Question

Upgrade price no different to regular price

• 21 June 2022
  • 3 replies

I’m wanting to upgrade from my current SIM only plan. The Upgrade options on my account show my chosen phone (Samsung A22 5G) as £13.99 pm for 2Gb. This is exactly the same price and data as I can get from other places. Is there no benefit to ‘upgrading’ rather than just buying new?

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I guess the only benefits are it’s easier to keep your existing mobile number, and you get inclusive roaming to 50 EU destinations at no extra cost.

If you’re happy to get a deal elsewhere, ask for your PAC and port your mobile number to your new deal provider - anyway, good luck.  

Thank you for the reply andewhite. Since I never travel abroad and have never had trouble keeping my existing number, neither of those options are a benefit to me. There was a time when ‘upgrades’ were a little cheaper than the regular price as an incentive for us to stay with the network rather than shop around. Clearly that has changed and ID aren’t interesting in keeping our business. It’s not a problem as there are some great ‘new customer’ deals out there. Thanks again.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you’re after a better deal, try calling 7777 from your iD handset, choose thinking-of-leaving-us option, which might get you a deal.

Currys sometimes offer in-store deals, although I’m not sure they’ll be able to offer an upgrade or change of plan option.

These days, seems most utility and insurance companies just want new customers - they then rely on customer inertia, while nudging-up prices. 

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

Why iD Mobile?