Question

wifi calling not working after update to Android 11

My WiFi calling was fine until I updated my Realme7 phone to android 11. Now it will not work. I have selected it on the phone, switched off and on, all to no avail. How do I get it to work? This is important because when at home on a normal signal the conversations just keep breaking up. Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for comments

25 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @MikeGullick,

Have you tried removing the SIM card and powering down the handset for 10 minutes? This can often reestablish WiFi calling after an update stops it working I’ve found.

Please let us know how you get on either way.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried it and it still doesn't work.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @MikeGullick 

The Realme 7 is not a WIFI Calling compatible handset as per our website below: 

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling

We can only advise speaking to the Manufacturer directly regarding this. 

-Mohsin

Hi Mohsin,

The phone has the capability and I was using it with great success before android 11. Is my only real option to change service providers?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @MikeGullick,

I wouldn’t say that’s your only option if it worked previously. Have you spoken to the manufacturer about it yet?

Will

I am awaiting a response from realme.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Excellent @MikeGullick,

Please do let us know what they say and if there is anything we can do.

Will

They have referred it to their engineers. They are saying that if it worked on Android 10 then it should work on Android 11. If the engineers do not solve it I should reset my phone to factory settings (which I do not want to do as I feel I will lose too much data). If that doesn't work then their advice is to change provider.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thank you for updating us on this. We hope the engineers are able to provide more info on this issue. When doing a Factory restore, just ensure your phone backed up to date, this way you you do not need to worry as everything that has been backed up can be retrieved.

-Mohsin

This is the answer they gave. I still do not understand how this worked before the android update to 11 and will not now.

Hi Mike,
Thank you for contacting realme.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
We request you to please contact your network service provider in this regard. Wi-Fi Calling is an operator service that allows you to make and receive phone calls via a Wi-Fi connection. You can now use telephone services even in areas with no cellular coverage, such as basements, interiors of large buildings, and sheltered ground floors. To use the Wi-Fi function and enable calling, you need to connect to the Wi-Fi network and enable the service under "Settings-Dual SIM & Cellular - SiM information and settings - Wi-Fi Calling".
When the feature is working, you will see the Wi-Fi icon on the screen above the connections icon in the upper right corner.
We regret to inform you that as per Google android terms and conditions downgrade of android 11 to android 10 is not possible. 
Note - Operator provides the services, sometimes you may not get toggle option in device for enabling Wi-Fi Calling, it will be enabled by default.
In case of any further suggestion/inquiry, you can contact us by replying to the same email. 
Best Regards
Team realme Europe

realme customer support

It seems my only option is to try and find a carrier that supports WiFi calling at android 11 or one where the reception does not break up during calls.

Regards 

Mike Gullick

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Yes @MikeGullick  I understand how frustrating this must be as the WIFI-calling worked on Android 10 and now not working on Android 11. Did you try doing the factory restore as we discussed previously?

-Mohsin

I haven't tried a factory reset yet. I do not want to put my phone out off action for any length of time as I am waiting for an important call.

Personally I doubt whether a factory reset will work.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @MikeGullick 

We would advise you to perform the backup and factory reset once you have taken your important call. We will wait to hear back from you to see how you get on.

-Mohsin

Carried out a factory reset. Still will not work.:frowning2:

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Have you been back in touch with the manufacturer yet @MikeGullick?

Will

No point. They just refer me back to you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Metalguru,

Are you and @MikeGullick one and the same?

Will

Yes I am. Something must have gone wrong after my reset.

Further information:

I tried my sim card in my wife's Samsung phone and WiFi calling worked.

I tried her SIM card (Virgin mobile) in my realme7 and it WiFi calling did not work, although it works in her Samsung.

My conclusion is that realme7 is not fully compatible with Android 11.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @MikeGullick 

As the Wi-Fi calling feature working on your wife's Samsung phone, this means that the issue lies with the Realme 7 handset no longer being compatible with WI-FI calling after updating to Android 11. We can only advise waiting for the next Android 11 update which may fix this issue or changing handsets if WI-FI calling is a must for you to have.

-Mohsin 

WiFi calling is a must have for me as ID mobile's reception in my house is terrible. 

I have only recently purchased this handset so replacing it is not an option.

If the service reception does not improve or an update to android11 is not forthcoming soon, I will have to change to a service provider that gives me a decent signal in my house. It will be my only option. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Yes @MikeGullick 

We understand your point here. Please can you provide us with your postcode so we can look into the coverage in your area?

-Mohsin

ST174DB

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @MikeGullick 

We will send you a Private Message now to look into this further. To view the message sent, simply click on your profile icon and select Private Messages.

-Mohsin

hi, I'm from Canada, I have same problem, after updated Android  11 for my Samsung note 10+, the wificalling is not work, when I use Android 10,  wificalling is working without any problem.. I contacted Samsung in Canada, they said that get back to me within 72 hours.. but nobody contact me after 1 week now.. I don't think they will have solutions in this moment.. I saw lots of people complain this problem from Europe since last year...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Mann Cheung 

If the Software Update has affected the use of Wifi Calling, then it seems like Samsung will need to look into this on their end. I can only advise chasing Samsung up on your end. Once you have got a response from Samsung, and it is still not working, let us know and we will escalate to our Tech Team on our end.

-Mohsin

Why iD Mobile?