Question

Data Problem - Data has been used up

Hello.

My data allowance seems to have been consumed instantly when I turned off my wi-fi connection for a moment, 4 days before my monthly allowance was due to reset.

I got two text messages from id mobile at the same time: “You've used 80% of your cap”, followed by “You've reached your cap”.

When I checked the ID mobile website, they say I used up my allowance of 10GB plus another 10 GB carried over from last month.  That’s almost 20 GB in a second, that can’t be right!

I haven’t been going out because of the virus breakdown so I mostly on wi-fi all the time.  I also don’t do any tethering.  My phone logs don’t show anything out of the ordinary.  3GB used in the last 25 days.  That’s lower than my average monthly usage as expected.

I tried to contact the ID mobile support line but they say the lines are closed due to the outbreak.  Is there a way to get in touch with them?  I need to find out if this is their mistake or if there’s something wrong with my phone (unlikely).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Leo

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @aeldron 

Sorry to hear this. 

I have sent you a direct message with more information.

Regards

Aklima

Userlevel 1

Received the same message re data allowance used 80% complete nonsense, I am also on WiFi and haven't been out since March.  This needs to get sorted out as some customers would be worried about this and buy add one..... Or is that the point.

The response needs to be added to the thread and not sent DIRECT MESSAGE.

Being a new customer I am concerned, this is not acceptable to receive 80% data used when you have used nothing.

Regards,

Justin

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @justinc4631,

Have you checked your data usage on the App? How much do you get a month and how much is it saying you’ve used?

Will

Userlevel 1

Good afternoon Will,

Thank you for your response, I am using the app and switched off WiFi and opened app back up.  Funny thing is though after 3 years with O2 I only ever used 2 to 3 GB a month and never went over that even though I had 30gb available.  Now on id and first month off unlimited re NHS staff bonus id app says I've used 12.7gb which is impossible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @justinc4631 

Data usage is recorded against the account when data is consumed.

If apps were running in the background and using data or if a device was tethered to the phone, this may have caused the data to be consumed quickly.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi Mohammed,

I am well aware what runs in the background, however there are no apps consuming data and definitely not 15gb of data.  As I said with O2 for 3 years and never used more than 3gb data a month.  I think the app and messages are a scam to make people buy more data for their account, the usage is not right at all ID need to listen to customers and not try and push customers to buy more data add one they are simply not going to use.  Listen to the messages above.... I switched off WiFi and whoof all data gone for example.

Sort it out and stop nonsense messages saying data nearly gone.

Regards,

Justin

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @justinc4631,

I can confirm that Mohammed isn’t speaking nonsense. If you’re turning your WiFi off, you’ll use more data as a result.

Will

Hi, 

I’ve had the same problem. My data usually refreshes every month and today it has refreshed but I haven’t turned on my data but I received a text saying that I used 80% of my data. My data has been off all of today and I have only been using data so I’m not sure how this has happened. 

I would love to get some help on this issue! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @mai_tranxx 

Did you receive a text from iD regarding the 80% data used or was this a notification you received from the phone? We have seen in many cases, the Phone Data cycle in settings is not the same as the billing cycle so you may get this notification advising you have used 80% of your data. Have you logged into your iD app to see what this shows?

-Mohsin

Hi Mohsin,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. 

I got a text from iD saying that 80%of the data was used and I also checked the app which said the same thing. I hadn’t turned on my data at all yesterday when it refreshed and I haven’t done so since, so there were no background apps that were using them. I’m very confused about what to do as I haven't used any data. 

I hope you can help me. 

Thank you:)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @mai_tranxx 

We will send you a Private Message now so we can look into this on our end. To view the message sent, simply click on your profile icon on the top right and select Private Messages. 

-Mohsin

I’ve had a similar problem and ID have ‘concluded’ my complaint even though the problem isn’t solved.

I'm going to have to leave as it’s just not right.

I upgraded my phone from iphone7 to iphone12 mini about 6 weeks ago. After that it started chewing through my data (I get 3GB/month which I very very rarely use...esp since covid!)

Been in contact with Apple who did diagnostics...all fine.

The day my new month’s data was available I did a test. Went for a 40min run using itunes (streaming) and Map My Run. It used 1.9GB of data! Called ID straight after and the lady said ‘Well these new phones do use a lot of data’ :joy: 1.9GB in 40mins!!!! I don’t even think I could use that if I was downloading/streaming/using all my apps!

They say they can’t look as to why each app has used that much data, just that it has.

Very frustrating and out of pocket 2 months in a row. Can’t see another option other than to leave :rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Sally Leach 

We can take a look over your account so that we can understand why you have consumed more data that usual. 

We’ll send you a private message on here so that we can verify your details. 

To view the message sent.  Simply click on your profile icon in the top right, then go to your private messages. 

Thanks. 

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I constantly get messages about my allowance consumed and I just ignore them. The comms send to the users on this network doesn't make sense and it is not related to the reality. I have reported it but no one is going to fix it because everyone is busy (firefighting) fixing the website that is down for days. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @user2021,

The website and App are back up now.

Will

Why iD Mobile?