Solved

OFCOM say notice period charges are now banned so why do idMobile still charge under '30 days notice'?

• 22 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Please see this page for details.

So why do idMobile require “30 days cancellation notice”?
Isn’t this now unlawful?
»
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/end-it-with-a-text-mobile-switching

icon

Best answer by Ryan 26 June 2020, 19:13

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hi @dw1,

Thanks for you feedback and sorry you felt the communication around 5G hasn’t been handled very well. As hard as it may be to hear sometimes, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Launching 5G is also a priority for us and we’re working on bringing it to iD customers as soon as possible. We hope to have some comms going out to our customers regarding 5G over the coming months.

Thanks,
Nikhil 

Userlevel 1

Hi @dw1,

We’re currently investigating this as a top priority, as well as working on improving the overall switching process.

This notification will be updated as soon as possible and we also hope to have some significant improvements delivered to the overall process over the coming months.

Although you’ve chosen to leave us now, we do hope to see you return to iD in the near future, and hopefully you’ll be able to notice all the changes we’re actively making to improve customers experience on iD.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Thank you, I had no real problems with ID Mobile, it was simply the refusal of ID to supply a roadmap of when they were going to activate 5G that was an annoyance, when you already supply most of the network features offered by Three but refuse to even discuss what’s happening with 5G (which Three have had for over a year) I didn’t feel that sufficient value was being shown to customers.

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hi @dw1,

We’re currently investigating this as a top priority, as well as working on improving the overall switching process.

This notification will be updated as soon as possible and we also hope to have some significant improvements delivered to the overall process over the coming months.

Although you’ve chosen to leave us now, we do hope to see you return to iD in the near future, and hopefully you’ll be able to notice all the changes we’re actively making to improve customers experience on iD.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Userlevel 1

Hi @dw1,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

The information on this notification is in-fact incorrect. 

As per the current switching process, you will only be charged for the line-rental and any out-of-plan charges, up until the moment your switch is complete and your account has been disconnected. If you are still in-contract, then a termination fee for your remaining line-rental charges will also be applied to your final bill. 

We are working on getting this notification updated as soon as possible to avoid any further confusion.  

Thanks again for notifying us of this error. 

Kind Regards,
Nikhil

Thank you for the update, it is quite astounding that such an error has run for so long, considering the ban was brought in in mid-2019. I can’t imagine how many people received this incorrect advice over the last 18 months.

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hi @dw1,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

The information on this notification is in-fact incorrect. 

As per the current switching process, you will only be charged for the line-rental and any out-of-plan charges, up until the moment your switch is complete and your account has been disconnected. If you are still in-contract, then a termination fee for your remaining line-rental charges will also be applied to your final bill. 

We are working on getting this notification updated as soon as possible to avoid any further confusion.  

Thanks again for notifying us of this error. 

Kind Regards,
Nikhil

Userlevel 1

Hi @DrMarten,

The notice period changes by Ofcom relate solely to when you’re switching to a new provider. If you are leaving us for a new network then you can supply that network with a PAC code to move your number to them, or a STAC code to move whilst not taking your number with you. The use of either code will cancel the iD Mobile plan without the need for a notice period.

Ordinary notice periods where you are not moving to a new network are still applicable though, so it’s advisable to use a PAC or a STAC code if you are leaving us for a different network to avoid any notice of cancellation periods.

The article mentions “Customers need to give their new provider the PAC or STAC number, so their old and new mobile companies can make sure there is no double payment.” which covers this point.

I hope this helps.

Ryan

if this is true, why are you still sending out text messages claiming you're going to charge 30 days notice when porting out more than 6 months later.

This was just received, I'm leaving on a PAC, it even says so in the text. 

By the way, I've already sent a copy of the text and a complaint to OFCOM.

Userlevel 1

I just received a rather naughty text message from ID Mobile.

I would be less annoyed by this if there was a recent rule change, but OFCOM changed the Regulations with regard to 30 day charging when leaving with a PAC or STAC in July 2019!

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/end-it-with-a-text-mobile-switching

ID Mobile why are you contravening the OFCOM Regulations? It's not a guideline, you are banned from charging after port day. Just be aware, if you do charge any further charges beyond my port day tomorrow you can expect an official OFCOM complaint, a complaint to the Ombudsman and a very quick letter before action to demand any unlawful debit repaid, with statutory interest.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @DrMarten,

The notice period changes by Ofcom relate solely to when you’re switching to a new provider. If you are leaving us for a new network then you can supply that network with a PAC code to move your number to them, or a STAC code to move whilst not taking your number with you. The use of either code will cancel the iD Mobile plan without the need for a notice period.

Ordinary notice periods where you are not moving to a new network are still applicable though, so it’s advisable to use a PAC or a STAC code if you are leaving us for a different network to avoid any notice of cancellation periods.

The article mentions “Customers need to give their new provider the PAC or STAC number, so their old and new mobile companies can make sure there is no double payment.” which covers this point.

I hope this helps.

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?