Question

Why no warning for 4-day Three network outage B28 / B90.

• 20 July 2021
  • 4 replies

I read on Three’s website that "Keeping you (me with iD) connected is always our (Three’s) number one priority". Being retired and looking after my disabled wife, I heavily rely on my iD mobile phone, carried on Three's network. It is now FOUR DAYS since my voice calls stopped working properly at postcode B28 0** (adjacent to B90). Texts now won't work either. How long must we expect this to last: we feel very vulnerable whilst unable to easily call our family for help, or even send a text! 

We do not feel like we’ve been given any priority.  Should Three not be obliged to notify “piggy-back” providers like iD-mobile, so they in turn can warn us vulnerable people that Three are about to shut down part of their network for "improvements".

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @BrummagemFlash 

iD Mobile do not offer the same services as Three, therefore you would not always be informed of any unplanned outages.

Have you tried turning your phone off and back on again, this is s simple test that can get your services back up and running?

We can check the latest status of the coverage within your area, please could you confirm the full postcode of the area you are seeing issues?

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Tried obvious tests on phone, like turning off and on, clearing caches. Proved phone is working as texts arrived on it as I was visiting local Currys/ CarphoneW at far side of B90 area.

Three’s website shows a vague message about problems in my (B28 0US) area, with no suggestion of when they may reinstate service. As I’ve been with iD for years, and I don’t have a 3 number, I can’t find out anything further from there.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @BrummagemFlash 

I can confirm there is currently an unplanned outage within your postal area.

Our engineers are working on a fix and hope to have your services back up and running as quickly as possible. 

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

I thank you for checking our local network status. Thankfully, I think my iD phone service is now returned to normal: as a few texts arrived sometime last night, and my phone’s call signal icon appears live again.

Was this outage “unplanned”, as you call it?  Three patently knew interruption to their network’s service was very likely to their direct and indirect clients, during their long-planned G5-upgrading work.

My suggestion is that iD, and other services carried on 3-network, should request advanced notification from Three about periods of expected local service interruptions, as during planned engineering work on their network. iD and those other suppliers could then warn their customers of such outages.

Surely this should be a standard “courtesy” between all networks and their “carried service” businesses. It would cost next to nothing, yet be so helpful to all “carried service” customers, and particularly to vulnerable users who should never be left without any warning of likely outages!

Why iD Mobile?