Question

Data Usage Recorded Incorrectly

• 15 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Before anyone jump to say search for previous topics, I did.

There were topics talking about data usage being different from the phone blabla, i understand that.

What I have observed is, if I watch youtube for 30 minutes, ID will say I've used something like 200M but EE says 30M. (Numbers not accurate but can be measured if necessary).

Did anyone notice the same and does anyone know why?

Thanks.

7 replies

Hi! How do you check this? Do you look at mobile data use x wifi data use? iD app or a different app? I never noticed it, but I also never checked.
I'm with ID and my wife is with EE. So I could actually try them out.

What got me to watch out for this was, I drive for about 1 hour daily and I used to stream youtube on the way. With my ID, it started to warn about usage after 2 days (with 2G) whilst with my wife's EE, i could stream for a week and EE reported way less usage than ID. Honestly the data runs fast with ID...
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @lestin,

A YouTube video will use the same amount of data to stream it to your device, no matter which connection or operator you use to stream the video.

The only thing I can think of that would cause different levels of usage would be the quality in which the video is streamed in. Lowering the quality from within the video settings from something high such as 1080p or 720p to 480p or even 360p will use a lot less data.

Ryan
It is possible --- ID is on andriod and EE is on iphone, so the app default could be different

however, when i'm using 3 on the same andriod, 200M could last almost 2 days for my drive pattern.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @lestin,

That could be a possibility, but I was unaware that you're using two different devices as it wasn't mentioned in your previous posts. As long as the video quality is set the same for each video, on the same device, then there shouldn't be a significant difference in data consumed.

Additionally, if a 10 minute video for instance has a lot more sound and moving images/graphics as opposed to a 10 minute video with less of the above, it will consume more data to steam it to your device, so this can also have an impact if there has been a difference in content type that you have streamed recently.

I hope this helps.

Ryan
If you're on android go to
Setting-connections-data usage-mobile data usage.
It will show you how much mobile data your apps have used. You can then check with your iD usage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @j564ha,

That's correct, for some Android devices you can get a breakdown of which apps used the data and how much. These are estimates and the network provider will always record the correct amount (which is advised in the settings).

You'll also need to make sure your billing dates in the settings are set in accordance to the billing dates for your iD account.
This can be done by checking your bill to see what period your line rental runs from.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?