Question

charges for calls to the USA

• 27 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I have a 30 day rolling contract SIM only deal. Not sure if that counts as a PAYG or monthly.

Anyway, I noticed that charges for calls to the US were 6p/min for monthly users but only 2p for PAYG.

Does anyone know why there is such a big difference big difference for what will essentially be the same call.

Regards,

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @norricorp,

This would be a PAYM plan.

PAYM plans get a set amount of minutes, texts and data per month for a fixed price.

Whereas PAYG plans use 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1p per MB of data so the rates for international calls also vary.

If you’re going to be mainly using international calls, perhaps you’d want to purchase a PAYG SIM instead.

It’s not possible to transfer your number from 1 iD plan to another though.

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed,

so I have a monthly plan.

But do you know why PAYG is a third of the rate that monthly users pay? I would have thought that both cost the same to provide?

Regards,

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @norricorp,

PAYG plans are considered different plans to PAYM, so it’s not a case of “they’re both an iD customer” the rates are set based upon the plan type purchased.

Using data on a PAYG plan is only 1p per MB, whereas for a PAYM plan, out of plan usage is 10.24p per MB.

Sorry I couldn’t be any clearer here.

Mohammed

Hi @Mohammed ,

so a voice call to the US is data? On the website, it charges a call to the US as 2p/min for PAYG and 6p/min for monthly.

So the same principle of paying more for data applies to voice.

I suppose my confusion is that normally PAYG is more expensive for most providers than their monthly plans - you are buying minutes and GB in advance whether they are used or not for monthly - so surprised that there is such a difference for call to overseas.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @norricorp,

Apologies for the misunderstanding there, I was simply trying to explain how the rates are different.

Putting it into perspective of calls then, it’s 40p per minute for out of plan usage on a PAYM plan and 3p per minute for a PAYG plan.

PAYG Plans are different to PAYM plans therefore their rates also differ.

I used the example of data, but the same applies to texts as well as minutes.

I can only but apologise if you’re unhappy about tha rates, however, this isn’t something we’d be changing.

Mohammed

Just to add, the charges for calls to the US on the id mobile website say that prices are 2p/min PAYG and 6p/min PAYM so are these figures incorrect because you have said they are 3p and 40p which is a big difference.

It does put me off using the phone as I now have no idea what I will be charged. eg a 10 minute call could be 60p (10 x 6p) or £4 (10 x 40p).

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @norricorp 

It is 6p per minute if you’re on a Pay Monthly plan, yes.

So you’d be charged 60p for a 10-minute call for example.

If you’re unsure about anything else though, please let us know.

Why iD Mobile?