Solved

wifi calling

• 13 February 2021
  • 23 replies

Just trying to connect new SIM.  Can get no signal in or near house so NEED wifi calling, which has worked fine with my old provider and current phone (Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017)) for several years.  This is a ‘supported device’ for ID mobile, you say.  Have followed all connection routes on this website and phone instructions and appears NOT to be supported device. What am I doing wrong?

icon

Best answer by Will 18 February 2021, 14:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

23 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Mike E 

Could you try turning off WiFi calling in the phone, restarting your router, then turning the WiFi calling back on and seeing if the problem is the same?

Have you been able to test if WiFi calling is working on another WiFi network other than your home one?

If you've tried both the above and you see no change please let us know.

-Mohsin

Hve tried both of these and still no wifi calling.  The part of the settings where wifi calling should be does not come up on the phone, which it always has doen with previous provider.  Wifi calling has worked fine with wifi here and on this phone for last 3-4 years, only change is to ID.  Wifi calling still working on my wife’s phone (via 3 and different provider). 

Not hearing anything from ID.   Please reply - if nothing heard will have to leave ID and go elsewhere where they can help

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

HI @Mike E 

If you purchased your phone elsewhere, we can’t guarantee that the device will be compatible with Wi-Fi Calling on our network, unfortunately.

Is your phone running the most up-to-date system software?

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Phone came from Vodafone when new - Samsung say that if the phone is unlocked (it is) you (new provider) can amke sure that the wifi calling is not blocked as it is your software which is doing this??  Have updated all software to latest version.  Anything you can do to get this working, will be most grateful for!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Mike E,

We can’t I’m afraid. It’ll have firmware placed on there by Vodafone. The only way to get it off would be to flash the handset, but this can void the warranty if it’s still within its 2 year warranty period.

Will

I thought perhaps I should relate my own wifi calling story as a warning to others.

We changed to IDmobile as we have poor mobile signal at home (with all networks!) and we had been paying for a so-called booster box which allowed our phone (Motorola G6 Play) to make and receive 3G calls via our broadband link.  We got a good IDmobile SIM-only deal, but, sadly we realised too late that the G6 Play is not on their wifi calling supported list.  So we tried our son’s Samsung Galaxy J4+, but that didn’t work either.

In view of Michelle’s comment above, we thought we would buy a phone from IDmobile, then it would be guaranteed to work.  However, it seems that IDmobile don’t sell phones.  Not to worry, thinking IDmobile and Carphone Warehouse were one and the same, we bought a Doro 7080 from Carphone Warehouse.  The wifi calling option was greyed out, so I visited the Carphone Warehouse store in Cambridge.  After some hours of work by the very helpful staff there - and a replacement SIM from IDmobile - we all came to the conclusion that the Doro 7080 doesn’t work either, even though it is on the list and was apparently bought from the same organisation.  We are, of course, sending it back.

I can only conclude that IDmobile does not support wifi calling on SIM only deals - because you have to get the phone from IDmobile and they don’t sell phones.

Roger S.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @rs12rs12 

We are sorry to hear the Doro handset you purchased from Carphone Warehouse did not work on WI-Fi calling. We can confirm we do sell handsets through our website. Please see below: 

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/phones/pay-monthly#sort=daily_popularity-desc

-Mohsin

Thanks Mohsin, but those all seem to be contracts and pay monthly deals.  Where are your phone sales please?  A refurbished phone would be ideal, but I can’t find those either.  Roger S.

Aha!  Found them at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/phones/sim-free#sort=upfrontcost-asc

Now - please can you tell me which is the cheapest of those which will guarantee thatwifi calling will work?

Thanks.  Roger S.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @rs12rs12 

I have found that the Samsung A02s is the cheapest sim-free phone available that is also a compatible Wi-Fi calling handset. 

Please see link below:

idmobile.co.uk/shop/sim-free/samsung-galaxy-a02s-32gb-white

-Mohsin

Thanks Mohsin.  I’ll give it a go when I get the refund from Carphone Warehouse.  They tell me it can take two to four weeks!  Roger S.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No problem @rs12rs12,

Let us know if you need any further help!

Mohammed

OK - got the Samsung A02s as suggested - and it works!

Thanks for all the help.

rs12rs12

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Awesome, glad to hear that @rs12rs12

Let us know if you need any help.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Roger S, a word of warning from a fellow iD mobile user on a Samsung A02s. 

