Solved

Call charges to 0203 number

• 9 July 2020
  • 9 replies

I’m on a pay monthly plan - with plenty of minutes remaining, but have my ‘extra usage cap’ set at £0.

I’ve just tried calling an 0203 number, but i get a recorded message saying that my account has insufficient balance to make this call - suggesting that an 0203 number isn’t included in the call plan - which surely isn’t correct?

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 17 July 2020, 12:45

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @kc9403 

If the number is simply a regular ol’ personal landline number then their shouldn’t be any issues.

Is the number in question a hospital bedside number -or- one associated with a business?  It would only be blocked in the way you experienced IF it was chargeable.

Hi @Kevin 

Thanks for your reply - it’s a number i don’t recognise - so I have no idea - the first 7 digits are 020 3435 xxxx - is there any way to tell?

Surely a user can’t be expected to know whether a number is chargeable or not, when it appears to be a regular London 020 3 number?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @kc9403,

02 numbers are inclusive in your allowances like 01 and 03.

It’s possible that the number is disguised to look like a standard 02 number but is actually an international one.

Have you tried Googling the number to see what company it relates to?

Have you definitely got inclusive minutes remaining?

Mohammed

Hi @Mohammed,

Thanks for your suggestions - Not sure how the number could be disguised, it’s starts 020, and is followed by exactly 8 digits, as you would expect for a London number.  I’ve even tried dialing it manually, rather than calling the entry in the missed calls - but get the same result.

Yes, i’ve tried googling it, but nothing of any use is found.

Yes, i’ve got inclusive minutes - as i can make other calls. As an experiment, i’ve just googled a random pizza place with a phone number starting ‘0203’ - and that rings just fine!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

It might be worth blocking the number @kc9403 

If it’s not a call you’re expecting, then it could potentially be part of some scam.

Usually googling a number would be a good source of information, though if it’s a new thing then there might not be information online yet.

@Kevin 

Yes, i’m sure you are quite right that it probably is a scam - however it just raised an interesting question that apparently you can’t tell if a number is included in your inclusive calls or not - ie you can ring a seemingly included 020 number, but you may be charged for it, at some unknown rate.   I only discovered that this was a chargeable call because I have my usage cap set at £0, so the call was refused.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @kc9403,

You can usually make out these numbers but can be very deceptive indeed.

For example, non-standard numbers https://www.idmobile.co.uk/nonstandard07numbers which are chargeable but look like normal UK numbers.

Standard UK mobile numbers, 01, 02, 03 & 0800 numbers are included in your plan.

Mohammed

Hi @Mohammed 

Well, this is most definitely a 02 number (followed by 9 other digits) - but it’s certainly not included in my plan.  So there must be a list of exceptions for 02 numbers too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @kc9403 , we don’t have a list of scam numbers, but we advise blocking them once they're brought to your attention.

Cheers,

Will

Why iD Mobile?