Question

Data usage

I have recently moved from Virgin to ID mobile and my data usage has shot up (I’m not using the phone any differently).

Does ID mobile hsve a different min data usage policy/way to record data usage?

13 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Stupiddougal

Could you explain in detail what exactly is happening with your data allowance?

There is something with the app that it will reserve 50MBs of data when you open it when connected to mobile data.
This is just how the app operates.

If you try closing the app, turning off Mobile Data then turn on WiFi.
Opening the app on WiFi should show the 50MBs returned to you as normal.

It's only shown like this if you open the app via Mobile Data.

This might me when you see increased data usage?

Kind Regards
Hi - thanks for the quick reply, I should have been more descriptive.

when I was with Virgin I rarely used up my 1gb data allowance (I mainly use WiFi/do not download music or films)

Since moving to ID mobile I use up my 1gb data allowance in the first 10-15 days. I am not doing anything different - solely searching the internet when no WiFi available.

Even using google for a few minutes uses a lot of data whereas before it used less.

I was wondering if there could be a reason for this? For example is there a minimum data usage amount ID mobile implement?(ie if you use the internet for 5 seconds a minimum usage of 50mb is applied even if it actually used 20mb?)

i just don’t know why I am using more data than Virgin with the same pattern of usage.

any help would be much appreciated! I can obviously buy more data but then it will end up being more costly than Virgin was, defeating the purpose of moving.

Many thanks in advance

Matt
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Stupiddougal

You have got here really strange issue. I am with iD for 4 years now and I have never experienced abnormal data charges like you.

Would you mind checking which app takes the most of mobile data for me? It could be that you have got some app running in background that takes all the data. Just head to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage -> App data usage.

If you see there an app that you haven't used and it's data usage will be quite high then I could recommend to uninstall it.

Let me know if my suspicion helped you in any way?

Kind Regards
Today is a good example - I have used the internet for around 5 minutes - not downloaded music or video - simply viewing internet websites.

I have used 200mb (20% of my 1gb allowance)

is is this right? It seems ridiculously high?
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Stupiddougal

Yap. You definitely must have something Dodgy installed on your phone that is eating your data away. Check your data usage as I suggested in previous post to see which app is doing it.
I am having exactly the same issue. I moved from virgin mobile and never once went over 6 gig in 4 years and my first month with id and I've done 12 gig and now had to pay more money or I have no internet. I haven't done anything different to the phone or used it more this month than any other month
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Stupiddougal & @Stupiddougal,

Our network would only record usage for data that has actually been consumed. The network provider would not generally dictate the level of data used as if a video that requires 100mb to stream for instance, it will use up 100mb of your allowance no matter which network you're using to do so.

Have you changed the phone at all or any settings inside of the phone? The only other reason would be Virgin Mobile seeming inaccurately recording data usage levels to show less usage, but this would be unlikely.

Ryan
How how would changing the phone affect how much data is used?
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Stevealvarez,

Different devices will use slightly different services depending on what system apps are predownloaded onto the phone, so each phone is slightly different in that respect.

Ryan
I'm I'm sure we've each different phone there will be slight different data uses but to over double the amount of data in the first month to me is quite concerning. After quite a few phone calls I've just decided to cancel my contract ID mobile isn't the phone provider for me
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi Stevealvarez, that's disappointing to hear, many phones have options to monitor and restrict data usage for apps so it would be possible to resolve this another way.

-Phil
I'm I'm sure apps use some extra data then others but on my first month with ID mobile have doubled my Internet usage, nobody can explain that all everybody from ID mobile keeps telling me is it must be something to do with the phone or apps again how can my Internet usage double from 6 to 12 gig
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hi @Stevealvarez.

I can't speak from experience on the Virgin front, but did your old plan happen to include any sort of free usage? Like free use of social media sites or anything like that?

Also, what device are you using currently? There's an option in iPhone's called "Wi-Fi Assist", in Android phones it's called "Smart WiFi Switch".

What this does is it switches your phone over to mobile data use in any periods in which your Wifi is going temporarily slow. If you'd like to let us know what phone you're using we'll share instructions with how to turn that off it is on already by default.

Why iD Mobile?