed it's not too long until the 65555 is cleared on our side (if it is in fact something our guys behind the scenes need to approve on the network).

Best of luck with all your competition entries though.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
If it is a problem on our network side @Martin Sadler, then we'll be ensuring we have that taken care of in the coming months.

For now all we can really suggest is to enter via alternate methods for now, and try again with any new competition entries in December/ January.

People have raised the issue on the Channel 5 side too, so the war to get this fixed is being fought on both fronts, and should be all over soon.

Kevin
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I get exactly the same error when using short-code 65555. I've tried it several times for various different programs, the last one being "A Year in Canada" just the other day. Tried it several times just now and still get "Error 28". I have premium calls enabled in my iD mobile App

Have you checked your spend cap Martin? @Martin Sadler

You'll need to make sure that your spend cap isn't set too low to allow the sending of said premium SMS.

With the introduction of the £0.00 spend cap, we're finding a lot of customers have this set to £0.00 and are forgetting this needs to be increased in order to send the message.

Mohammed
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Yay!

Just tested by entering gadget show compo and worked perfectly!

Can only assume all the other channel 5 compos that also use 65555 (just different keywords) should be ok too, but I'm not made of money so won't be racking up a huge bill testing them!

So thanks for getting sorted anyway, just need to actually win something now...

Glad to hear that it's all sorted now!

Best of luck for your entry and future entries!

The prizes for the Gadget Show competitions were always crazy, I remember when I was younger I'd visualise how I'd store all of them in my house.

Mohammed
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @SpookyGhost,

This is a strange one as usually all short codes are affected on your account if one doesn't work. What we will need to do is look into this further by escalating it to our technical team. I will PM you right away with some details needed in order to have this sorted.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
Hi. Id be stunned to win of the compos but you never know, one day it might happen!

I've tried the gadget show compo 65555 number a few times since Monday with no joy. Last time tried was just now on Wednesday 10th October at 20:11 getting the same error.

When I entered gadget show compo in last tv series the number was 85555 and that worked fine on 31 May. I have also entered various other compos over last few months with short codes like 63339, 82248, 86060, 60110 and they all went through ok. You know they work as you get a message sent back to you thanking for entry.

As I mentioned above its not a network wide issue as after previous failure I entered a completely different compo which was the ITV Tipping Point compo which was to text a word to 63339 which I did on Tuesday 9th at 15:07 and that worked just fine.

Basically never had any issues with any compo except the new gadget show compo.
Userlevel 1
I emailed idmobile and got a reply basically saying it's nothing to do with idmobile and its channel 5 causing the issue, which in theory could be true, so I am contacting them to see what they say and will post back with my findings.
I get exactly the same error when using short-code 65555. I've tried it several times for various different programs, the last one being "A Year in Canada" just the other day. Tried it several times just now and still get "Error 28". I have premium calls enabled in my iD mobile App
Spend cap is £5 - I understand the cost of this text is £1.50. I haven't gone over my limit, I still have £5 available. I wasn't aware that the cap was for texts and calls - thought it just applied to data. In any event, if that's the reason, why doesn't it say so!? Why give out mysterious error codes when you could give a user-friendly error message?

I tried upping the cap to £10 - still the same - error 28. So what does "Error 28" say when you look it up in the manual - I presume you have a manual?
I also tried with Adult Content Filtering turned off - still the same, error 28.
Just to confirm, when I was with O2, 65555 worked fine. It's only since I've been with iD (about 6 months) that I've had the problem.
I can't enter the 65555 competitions either with keywords railway/gadget.

I have contacted the chat support but they don't know what's up. Restarted the phone, turned off and on Premium settings and checked and upped my cap, but still no joy.

I entered the competition using the 0902... premium telephone number instead but disappointed that I can't just send a one word text.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @HCHT,

I have responded to your dedicated thread regarding this here.

Ryan
How do I access here? Just get a UN and PW prompt.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @HCHT,

I have amended the link so it should now work.

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?