Solved

Unusual Data Charge

• 31 July 2020
  • 5 replies

It seems that just by browsing the internet for a couple of hours over 3 days I have used an unusual amount of data and been charged for this, I have used over 150mb during these 3 days, I do question this and would like to know why

icon

Best answer by Will 1 August 2020, 15:52

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @SueD, it doesn’t take much to use 150mb, so I suspect it’s accurate. Do you use social media apps such as Facebook? These being left open in the background can often lead to unexpected data usage.

Will

Hi Will

No, I am not a user of social media, sometimes on Marketplace but not those 3 days

Sue

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @SueD, are you making sure to use Wi-Fi when at home/available? As Will says, 150mb isn’t a particularly large amount. It could be that some of your apps have updated themselves over mobile data. Have you been watching any videos or streaming music at all? Or perhaps downloading email attachments?

Thank you,

Rory

Hello

Always use wifi when at home, apps only update over wifi, I never watch videos or stream music, and i only ever download 1 email attachment a month, on the 22nd so it was not that either

Sue

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

What’s the make and model of your phone, Sue? Most phones have a section - usually called Data Usage - which will show you a breakdown of your data usage, as well as telling you which apps are using it. Our Live Chat team would be able to give you the dates and times of the usage, but nothing more specific than this. 

It could simply be a case of your Wi-Fi dropping out at an inopportune moment without you having realised.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?