Solved

Why does the Mobile Data take 100MB at start-up

• 1 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Just recently I got the 80% Data used and wonder why?..  After some investigation I have noticed that If I check the Data from my PC before turning on the phone  ( example 398MB remaining ), if i turn my phone on and check the Data amount when connect to my Internal WiFi ( Not Mobile ) I then see the Data remaining as 298MB ). I assume that as soon as I turn the phone on it connects to the Mobile system then quickly disconnect and back to Internal WiFi.

If I check it again on the PC about an hour later it is back to the 398MB

Can someone who knows about this system explain what the purpose is.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Johnny B 3 September 2021, 16:45

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Johnny B thanks for getting in touch.

Are you saying that your phone always uses 100GB data before connecting to your home WiFi? Has your phone not been connected to WiFi when you have been using, and you have perhaps not noticed? Occasionally WiFi can go down (I know mine does) in which case my phone will switch to data and I won’t always notice. Could that have happened perhaps? 

Userlevel 1

Hi Sian…  The Wifi is solid. 

I did another test today…   

The Phone was turned off last night and left on charge,,

This morning ( with the phone still not turned on ) I logging on from my PC to check the data amount.

I had a rollover of 1gb which was added to the 390MB from the previous month total shown is 1.39 GB

I turn on the phone

It does a handshake on 4g to the network and then after about 8 second defaults to WiFi so the 4g symbol has gone and the WiFi symbol is showing,

I then Log on to idmobile from the phone which is STILL connected to my internal WiFi

Is show Data amount 1.29GB

So, 100 MB has been lost/allocated to something. Clearly you can use 100MB in about 8 seconds

Android..  Phone 

All apps are closed… <<<<

All Background options ate turned off where there is the option to turn it off <<<

I then decide to go for a walk using my Sports Tracker app for about 30 minutes

Wifi still enable as I leave the front door, but changes to Mobile data in a some seconds

I come back from the walk

As i get inside the house the 4g drops and the Wifi automatically connects as shown on the symbols

I check on the phone how much data has been used, as I know this ST app only download Maps if I go somewhere I have not been before

Login to idmobile to check data…

Data amount available - 1.29GB..   So nothing extra has ben used by my ST app

After about an hour, I check again on the PC and the Data shown is now 1.39GB

It seems the system allocate 100MB for reasons that I don’t really understand.  

Hence my question

Maybe you can also give it a try and see..

Regards and thanks

John

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Johnny B,

The 100MB is reserved to be able to use the iD App in the scenario that all the rest of the data has been used, so that customers can still control their plan in a worse case scenario.

Hope this helps.

Will

Userlevel 1

Hi Will, thanks for the update.  I guessed there must be a reason and it does make sense..  Many thanks..

Why iD Mobile?