Solved

Unable to submit text to 60257 - Scottish and Southern Energy

Hi
I am unable to text my meter readings to 60257 - Scottish and Southern Energy.
I have enabled Premium this morning, but still unable to send text to this short code.

SSE's advise is -
Text 60257 (messages to this service are free from UK mobiles)
Please send your gas and electricity meter readings in separate text messages
icon

Best answer by Michelle 2 February 2021, 10:31

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

HI @Amac 

Please could you power down your phone and turn your phone back on again. 

If you are still having issues please let us know and we’ll investigate further with our Tech Team.

Thanks

Michelle 

It just instantly says ‘not delivered’, doesn’t seem like it’s even trying to send.

I thought the premium bar was meant to be on? I have turned it off now

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Amac,

That’s odd,

The number was whitelisted so you should be allowed to text this.

What error message do you get?

Just to confirm premium messaging bar is set to off in the app/account?

Mohammed

I am having this same problem. I have tried all the steps mentioned above and it’s not solved it. Tried contacting Three but they wouldn’t speak to me as I’m not a Three customer. How can I use this number please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Unlobotomised,

Have you contacted BT about this?

Will

I have a BT Contract iPhone and I cannot send my meter reading texts to 60257 SSE Scottish Hydro.

None of the suggestions for a fix has helped.

Any ideas guys?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Thanks @ZaXDi3P6r89EoS,

Please let us know if you have any further issues or require any more assistance.

Will

Userlevel 1

No problem, - thanks, - apparently the matter is now resolved; so iDMobile users should now be able to submit their meter-readings via 60257. I have not tested this, yet, because I have only just submitted a reading.

- ZaXDi3P6r89EoS

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Keep us posted on things @ZaXDi3P6r89EoS 

If we need to investigate anything further for you we will do so here.

Have a great weekend.

Userlevel 1

I understood that codes used by utilities companies, for example, were accepted network-wide and did not need to be approved on an operator-by-operator basis? Three, according to their checker, appears to still not have support in place for 60257, but I spoke to a lady this morning, by chat, and she escalated the matter to support, so hopefully it might finally be whitelisted sometime soon. Either way, thanks for your input and thanks, too, for also requesting that this code be whitelisted.

- ZaXDi3P6r89EoS

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ZaXDi3P6r89EoS,

We do support the sending of SMS messages to shortcodes, but not all numbers have been set-up by Three UK I believe.

Is it just 60257  you are having issues with or other ones too?

In the past I’ve emailed our Team who have raised this to allow whitelist the number.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

For anyone else struggling with this issue, or similar, some of the network providers have a hidden feature called a Scam Block, or Shortcode Blacklist, which can usually be toggled on or off via a network code.

Unsurprisingly, there is no information whatsoever on whether this is the case with Carphone Warehouse or IdMobile, with nothing beyond a Premium Call toggle in the control panel.

The underlying service provider, 3, is slightly more helpful, and offers the following Shortcode Checker:

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.dll?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=OnlinePortlet,varset_cat=callsemails,varset_subcat=3788,Case=Obj(4178)

...which, in turn, provides the following:

Result for Shortcode 60257

Shortcode 60257 is not supported yet

...so that would seem to explain why IdMobile are unable to allow meter-reading SMS messages. I will try to contact 3 in relation to this to confirm for definite if that is actually the case and whether or not the number can be whitelisted.

- ZaXDi3P6r89EoS

Userlevel 1

Well I have found Premium SMS Access on an Xperia X10: it is buried under Settings > Apps & Notifications > Special App Access

...but that still does not fix the issue of not being able to send meter reading SMS (regardless of how it is set) or explain why iDMobile would ban the use of SMS meter readings on their network. Even GiffGaff does not implement that kind of totally idiotic limitation on their service!!

- ZaXDi3P6r89EoS

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @ZaXDi3P6r89EoS,

Glad you were able to find a fix. The Feedback is also appreciated.

Take care,

Will

Userlevel 1

Found a solution: use GiffGaff with a budget handset. - They may not support Wi-Fi Calling, but at least they allow you to use their network to send charge-free SMS messages!

Seriously, though, disallowing the sending of SMS messages for meter-readings and the like really is anal, especially so when they are free of charge and intended to help people manage their day-to-day services.

- ZaXDi3P6r89EoS

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue, - cap checked, allowance good, - and no Premium SMS nonsense on a Sony Xperia 10.

ZaXDi3P6r89EoS

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Good Batiatus,

Thank you for checking those over for me. Please can you email us with details of this issue and we'll have the number forwarded on to our Technical Team to see if anything else can be done here?

Ryan

Hi Ryan
I have checked settings and for Premium SMS this is Always Allowed

Regards my iD allowance, from the iD app I have confirmed I have £10 Cap remaining and in Services it states that the Premium Feature is On.

Anything else you can check at your end, or suggest at my side?
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Good Batiatus,

I am sorry to hear that, does the message fail completely? One thing to try is to up your cap. If it's set to £0 or if you have used it up this month, it can cause the text message to be blocked from sending.

Another thing to view is the premium SMS settings from within your phone:
  1. Go to Settings and then to Apps
  2. Tap Message app
  3. Tap Special access (found under the 'Advanced' section)
  4. Tap Premium SMS access and make sure it's allowed
Let me know how it goes.

Ryan
To add, handet is LG G6 running Android 8.

All other call/standard test/internet appears to function normally

Why iD Mobile?