Question

Texting 5 digit numbers (Shortcodes)

I have been unable to use 5 digit text numbers to contact BBC Radio 6 music and am concerned about whether I can text other 5 digit numbers at all.  I’m going to Glastonbury next week, and their onsite police team have a 5 digit text number to report anything, and when I’m travelling on the train, British Transport Police also use a 5 digit text number.  Obviously I don’t want to send test texts to the police, but I need to know that I can contact them if I need to.  

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Mandy Winter,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with sending texts to shortcode numbers.

These are usually classed as Premium messages so you need to make sure that the Premium SMS feature is allowed in the iD app.

You should be able to find this under My Services.

Could you double check this for us?

Also, if the text incurs a charge, you’ll need to make sure your minimum spend cap is increased to allow the text to go through. Sometimes, even if it’s a free text, you need to have your cap increased even to £1.00 for it to send (but no charge incurred in that case). 

Have you checked on our Shortcode checker here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/call-charges

Just scroll down to Section 8. Shortcodes  and enter the number you are trying to text.

This should show any charges related to said number as well as connection charges etc. 

If the number doesn’t show on the results and you have already got Premium SMS messages allowed in the app, with an increased spend cap, then this is what will be causing the issue, as the number(s) will not be setup on the network.

Have a look and let us know if you are still facing issues by letting us know the 5 digit code you are texting so we can review further.

Mohammed

Good evening, reading the post from Mohammed above, I have checked my settings and the ‘Premium’ feature is turned on. However, if I text a short code, say ITV.com, I receive a text to say that premium texts are not included in my price plan and will incur a charge. My spending cap is set to £10 so shouldn't be an issue. However, even though the text hasn’t been sent, as I used to get a message to let me know that my text had been received when I was on 3, I don't get this confirmation text but get charged the 15p for sending the text by ID Mobile. It is obviously not a carrier issue as it worked when I was on 3 directly, but as ID Mobile use the 3 network it would appear to be an ID Mobile issue. Can somebody explain how to correct this please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Rhodri Evans,

It’s also worth checking that premium messaging is enabled on your handset also.

Just to confirm you are being charged for the messages even though they haven’t sent?

Sorry for any confusion when you refer to a confirmation text do you mean a text that you receive from the company you have text or the network provider?

Kash

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @Rhodri Evans,

It’s also worth checking that premium messaging is enabled on your handset also.

Kash

Hey @Kash, is toggling premium messaging on/off an Android option, or an iOS option, or an option available in both these smartphone operating systems?

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Kash, thanks for replying. Just to confirm, my bill had 60p of charges (4 x 15p) and the reply I’m referring to not receiving is from the company that I initially texted, but the only reply was from ID Mobile to let me know that the text that I sent was not in my price plan.

I have tried turning premium of and back on but this has not made a difference. My phone is an Apple 12, in case that makes a difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Rhodri Evans,

What’s the number that you’re texting? I’m keen to find out why the texts aren’t going through but still being billed.

Mohammed

The short code was 79100 and the charge would have been £5

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hey @Rhodri Evans

I had a search for that short code and couldn’t find what it relates to - is this a specific text Competition on ITV? I can see that they’ve got a post regarding a issue on their end regarding one of their text comps: https://www.itv.com/win/competitions/paid/16435/boost-your-bank-balance-with-10000/sms

Hope this clears things up, if not we’ll get to the bottom of it eventually 😊

Thanks,
Nikhil

Hi Nikhil, that is just one of the last numbers I’ve entered and been charged for but not had the usual confirmation text back. I texted 88291 which is Radio 2 in August too but had no auto reply text.

It seems to be short codes as a whole and not just to one number or company. There are also a lot of previous threads relating to this issue.

Userlevel 1

hi there,

I do have the same problem.

I texted a 5 digit number and recevied a message warnign me about the charge.

That number is supposed to send me a code but I never received it.

I first thought I entered the number wrong so tried again,

Now I have been charged 0.15p twice but not received any codes!

Please help. The number is 79100.

thanks

NicoS, I suggest changing to another provider. I came to ID Mobile from 3 as they use the same network, but less monthly charge. My bill with ID Mobile was £8 for 20GB. I’ve now gone back to 3 using uswitch and got 100GB for £10. It appears ID Mobile don’t believe they have an issue when so many people clearly have the same issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi there,

I do have the same problem.

I texted a 5 digit number and recevied a message warnign me about the charge.

That number is supposed to send me a code but I never received it.

I first thought I entered the number wrong so tried again,

Now I have been charged 0.15p twice but not received any codes!

Please help. The number is 79100.

thanks

Hey @NicoS,

Have you ever been able to previously sign up for this service in the past? 

Or has this never worked?

If I’m correct, the number is linked to a website that offers a subscription service that would bill you on your next bill £5.00?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I have in the past with my previous providers (both EE and Three).

and yes you are correct. it will give be a charge of £5.

I have an allowance of extra £10 on my IDmobile account and checked all options are allowed.

I have been charged 15p for the texts (I tried twice) so it went through but I am not receiving anything back, so it looks like ID Mobile is blocking messages reaching me. Can you please allow that? 

And also not that it is much but on principle you should credit me back the 30p.

thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @NicoS 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there.

Tom

Unfortunately, the original post to this thread was 5 months ago created by Mandy Winter, so if it hasn’t been sorted yet, I very much doubt it will be. Number transferred back to 3 yesterday so good luck with getting it sorted.

Why iD Mobile?