Solved

Text messages: Your pin is XXX/ getfitcoach.co.uk

• 15 October 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1

Just wondering if anybody else has had any problems like below:

It started when I received an odd text from 07378 903141 (a company called Shopsafe) at the end of last month giving me a pin and telling me to ignore the message if I didn’t request it.

Shortly afterwards I received a text from 66299 (getfitcoach.co.uk) for which I was charged £4.50.

At this point I should make it clear that I would never sign up to any premium texts (or indeed any regular text service) - in fact, I rarely even use my mobile phone and only have it for emegencies.  Also I have no interest in fitness web sites.

I phoned id & they gave me another number (and gave me a credit for the £4.50): 0208 089 9319.  Apparently I had signed up for this service in June!  If that was really the case then it’s odd that this was the first time that they had charged me.

In the last week I’ve heard of two other people having exactly the same happening to them - again they were people who only use their phone for emergencies and would never sign up for any premium texts.

I’ve since done a bit of research and there’s a large number of people online reporting the same thing happening - ie: https://who-called.co.uk/Number/2,66299

Anybody else?

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 16 October 2019, 17:18

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 1

It happened to me, quite some time ago when I was on another network, for something called iFit. The annoying thing was that I didn’t notice it for months, because it was for a relatively small amount each time. My network did give me a credit though. I consider myself to be quite security aware, but these things can be activated by just opening the text or clicking a link apparently.

This Community article has some good info on stopping these nuisance texts:

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/blog-45/how-to-stop-nuisance-calls-and-texts-30595

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello@ciderboy,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve fallen victim to these charges.

iD Mobile does not directly charge you for this so we wouldn’t be required to provide a refund for this. I can see in this instance, a good-will gesture was given to you for the charge. The subscription charges us which we place onto your bill. 

The text subscriptions are only signed up from the user end not by the network so we're not able to stop these or unsubscribe. To stop the subscription by texting them back incurs a charge but it will stop any further messages.

There's a regulatory body called the Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA) who regulate these. If you believe that this was signed up in error and are disputing the charges, you can make a complaint via the PSA here: https://psauthority.org.uk

PSA should be able to help further as well as give you more information on this. They will be able to help you stop receiving further subscriptions as well as assist in recovering any monies paid. 

Please also see the following article: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/im-being-charged-for-unwanted-premium-rate-text-messages

The above article also covers more information on this.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your message.

I appreciate that the refund was a gesture of goodwill and am impressed that id Mobile did that for me.

I’m just concerned that this (offshore) company has clearly found a way around any protection offered to consumers with these premium texts.

All three occurrences I mentioned (one of the others was also id Mobile, the other was Three) had been reported to PSA before I posted this.

I still find it quite amazing that an authority which was alledgedly granted by me in June did not result in a charge to me until 3+ months later - particularly as it was to gain access to a fitness site.

What is slightly more concerning is that it’s possible to sign into the getfitcoach site using a random phone number.  Does that mean that that number is being charged £4.50 as well despite the owner of that number not having authorised it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @ciderboy 

We wouldn’t be able to speak on behalf of this getfitcoach site as we have no association with them.  Though it certainly does sound like something to be concerned with if it is so simple to receive charges from them.  We’d of expected there to be more verification or confirmation to be required before any sort of sign up.

It would be worth directing your questions or concerns to the PSA though, they may be able to answer this or potentially investigate the company further as needed.

Hey I had the same thing, same text from that number, I blocked it straight away as I saw comments on https://scam-numbers.co.uk/Number/07378903141/ saying its very bad and to block but want to know if I am definitely safe from being charged? Will I be charged for the original text? 

I definitely didnt subscribe to anything, it just came out of the blue 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @MsInga,

You can see any charges in the app.

We recommend reviewing our above response.

Mohammed

I am also being charged for premium text messages for something I never asked for, 66299 getfitcoach has text me and you have charged me £4.50 a month despite me not responding.

Seems like this is pretty common with ID mobile - coincidence…. I think not.

Not only this I have tried to cancel my contract, your company told me I had to pay for an extra month, I did. Now I’m being told I have to pay for another month! I tried to cancel this back in January. Why am I still being charged?? 

Cancel my contract and stop charging me!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @CharlieG,

The Premium texts is something affecting all networks. 

Just search premium SMS message on Google and you will see other forums with the same issue.

Just follow the steps in the Best Answer for how to deal with this.

As for cancelling, cancelling requires 30-days notice to be provided. During this time, biulls are produced as normal and any charges incurred past the notice period are creditted back to you.

Mohammed

i just got a text today from 66299 for something ive never heard of called ‘getfit.co.uk’

i was immediately alerted that ive used 80% of my allowance (which is impossible because i dont ever use the phone. its for emergencies only) and saw that i was charge £4.50 by the aforementioned 66299 number

i never signed up for anything. only about 2 people even know my number.

what can i do? im not paying £4.50 for just RECEIVING a text message.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @custardcream,

We are sorry to hear this. If you read the replies above, this should answer any questions that you have regarding the text. Unfortunately we aren’t the company who charge you for the text on the bill as it comes from the subscription company directly. The best thing to do here is to contact them directly to ask to be removed from the subscription service along with asking for a refund. 

You can use the PSA website for help with ways of contacting the subscription company.

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?