I have been on iD for about 12 months, previously using a Samsung S7 Edge, with wi-fi calling, (which is essential to me).  One day the S7 stopped working completely so I had to purchase a new phone. 

I bought the Samsung A02s phone SIM-free having checked it was on the iD supported list and inserting my iD SIM which worked fine.  Then…. on Thursday 27th May, Samsung rolled out an upgrade for Android 11 and my A02s then stopped working on wi-fi calling.  I have tried every avenue with iD support and spent a long time on Sunday with a Live Chat agent, trying to explain the problem.  The agent acknowledged that the phone is a supported model and everything is correctly setup and transferred my problem to iD Tech Support, (using reference number 248394901).They texted me this morning, (this in itself is challenging, requiring me to balance the phone on a window ledge to even receive any texts) to say “the technical issue I raised is now resolved”. I restarted the phone but there is still no wi-fi calling and I am losing the will to continue. (Just to be clear, the iD SIM works fine on wifi calling in an iPhone and an EE SIM works fine on wifi calling in the Samsung A02s so the problem appears to be with iD in conjunction with the Samsung Android 11 upgrade, if only iD would acknowledge this)

Beware the Android update because having also contacted Samsung they say I should contact my network provider so I am being passed from pillar to post.  Only option seems to be to change network to one that can acknowledge the problem is not caused by me and cares enough to want to resolve the issue.

Userlevel 1

Hi Mike, I have exactly the same problem, the Android 11 upgrade rolled out last week appears to have stopped my wi-fi calling working. Having contacted Samsung, whilst helpful, they referred me back to the network provider as being responsible for the issue with wi-fi calling no longer working.  Tell your wife not to accept the Android 11 update, if a choice is offered.

The most helpful thing iD could perhaps consider is advising any potential subscribers that unless they purchase a phone directly from iD mobile then they should not consider taking up the iD service to avoid any protracted frustrations in future.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @CXW,

This is indeed disappointing to read. Could you elaborate a little on what it was Samsung advised? Just that if it was their update that suddenly stopped it on two devices, it does sound like something they should be aware of.

Will

Edit: I’ve moved your post from another topic over here, so that nothing is missed.

Userlevel 1

Hi Will, thank you for your response.

This is the message I shared with Samsung via the Samsung Members feature on my phone:

“On 27th May 2021, Samsung pushed out an upgrade to my Samsung A02s phone, which I (mistakenly with hindsight) accepted. Wi-Fi calling has now stopped working. I bought the phone SIM free, brand new, three weeks ago having specifically confirmed that it supported wi-fi calling on my iD SIM.
The phone supports dual sims and having tried every permutation of adding/removing the SIM before/after switching off/on, in and out of airplane mode and even turning anticlockwise three times nothing has resolved the issue. Interestingly my work phone, (iPhone 7 on EE) which works fine on wi-fi calling happily allows my iD SIM to be inserted and supports wi-fi calling. 

Similarly, I can put the EE SIM into the Samsung A02s, alongside the iD SIM and wi-fi calling also works fine on the EE SIM but not the iD SIM,  Does anyone have any thoughts where responsibility for this might lie, clearly the iD SIM appears to work in my iPhone, just no longer ,since the upgrade, in my Samsung A02s, and likewise my EE SIM works on Wi-Fi calling in my Samsung A02s.”

Samsung replied with some instructions to default the Access Point names and restart, clean the SIM and toggle off the RCS settings in messaging (!?) none of which made any difference.  

I fed back to them and they responded that:

“We can confirm that the WiFi calling feature is provided by the network provider as they are able to support and activate this feature for you or answer any queries you may have.”

Thanks

Cathrin

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Thanks @CXW,

We’ll drop you a Private Message now to log this with our Tech Team for you.

Will

Userlevel 1

Many thanks Will, is a Private Message a text message, because I am unable to receive them at present…..? :sweat:

I got the recent upgrade on my A02s and, so far, wifi calling continues to work.  However, I did get the phone from IDmobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Many thanks Will, is a Private Message a text message, because I am unable to receive them at present…..? :sweat:

Hey @CXW a private message is via the iD Community. If you click your profile here, you should be able to access your messages from there.

@rs12rs12  glad to hear you haven’t had any issues with WiFi Calling :)

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?