Question

unable to receive text messages from bank

Hi all

Need some help. 

I'm not able to receive automated messages such as authentication codes or passcodes from my bank. I get messages from all other contacts, though have yet to see if it will work with other automated messages asking for codes via text message. I'm a little worried as codes sent via text to authorise payments etc is quite common now and if I don't get the messages I'll not be able to do any banking.

I ported my number over and received a text from ID mobile saying my number had successfully transferred over. I've been told to wait until 6pm today to allow for the full porting process to finish but as I'm getting other texts why is it just this one with the issue? Its definitely not blocked. 

Anyone else have this issue? Any help to resolve would be appreciated! 

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What handset are you using?

Samsung s22

It's not just my bank that It's not working with, i tried a shopping site too that requires a verification code and that didn't come through either. 

Seems to be a problem for a lot of people looking at this community page, tech team seem to get involved, just hoping they see my problem too. Wish I could speak to a human instead of live chat where they had no clue! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

When did your number port compete? Seen this issue crop up on all the networks, looks like it takes an extra 24/48 hours for the everything to settle and start working as it should.

Its been 24hrs, I guess I'll wait another 24hrs and see if it resolves. Feels unlikely though. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Don't forget to power down your phone and power it back on after the porting process completes.

Yeah I've tried that, no luck. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Priya_m, have you tried a Network Reset on your Galaxy S22 yet?

Resetting the network settings may help - but the following are cleared or restored to default values:

• Mobile and Wi-Fi network settings (including saved networks and passwords)

• Bluetooth®

According to Samsung, the following steps reset your S22 network settings:

1. Start the Settings app
  2. Tap General management
  3. Tap Reset
  4. Tap Reset network settings
  5. Tap Reset settings

You may need to confirm you want to reset your network setting - anyway, good luck.

I'm reluctant to mess with network settings on the phone in case I make it worse. What if nothing comes back

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry, what do you mean by “What if nothing comes back”?

@andewhite I've tried resetting the network settings. No joy. Turned the phone off for 10 mins after that too, still nothing. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Priya_m, this issue might be as a result of starting to use your new S22 with the (temporary) number from iD Mobile, which will cause problems when you eventually do port your number to iD.

This happens because Google Messages app uses “Chat features”, meaning the number linked to the device when you first use their Messages apps gets used by Google servers handling the “Chat features” for their app.

If you turn OFF “Chat features” for a couple of weeks, then the Google servers should manage to sort things out.

Otherwise, Google search “disable Messages chat features” for online help.

Good luck.

@andewhite thank you. I've tried turning off chat features but still no luck. Not sure I can wait 2 weeks as I need OTPs for a number of log ins. I've also now found I can't access live chat on my phone anymore, just comes up with an error which wasn't there before. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Just turn OFF “Chat features” and leave it OFF. You probably won’t notice any difference.

This solution worked for @Joe6734 (see their “not receiving short code sms” topic), for a similar issue.

Try using the live chat on a tablet or laptop if you can.

There’s an known issue between https://www.idmobile.co.uk and https://community.idmobile.co.uk, when used on the same device with the same browser. Live chat should work if you log out of your iD Community account and stay logged out while using live chat.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Priya_m,

Seems that your issue is sometimes due to a problem with three (iD’s network partner), whereby they’re not routing these messages to iD Mobile’s customers correctly.

This is explained by iD Support in a post in the topic “OTP not coming through from my bank”, by @SRM1

Why iD Mobile?