Solved

First month's bill after increasing allowances

• 12 September 2020
  • 9 replies

My billing month runs from the 9th of a month to the 8th of a month. My initial contract was £3.99 p.m. My new contract is £6 p.m. I made the change on the 9th September i.e. right at the start of the contract period. I have been charged £7.86 for the month. I cannot see where pro rata arises as I changed on the first day of the period. Any ideas?Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 14 September 2020, 16:09

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @terrywaine,

What would have happened is your bill for the month was produced on the 9th at £3.99 charging for the month in advance.

You changed the same day, but the bill had already been produced.

The next month we’ll simply calculate the pro-rata charges, providing a credit for the month in advance then charging the new plan rate. 

The difference would then be added to your bill (so this would be £6.00 for the month in advance and £1.86 which is the extra line rental owed).

To avoid this, you’d want to submit the plan change in the last few days before the bill is generated. 

Mohammed

Once again I find ID billing and FAQ’s confusing. I have difficulty with my September bill for what is a very small amount, but I need to understand the procees. I have a monthly recurring charge of £5 and undernearth it for the previous monthly period is a charge of 42p marked ‘UK’. The last bill was for the standard correct amount so why is anothe charge coming through for this period?

Terry

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @terrywaine,

When you view this bill, scroll down the next pages and you will see the itemised charges.

This will show you what the extra charges were for this bill as “UK” refers to out of plan usage in the UK.

Mohammed

Mohammed. Thank you that was most helpful. Unfortunately it leads me on to another question. The charge mentioned related to a video call. I have started to make video calls via WhatsApp on the assumption they were free. It would seem that they ‘eat into’ my data allowance, but my data usage in the month was only 894MB and the previous month I used 7MB. I would like to continue to video call. Other than monitoring regularly my daily data usage on line, is there any way I can prevent excessive data usage (above my monthly allowance)? In fact if I still had plenty of data allowance in September why was I charged at all? Terry

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @terrywaine,

Best bet would be to save the Video calls until you’re in an area with WiFi and logging onto that before making the call. This will drastically reduce the amount of data used for this type of call.

Will

Hi Will. Thank you for your answer which I understood. What is not clear to me is if WhatsApp video calls come out of data allowance why have I been charged if I have an unused data allowance carry forward? Terry

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @terrywaine,

How much data is it saying you have left on the iD Mobile App? Are you currently in the UK?

Will

Hi Will. Thanks for the prompt reply. I am in the UK. My billing cycle is 9th of the month to the 8th of the following month. The charge (50p refers to a video call) appeared on my September bill but relates to the previous month as that call was on 22 August.  My internet usage for August was 7.53MB although this seems to relate to the previous month.My August Allowance was 3072MB. No other data usage is shown. My internet usage for September (all relates to the previous month) was 894.04MB. No other data usage was shown except that mentioned peviously for the previous month. I definitely had data carry overs in those months. Looking at my Dashboard today it states that I have 6GB of data remaining for the current month.

The data usage seems to be collected and shown a month in arrears. Is this correct? Are these charges allocated correctly to the relevant month’s allowance? I have difficulty in understanding why I have a charge (however small) when I have roll overs.

I would be grateful for help that you can give me in understanding how Data is charged and data allowance roll over calculated. It is difficult to control something if one does not understand it.

Thanks. Terry

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @terrywaine,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further and give you a full breakdown of your account.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Will

Why iD Mobile?