Solved

why cant i use wifi calling on s9 plus i bought from somewhere else? you can use WiFi calling with Vodafone, O2

I think that ID mobile is acting unfairly by not allowing users to use wi-fi calling on mobiles not purchased from ID mobile.

I wish to make a formal complaint to ID mobile.

I've spoken with other carriers Vodafone , O2 and EE. If you take out pay monthly SIM from them and provide your own mobile, you can use WI-FI calling features as it's part of phone features.

I spoke with Samsung store at Trafford centre and they confirmed feature should always be available.

I'm looking at taking this matter to OFCOM as I believe ID mobile is acting anti competitively by stipulating mobile must be purchased from ID mobile.

Please advise.
icon

Best answer by Kevin 4 September 2019, 13:11

View original

31 replies

Do ID mobile need to enable WIFI calling at network level to make it work on my Samsung note 8?

Its enable already on my phone but it isn't working

I'm a pay monthly customer

Thanks
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Stmitchell635

Did you purchase your phone through iD Mobile or Carphone Warehouse?

Did you update your phone system to the newest available?

Answering "yes" to these is required for WiFi Calling to work with iD Mobile. There is no need for provider to activate anything on their side.

Kind Regards
I bought via somewhere else?

Cant I reinstall with firmware from ID mobile?

So unless I purchase the phone directly from ID mobile I can't use WIFI calling. Not impressed. I've used it with other networks with secondhand phones.

Id even be willing to pay for the firmware from ID

Thanks
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Phones sold by iD Mobile don't have specific firmware version. They use the same version as unlocked sim free handsets. The difference is that they are setup to work with WiFi Calling provided by iD Mobile.

Since you have WiFi Calling option in the settings there is a chance that you might get it to work but very likely you will need to tweak some of the hidden settings and research a bit how to do it.

Is your phone running the latest available version of Android? Fix could be as simple as updating your phone.

Kind Regards
Cant wait for a reply from ID
Userlevel 3
I think that ID mobile is acting unfairly by not allowing users to use wi-fi calling on mobiles not purchased from ID mobile.

I wish to make a formal complaint to ID mobile.

I've spoken with other carriers Vodafone , O2 and EE. If you take out pay monthly SIM from them and provide your own mobile, you can use WI-FI calling features as it's part of phone features.

I spoke with Samsung store at Trafford centre and they confirmed feature should always be available.

I'm looking at taking this matter to OFCOM as I believe ID mobile is acting anti competitively by stipulating mobile must be purchased from ID mobile.

Please advise.

I had previously brought a S8 from another store and WiFi calling worked completely fine with ID Mobile 🤔
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hi @Stmitchell635 and welcome to our iD Mobile community here.

Firstly. We can absolutely shut down any sort of claims that we're withholding the feature from people simply because the phone was not bought from ourselves. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Some major network's make it so that certain features with a phone will only work when you use that phone with the network the phone was purchased from originally. Sure you might be able to get the phone unlocked once your contract is up, but a couple of features may be useless with another network (so this wouldn't just solely be with ourselves).

For us to withhold Wi-Fi calling would mean we'd be cutting down our potential customer base, given how important WiFi calling can be to certain buildings. So believe us, in this case, it's them, not us.

Have you been able to try another SIM (not just an iD one or the original network's SIMs, with the phone in question?). If it's working with other network's, but not ourselves, then it could potentially be that something within the phones settings is causing a conflict.
Userlevel 2
Hi @Stmitchell635

You should try another sim, it might just be the sim itself not allowing it to work.
Ni. ID said unless you purchase phone from them WIFI calling won't work.

I've reported matter to OFCOM.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Stmitchell635,

After investigating this further with our Team, they've advised WiFi Calling should work in a handset regardless of where it's purchased.

If you'd like to contact us directly via our email  we'll be able to log this for you and investigate further.

Please could you email us with the following information:

Full make and model of the handset
What software are you currently using in the handset (found in the settings)
How strong is your WiFi Connection (download speeds/upload speeds)
Where did you purchase the handset

We'll then look into this further.

