Solved

Possible Refund after continuing to pay for purchase of phone after it was already paid off

• 14 August 2020
  • 6 replies

I just realised last month that I was still paying the original amount (£25) for the purchase of an iphone 6 and a 1Gb data for 6 or 7 months after the 2 year contract term had ended and the phone had been fully paid off. I have changed the contract now so that I only pay £10 a month with a 10Gb data allowance  but is it possible to get a refund (or partial refund) for the 6 or 7 months where I was overpaying ?

icon

Best answer by Will 15 August 2020, 17:31

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @DavieD,

We wouldn’t provide a refund for that as we were still providing the allowances agreed upon from when the contract was taken out. We’d only change the allowances or billing amount when we’ve been given notice by the customer to do so.I’m glad you’ve been able to find yourself a great deal to lower your costs now though.

If you need anything else, please let us know. 

Will

Hi Will. Thanks for the reply.

I’ll have to check the terms and conditions of the contract when I took it out with Carphone warehouse to check if it is a roll-on contract. I would expect to have contributed something for the service I received but as a significant portion of the tariff was for the purchase of a handset, I would have expected to at least have been able to ask that the portion of the charge that related to this is reimbursed. (It also seems a bit unfair that I was still paying significantly more (£25) for a data allowance that was only 10% of my current data allowance, which costs only £10). 

It’s possible I may have missed an email somewhere but as far as I can see I didn’t get any formal notification that the 2 years that I had signed up to was coming to an end last year, or any prompt asking me to sign up to a new contract or to ask me to formally agree to continue on the existing tariff. 

I understand Ofcom has been looking at this type of issue recently, as it has been estimated that around 4 million mobile phone customers in the UK are currently in the same situation and continuing to pay for handsets that they have already paid , so I’ll double check your response with OFCOM just to confirm if they would agree with your position.

In the meantime, I would like to say that the mobile network that ID mobile provides has been very stable and reliable in the time I have been using it

Hi Will - I have tracked back on my emails from ID Mobile over the past 12 months and can find no emails notifying me that the contract was nearing completion of the 2 year term, or that the 2 year term had now passed. On the monthly bill email I have been receiving there is no mention that the term of the original contract term was ending or had ended and no indication that I could both increase my data allowance while substantially reducing the  monthly charge I was paying.  Since February it has been a requirement for mobile phone companies to notify customers if a contract was ending, but included in this is a requirement to send annual notifications if the customer is still paying their original tariff amount after the contract has ended and has not taken any action - I have had no notifications to this effect either.

I have looked at the OFCOM and Ombudsman schemes and their recommendations regarding customer disputes, Is there a way I can raise this issue formally with ID Mobile to allow the provider to review the charges I incurred for the number of months that I was paying the original tariff charge unnecessarily, thanks. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Sure @DavieD,

I’ll send you a Private Message now so we can get your complaint logged for you.

Will

Hi Will,

I’ve completed my contract (2 years) , in April 2020…..and then a debt collecting agency advise me today that there are monies outstanding….please explain why ?

Every bill paid upon request 24 bills, 24 payments !

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @bobwithaproblembill,

24 months is a minimum term plan. if we just cut everybody off bang on the 24 month date, it could lead to people losing their numbers, or being without service in a crucial time. That’s why we require customers to let us know they wish to cancel the agreement by providing a 30 day notice. It does mention all this in our contract agreements.

Did you contact anyone at iD to let us know you wanted to cancel?

Will

Why iD Mobile?