Solved

WiFi calling - iPhone 6

• 21 September 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, I'm currently with GiffGaff who do not have wifi calling on SIM only (on an unlocked iPhone6), but the 3/4G signal in my home is very poor, so my question is: Is wifi calling available with ID mobile on SIM only packages?
icon

Best answer by al09 3 October 2019, 09:53

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hey @al09

It is available on any sim only contract but it isn't on payg plan. Bare in mind that WiFI Calling may not be working on handsets that weren't purchased through iD Mobile or Carphone. When you order your Sim you have 14 days to test and see if everything works fine for you, otherwise you can return your sim to any Carphone Warehouse.

Kind Regards
Userlevel 1
Thanks Hikari.

Does a 1 month contract count, or is it considered PAYG?
There seems to be some confusion over eligibility to WiFi calling. Here is a reply on another thread from ID mobile:

“Firstly. We can absolutely shut down any sort of claims that we're withholding the feature from people simply because the phone was not bought from ourselves. In fact it's quite the opposite.”

“For us to withhold Wi-Fi calling would mean we'd be cutting down our potential customer base, given how important WiFi calling can be to certain buildings…”

However the ID mobile employee also points out that an unlocked phone may have some features which will still only work with the original provider, potentially including WiFi calling. It’s ambiguous to say the least.
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hey @al09

It is really more technological than it looks. Some features on handsets purchased outside of iD Mobile may not be compatible with the provider because they were not able to assure compatibility on that feature. For example, one of the phone that I use is Blackberry Key2 and Wi-Fi Calling does not work there although handset is capable of supporting it but Blackberry themselves decided it is not needed and shut it down but on my girlfirends iPhone SE that was purchased from Vodafone is working perfectly fine because either Apple or Vodafone decided to limit its capabilities.

Another good example is purchasing Google Pixel directly from EE. They will not allow you to use this Phone in another network for 6 months and after that time will only allow original owner to unlock it by paying a fee. So when you buy this phone second hand and it is locked to EE, then wants to use it on iD Mobile will you blame iD for not working in a phone locked to EE that is not possible to unlock without consent of original owner?

BTW 30 days Sim Only deal is considered a contract.

PS: We are not employees of iD Mobile, our views and expressions our solely our own.

Kind Regards.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for your time taken in replying Hikari.

Yes I understand the limitations put on a phone by it's original (tied) provider and I shall endeavour to find out whether my phone will work with WiFi calling from ID mobile elsewhere. I am certainly not blaming ID mobile for anything. Just trying to ascertain whether WiFi calling will work on my phone using ID mobile as a provider.

Thanks for confirming that a 30 day contract is considered a contract. It is my belief (for this purpose, at least) that either GiffGaff or O2 do not consider GiffGaff 30 day contracts to be contracts.

My reference to the contributor being an employee of ID mobile is from the reference after the contributor's name. Where I am "Civilian" and you are "Mentor" he is "ID Mobile employee".

See this thread:

why cant i use wifi calling on s9 plus i bought from somewhere else? you can use WiFi calling with Vodafone, O2

and look for "Kevin" and "Mohammed". It's in the Ask a question topic.
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hey @al09

I am sorry if I have came across a the wrong way. I did not mean it this way.

To clear things out. Personally I believe that WiFi Calling should work on your iPhone as it works on my girlfriend's iPhone SE. Her phone was originally purchased from Vodafone and there is no issues with this feature. Unfortunately I cannot give you 100% guarantee that my theory will be true in your case but what I can suggest is for you to try it yourself. This is the best way to know for 100% if WiFi Calling will be working on your phone. iD Mobile offers return period that you can take advantage of when things won't work as you would like them to.

Kind Regards
Userlevel 1
Thanks again for taking the time to reply Hikari, much appreciated.

Well, my phone was bought on a Vodafone contract from Carphone Warehouse so that's encouraging. I'll probably give it a go. Once more thanks for your time.

Well, my phone was bought on a Vodafone contract from Carphone Warehouse so that's encouraging. I'll probably give it a go. Once more thanks for your time.

How did you get on with this? I have an unlocked phone and was looking at ID mobile for the price and wifi calling
Userlevel 1

How did you get on with this? I have an unlocked phone and was looking at ID mobile for the price and wifi calling

I've not done anything yet. When time/motivation permits I will post the outcome. I'm afraid it's not top of the list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @al09,

After raising the WiFi Calling Issues, the Team have asked if we can obtain some further information for those affected.

Can you please confirm for us the:

Full make & Model of the handset
Software version you are running

We'll pass on the information to our TechTeam to look into internally with the manufacturers.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Well, I had to go into town yesterday and took a slight detour to Carphone Warehouse to ask the opinion of the staff on the issue of WiFi calling using iD Mobile. The member of staff I spoke with told me as far as he knew only O2 and Vodafone have WiFi calling!

Despite this and bearing in mind the evidence from this forum I signed up for a cheap monthly package with iD.

This morning (Thursday 3rd October) my current provider, GiffGaff, was turned off so I inserted the iD SIM and waited a few seconds....and there it is, "iD WiFi Call" top left of screen. Excellent.

For the record (Mohammed, previous post) I have an iPhone 6 16GB bought new from Carphone on a Vodafone contract, unlocked by Vodafone, the phone is running iOS 12.4.2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thanks for confirming that.

That's a very odd one indeed but glad to hear it's now working! 😀

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?