Mohammed

Samsung S9 plus
Model number SM-G965F
Android version 9
16.5 Mbps down
9.38 Mbps up

I bought from second hand shop called cash converters.

If you could investigate further please, apologies for delay getting back to you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thanks for confirming this information @Stmitchell635,

I'll pass this over to the Team who will liaise with the manufacturer to see if we can get some further information on this. It may be some-time for a response, feel free to check back here in a few weeks to see if we've got any update. I'm not exactly sure how long this would take though.

f we get something back sooner, we'll let you know here.

Mohammed
Please could I have an update.

It shouldn't take this long to resolve. It's unfair I struggle with getting a signal at home, when I could use WIFICalling.

How do I make an official complaint? Unless you can give me a resolution date?

I feel I have no choice but to report the matter to OFCOM.

Plus I'd like a refund for being unable to use the WIFI facility.
The phone is fully update.

Its a problem with your network not allowing WIFI calling.

I used the phone with a Vodafone O2 SIM and WiFi calling worked fine. Hence proving problem is with ID mobile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Stmitchell635,

I've merged your two topics together due to both the topics relating to the same issue.

Please refrain from creating separate topics relating to the same issue.

We've already escalated this as advised
Thanks for confirming this information @Stmitchell635,

I'll pass this over to the Team who will liaise with the manufacturer to see if we can get some further information on this. It may be some-time for a response, feel free to check back here in a few weeks to see if we've got any update. I'm not exactly sure how long this would take though.

f we get something back sooner, we'll let you know here.

Mohammed

It will take some time but we'll be sure to get back to you when we have a response as the Team will need to liaise with the manufacturer.

I apologise for any inconvenience you may be incurring so far.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
I have not purchased my phone from iD mobile but WiFi calling is working. It wouldn't work until I got a new enough phone though.
Its a S9 plus. Should work. Its latest phone
Userlevel 4
Have you tried getting your phone unlocked maybe that the case, try updating to the newest software and shutting down then re entering sim, most of the time this fixes sim related problems
Its an unlocked phone, all software is fine, checked by Samsung shop in Manchester.

Its a problem with ID mobile network. WIFI calling work on other networks!

Amazing how it's taken over a month now to resolve? Really poor service really.
Userlevel 4
I feel your pain, I’m not sure actually because sometimes my calls just automatically direct to WiFi call even though I want audio
Userlevel 4
They should really get it fixed
They don't fully support customers who buy hardware elsewhere.

Im going to report matter to OFCOM
Userlevel 4
Maybe my man Mohamed can help us out
Userlevel 1
Hi, another unhappy customer here unable to use wifi calling!

My Samsung S8 handset is compatible and updated, my wifi is superfast and I use it all the time for accessing the internet.
I live in rural Cornwall and cannot get ID service network inside the house, thus relying on wifi calling and texts which worked perfectly fine on my S8 whilst I was on the EE network.

After trying several possible solutions I have read about and then spending some time with an advisor on chat, I am no further forward. Visiting a carphone warehouse store for a diagnostic check is not practical as there no store remotely close by, plus after reading what others have said, it would not be worthwhile anyway!

I noticed a solution elsewhere on this forum that said:

"We'll mark this topic as solved with the answer being that we were unable to provide WiFi Calling due to incompatible software due to the device not being purchased directly from iD Mobile.

Mohammed"

which suggests that wifi calling may not be available for everyone.

If this is the case, ID have some very misleading advertising and those of us unable to access wifi calling have purchased a service not fit for purpose.

I did think that the previous woes of Carphone Warehouse were behind them and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.....it seems I may well have been wrong!

Luckily I am able to cancel my contract, and would urge others, if you are still within your 30 days, to do the same rather than wait for a solution that doesnt appear to be present.

I do agree that raising this with OFCOM is the right approach. There are many others in the same situation and new potential customers should be aware of the limitations of the ID service.
Userlevel 4
Good idea

Why iD Mobile?