Solved

Billing Query - pro-rata after upgrade

• 25 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve recently upgraded and it’s charged me an extra £34.07 on top of my monthly bill of £43.99, why is this? I paid my previous months bill from my old contract and I did not go over any of my minutes, calls or data so I am very confused and would like this corrected as soon as possible. 

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 25 November 2019, 15:28

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello Lucy,

This would likely be pro-rata line rental which is calculated on your next bill after an upgrade.

Here’s an example:

Let’s say you were on a £5.00 plan previously.

In this example, your bills are produced on the 5th of each month.

So your bill for November would be 05/11/19 - £5.00.

This would cover line rental from the 05/11/19 - 04/12/19.

A month in advance as always.

We only produce 1 monthly bill each month, so if there are any changes to your plan, then pro-rata line rental is calculated on your next bill.

So if you upgraded on the 10/11/19 to a £30.00 plan, then technically you would have paid for line rental from the 10/11/19 - 04/12/19 at the old plan rate of £5.00, but you’ve been using the new plan since the 10th?

What we’d do here is wait for your next bill to be produced.

So on the 05/12/19, your bill for £30.00 would be produced as this is your new plan rate. 

This would cover line rental from the 05/12/19 - 04/01/20.

On this bill however, we’ll also give you a credit back for any line rental that you have paid since the date you upgraded, up until the date you were billed in advance for.

So in this case, you upgraded on the 10/11/19, so we’d give you a credit for line rental covering 10/11/19 - 04/12/19. This is around 24 days of line rental. 

We would then re-calculate what you should have paid for these 24-days, but at the new plan rate of £30.00 as this is the plan you were using from then. 

This is added to the bill and reduced by the credit you will be getting. This you’d is what you need to pay.

In the example above it would be:

£30.00 - Line rental for 05/12/19 - 04/01/20.

CREDIT: £4.00 for line rental from 10/11/19 - 04/12/19 at the old rate

£24.00 - Line rental for 10/11/19 - 04/12/19 at the new rate

£30.00 + £24.00 - £4.00 = £50.00

Hope that helps clear this up, but if you still need help, let me know.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Okay that should explain it however I was never told about this when I was considering upgrading, I have never heard of this pro data line rental. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Okay that should explain it however I was never told about this when I was considering upgrading, I have never heard of this pro data line rental. 

Hello Lucy, glad this helps explain for you.

If you submitted the upgrade in the app/account, you’ll have been advised of this before you can submit this.

If you submitted the upgrade over the phone, then this would have been confirmed on the call during the order being placed.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hello will I be charged extra too as my current plan is the same price as the new plan I want at £42.99 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Siobhan Denny 

You will not be charged any extra.

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 1

I was told on online chat that to avoid charges I should wait to upgrade and do it on the 29th so you’re saying if I upgrade now there won’t be any extra charges as ill be choosing a plan at the same price. Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Siobhan Denny 

As you are staying n the same monthly price you would not see any changes in your monthly billing.

Michelle

iD Mobile 

Why iD Mobile?