WiFi Calling not working (Honor View 20)

Userlevel 1
Hi- wifi calling on my Honor View 20 doesn't work. I tried online chat and referring to the website, but it is not clear that if the iD 4G network is down, then wifi calling goes down as well. Is this the case? It's not clear, and as I live in an area of poor reception wifi calling is key

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi- wifi calling on my Honor View 20 doesn't work. I tried online chat and referring to the website, but it is not clear that if the iD 4G network is down, then wifi calling goes down as well. Is this the case? It's not clear, and as I live in an area of poor reception wifi calling is key. All software is up to date, and I'm sitting next to my router.

Any ideas? @Phil @Mohammed
Userlevel 1
World of technology people,

Apparently iD 4G is down, so why does that affect wifi calling? In an area where I don't have network coverage, I rely on wifi calling, and the website suggests that 4g and wifi calling are completely separate/different.

Any ideas?

Pete
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @PeteS

4G Calling & WiFi Calling are 2 different/separate features.

WiFi Calling uses your WiFi network when the connection drops to a specific amount to send calls.

4G Calling uses your 4G services to send the call when you have a stable 4G connection.

Have you tried putting your phone in airplane/flight mode and then turning ON WiFi to see if you're able to connect to WiFi Calling?

To avoid bumping old topics and posting the same posts on other topics, I've created a new topic for you. Please keep all posts regarding one topic in the same section.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Yep, all tried. I've tried resetting the network connections as well (as I have read in previous chats). I'm in an area of known poor coverage, hence why I try to use wifi calling.
Badge +10
@PeteS is this a mobile you bought from ID Mobile or the carphone warehouse?

if this is that dual sim mobile you might want to check your settings... for Android 9 (pie)

• Go to the Start screen.
  • Choose Settings.
  • Scroll down.
  • Choose Wireless & networks.
  • Choose Mobile network.
  • Under SIM 1, enable VoLTE calls.
  • VoLTE has been enabled.
  • Return to the Start screen.
Userlevel 1
It's the dual sim version from the Carphone Warehouse.

The VoLTE option is not there, but 'enable wifi calling' is.

No luck with this I'm afraid.
Badge +10
@PeteS Few more things you can check;

Turn off the data connection so wifi is just enabled, also check you do not have auto switching enabled as data can take precedence over wifi and interfere.

Disable power saving mode, this can automatically turn off the Wi-Fi Network .
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
It's the dual sim version from the Carphone Warehouse.

The VoLTE option is not there, but 'enable wifi calling' is.

No luck with this I'm afraid.

Hello @PeteS,

Are you using more than 1 SIM in the device at the moment?

If so,
Could you try taking out the second non-iD SIM and ensure you've got the correct APN settings configured for mobile data and see if this makes a difference?

In the past I have seen there to be random/rare occurrence where having 2 SIMS in the phone can impact general usage.

Edit I've combined your new topic with the existing one here

World of technology people,
Apparently iD 4G is down, so why does that affect wifi calling? In an area where I don't have network coverage, I rely on wifi calling, and the website suggests that 4g and wifi calling are completely separate/different.
Any ideas?
Pete

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Ok, the helpdesk didn't know what they were talking about. My phone updated to the latest firmware version and I needed to use my sim card in an old phone to get wifi calling recognised on my account again. When I put the sim back in my phone, it started working.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @PeteS,

Thanks for letting us know! I'm glad that this has helped and we'll remember this for any future issue. Possibly the update helped too.

Ryan

Thank you @PeteS . I couldn't get wifi calling on my s10 no matter where i looked or what i did. Took your advice and put sim into an older model and wifi showed on it immediately. So i went into apn settings and copied them and then returned sim to my phone and changed apn settings. Wifi calling now works. So the settings id send at setup for samsung s10 are not correct. A couple of tweaks are needed to enable WiFi calling

Why iD Mobile?