Question

Unable to make or receive phone calls in thelast few days

• 28 March 2020
  • 5 replies

In the last few days (since the UK government ‘lockdown’ for Covid 19) my mobile signal strength has been so poor (around -100dBm) that I have been unable to make or receive any phone calls.  Calls to my number go straight to voicemail.  I eventually receive a text to say that there is a new voicemail message but I cannot contact voicemail to listen to it.  I can send texts but it takes several hours for any texts sent to me to arrive in my inbox.  is there an issue with the Three network in my area?  In the current climate it is essential that your community can keep in touch so how quickly might this problem be fixed?  This is only a very recent problem for me.  Is there a technical fault?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @KLJ,

We are sorry to hear about the issues you have had with the service whilst at home. It is a possibility that due to the isolation measures in place, more and more people will be using their phones whilst at home resulting in some masts becoming congested. You can check for any identified faults here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage but if you see none, then please let us know your postcode here and we can run a more thorough search on the mast status in your area.

Ryan

Hi Ryan.  Thank you for your reply.  I have checked on your link and it isn’t showing any faults for my postcode although it does say that only 3G is available.  I thought when I took out the contract that 4G was available.  Can you confirm that iD uses Three’s network?  Three’s website states “We are really sorry.  There is an issue with the network in your area at the moment. This fault has been going on for longer than we expected.  Please check back after 7 days to get an update on this issue.”.  

I am happy to let you have my postcode so that you can run a more thorough search.  How can I do that in a confidential way so that it does not go onto the public domain on iD Community?  

Are you able to find out from Three what the issue is and why it is taking so long to resolve?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @KLJ,

We do in fact use Three UK’s masts for coverage.

That’s odd, there might be an issue with the coverage checker not showing this on our end but is on Three UK’s ends.

You should be able to provide the full postcode here as it won’t do much than show the area, however, if you’d prefer to do this privately, you can reach out to us on Social Media also.

Mohammed

Thanks Mohammed.  Three’s website is now showing no network issues for 3G in my area but still no 4G coverage.  I have just tried to make a call but it is not connecting.  I posted another question about using WiFi calling instead.  I can’t seem to make it work even though I have WiFi calling enabled on my phone.  I just want to be able make and receive calls.  Please can you help. 

My postcode only covers a dozen properties.  I don’t use social media!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @KLJ 

Welcome to the iD Community.

I’ve sent you a direct message with further information.

Pearl

Why iD Mobile?