Solved

Mystery phone number +44 6385 534948

• 31 January 2019
  • 6 replies

I'm trying to understand what this phone number is: it was on my bill last month as an extra payment for two calls (11sec, 2sec) to this number on 7 January 2019, but I can't work out what this number connects to - as far as I can tell 06XXX numbers don't exist in the UK.
My mobile phone call log has these calls, so it's not a billing error, but I don't know why I would have called this number!
Since it is only two 20p charges, it doesn't feel like a scam, or at least not a very lucrative one...
icon

Best answer by Ryan 1 February 2019, 11:38

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi peteispo, normally Google will help in this matter but there doesn't seem to be any sites with information.

Sometimes, an app could be responsible for making unusual calls so you could check which apps have access to calling permissions on your phone and look further into the Play Store reviews to see if anyone else shares this problem. - Phil
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Yeah, I was struggling to find any info about this number as well when I search for +446... But when I searched for 06.... Then I got some results for numbers in India.
Hi peteispo, normally Google will help in this matter but there doesn't seem to be any sites with information.

Sometimes, an app could be responsible for making unusual calls so you could check which apps have access to calling permissions on your phone and look further into the Play Store reviews to see if anyone else shares this problem. - Phil

Yes, I looked through Google a bit and found nothing. Ofcom doesn't have anything to say about 06 numbers either.
So I found that plenty of apps on my phone have call permissions, some that I don't know why. Now the challenge is to see if I can find more details in a call log somewhere that might give me a clue as to what dialled the number.
As a last resort I might try calling the number again on my work phone...
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @peteispo,

I've just given the number a call, and it does not connect whatsoever and it's not a usual UK format type of number so I would assume that it is an international call, but the +44 at the beginning would contradict this.

It could be an app with call permissions that has done this. Let us know if you find anything further after viewing your apps.

Ryan
I can't find anything more in the call logs indicating which app might have called. I've cut permission for some apps that seemed to require call permission without an obvious reason (slither.io - really?)

So if the call doesn't connect, should I try to get the cost of those calls refunded? I should not really be charged for calling a number that doesn't exist!
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @peteispo,

If you need us to look into this further, please contact our Live Chat team here so we can get this sorted?

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?