Question

My phone seems to be using far too much data

• 27 March 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I recently returned from Australia and upgraded my ID mobile contract to 20GB / month.

I had an outstanding 500MB rolled over from my previously month which gave me 20.5GB total.

I checked my account 2 days ago and was astounded to see I only had 4GB remaining. This is despite being indoors with WiFi the majority of the day due to the current restrictions on movement. This morning I was notified I have 0GB left.

Apparently I have used 20.5GB of data in 23 days, including 4GB in under 48 hours. To put in to context, on my old contract I would only use 6/7GB a month at most.

Any ideas? Really not happy with ID mobile - given I’m on a one month rolling contract I think I’ll be looking for a new provider soon.

Cheers, 
Joe.

5 replies

I would like to know the answer to this as well. My 30gb data with 3.1gb rollover on the 26th March has 22gb remaining. 11gb used in less than 24hours when 5 hours spent at work with WiFi and 6 hours spent with family using WiFi. 11gb data used in 14 hours when I use normally less than 1gb in 24hrs. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there.

We would only ever bill you for data that was used by your SIM cards.  So this will definitely be something on your devices which is the culprit here.   Generally speaking all handsets these days capture the number of data used by certain apps etc to see what has been using the most recently.

To find this, go to:

Settings > Mobile Network > Data Usage (Android)

or 

Settings > Mobile Data > (iOS)

Be sure to check your device doesn’t have any sort of WiFi Assist enabled either. as this would make your device use mobile data at times when your WiFi drops in speed or strength.

i’m having same issue- new contract but data allowance gone within 4 days - seems ridiculous 

im still within 30 days of new contract & considering leaving- please can someone advise me as to how?? 

Cannot access the app either - wont load on- any ideas?? 
thank you

Hi there.

We would only ever bill you for data that was used by your SIM cards.  So this will definitely be something on your devices which is the culprit here.   Generally speaking all handsets these days capture the number of data used by certain apps etc to see what has been using the most recently.

To find this, go to:

Settings > Mobile Network > Data Usage (Android)

or 

Settings > Mobile Data > (iOS)

Be sure to check your device doesn’t have any sort of WiFi Assist enabled either. as this would make your device use mobile data at times when your WiFi drops in speed or strength.

I have done this and my data usage is 10 GB less than the ID app is saying. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @puss2cats , @Nanetteoakes 

Welcome to the iD Community.

I’ve sent you a direct message with further information.

Pearl

Why iD Mobile?