Question

Direct Debit issue and incorrect charges

• 5 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello, I need to speak with an idmobile representative as I have 2 queries

1. I previously changed my direct debit details but this never took effect 
  2. On the 25th June I have been charged for 7x picture or multimedia messaging, I thought this odd as I very rarely use this service. I checked the date in my messenger and can only see 1x picture message sent which would concur with my movements on that date.

What is going on, getting a bit peeved with idmobile and not able to get the support i need by phoning somebody

Thanks

Simon

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @quadguy214,

Direct Debit detail changes won’t take effect if a Direct Debit is due to be taken in the next few days.

Has this since updated?

As for the MMS message charges, have you checked this article: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/mms-charges

Your SMS messages may be being converted to MMS.

Kind Regards,

Mohammed

Hello Mohammed,

Thank you for your reply but unfortunately it does not provide reasons valid to my experience.

Regarding the Direct Debit, I requested this to be set up around 6 weeks ago after I changed banks and after speaking to one of your colleagues. I only knew there was an issue when I got an email demand to settle my account. On checking, the DD had not been set up. So I settled the last bill and re-entered my DD details for future payments. I do hope this will be set up this time as requested.

Regarding the SMS message charges, I still dispute this and none of it ties in with the SMS charges link you sent me except for ONE message. I only sent ONE MMS message on 25th June and was to my work colleague on REMOVED. I’ve still got all this in my chat history on my phone for evidence. 

However, for some reason I have been charged 4 times for sending ONE MMS message to the above contact but also 3x for sending MMS to my other work colleague on REMOVED, but I never sent an MMS to him just normal text. Please can you find out what is going on and please do not refer me to some link which is not relevant in this case. All messages I sent on 25th June were all standard Text messages that meet the criteria of inclusive charges, but just ONE that had a picture. I expect only 1x £0.30 to be charged for the 1x Picture message, not 7x £0.30.

If this is out of my control how am i supposed to stop it happening in the future. On this occasion it is only a small amount I have been overcharged, but how do I know, if this happens again it could be a far higher amount which concerns me.

Thanks

Simon

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @quadguy214,

Apologies for the misunderstanding there.

How many characters was the text you sent that you were charged for? Did this include any emojis?

Standard SMS allow 160 characters to be included.

‘Back in the day’ you would have to send 1 SMS each time you reached up to the 160 character limit.

To put this into perspective, the sentence that I've typed here, starting from the beginning of this line and ending at the full stop, contains 160 characters.

Modern phones now allow you to type much more characters into an SMS.

What they do is send these as multiple SMS (so 1 text of 320 characters will use 2 SMS from your allowance).

I believe some phones can send up to 3, 4 or even 5 of these so allowing up to 840 characters in one go.

Some phones, usually (but not limited to) Samsung, convert texts that contain emojis/or go over the 160 character limit into an MMS message, thus incurring the charge.

If you tap on your Messaging app and then click Settings you can usually turn this setting off.

Let us know how you get on.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?