Solved

confused as Mobile data used up despite at home

Userlevel 1

I purchased a phone from carphone warehouse a week and a half ago, my billing says I’ve used 80% of my mobile data, but with this covid19, I’ve barely been out of the house, how can this be possible?

icon

Best answer by Summerblossom 28 March 2020, 14:58

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Angela2626,

If Mobile Data has been enabled and a connection has been made, then your device will connect to the Mobile network to use services.

When at home, we recommend turning off Mobile data and leaving on WiFi.

We’re currently facing staff shortages across our social teams too, so are asking all customers to use the Community platform as first before using any other channels.  That way we can help as many customers as possible at the same time and point you in the direction of our helpful articles that we have here.  In addition, we have some other extremely knowledgeable and helpful customers who are on hand to support. This way we can get help to customers as quick as possible.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Make sure you turn off data. If your WiFi drops out, your phone will start using data instead. This only has to happen at the wrong time to start mincing though your data allowance.

Also turn off options to dual connect (i.e. there is an option on newer phones to connect to wifi AND data when the WiFi is slow).

If both of these are okay, I would check your actual ID account to see the real data usage. I would not trust a phone to give you information which only your network should have. Hopefully there will be a mismatch.

If this matches, then you need to do some investagative work. Look through your phone to see when and what data was used on and see if you can find the problem. Unfortunately this task will be down to you and nothing to do with the network. More of a personal protective measure.

Userlevel 1

I don't know the answer to this but if you're on Twitter or Facebook then pop ID a message there , they are still semi active by the looks of things, just be a little more patient with them than we normally would,  I'm sure they are stretched at the moment. 

I hope your isolation is going as well as can be and you're well.

Good luck with any help from ID and of course safety wise 

Userlevel 1

Hello @Angela2626,

If Mobile Data has been enabled and a connection has been made, then your device will connect to the Mobile network to use services.

We’re currently facing staff shortages across our social teams too, so are asking all customers to use the Community platform as first before using any other channels.  That way we can help as many customers as possible at the same time and point you in the direction of our helpful articles that we have here.  In addition, we have some other extremely knowledgeable and helpful customers who are on hand to support. This way we can get help to customers as quick as possible.

Mohammed

WiFi is always off at home, has it anything to do with updates on new iPhone?  A few days ago it said I had used 4.7/5 of data, then yesterday 80%.    Thank you for your reply, I know it is a worrying time just now, and shortages in staffing, but as I have 2 1/2weeks to go stuck inside, I would have liked to solve my query.  

I have the same issue. New iPhone 11 Pro arrived in Saturday evening. Phone automatically transferred all info from old phone to be phone. Then Less than 24 hrs later and having used the phone to play two songs all my data was used and had also used my capped allowance. I was in the garden for the two songs but the rest of the time in the house. Now I’ve no Data for a month. How is this even possible. I’ve not used more than 1.5gb of Data on my old phone in 3yrs hence I only went for a 2gb package. Very disappointing, I’m aware services are scaled down, however I’ve phoned and got cut off I’ve emailed ID and had no response, yet I continue to receive emails about my bill etc. 

Userlevel 1

I purchased a phone from carphone warehouse a week and a half ago, my billing says I’ve used 80% of my mobile data, but with this covid19, I’ve barely been out of the house, how can this be possible?

Thank you very much

Userlevel 1

Make sure you turn off data. If your WiFi drops out, your phone will start using data instead. This only has to happen at the wrong time to start mincing though your data allowance.

Also turn off options to dual connect (i.e. there is an option on newer phones to connect to wifi AND data when the WiFi is slow).

If both of these are okay, I would check your actual ID account to see the real data usage. I would not trust a phone to give you information which only your network should have. Hopefully there will be a mismatch.

If this matches, then you need to do some investagative work. Look through your phone to see when and what data was used on and see if you can find the problem. Unfortunately this task will be down to you and nothing to do with the network. More of a personal protective measure.

Thank you very much for the reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Charmer 

Sorry to hear this. 

I have sent you a private message with more details.

Regards

Aklima 

Hi Aklima

where will I find your private message? 
janice 

Userlevel 1

I don't know the answer to this but if you're on Twitter or Facebook then pop ID a message there , they are still semi active by the looks of things, just be a little more patient with them than we normally would,  I'm sure they are stretched at the moment. 

I hope your isolation is going as well as can be and you're well.

Good luck with any help from ID and of course safety wise 

Thank you for your speedy and helpful reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Angela2626,

Mohammed

WiFi is always off at home, has it anything to do with updates on new iPhone?  A few days ago it said I had used 4.7/5 of data, then yesterday 80%.    Thank you for your reply, I know it is a worrying time just now, and shortages in staffing, but as I have 2 1/2weeks to go stuck inside, I would have liked to solve my query.  

Hello @Angela2626,

We’d recommend in that case turning WiFi ON and switching OFF Mobile data to ensure you’re not using data at home and only over WiFi. 

This should stop any mobile data usage when at home.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?