Solved

Data running out too fast!

• 13 September 2019
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello hopefully someone can help me, my daughter has 2GB of data a month which always runs out, after live chat with ID they suggested turning off mobile data when at home otherwise apps run on both wifi and mobile data (my phone does not do this and never have any trouble0.
She is at school in the day, hence most data is used in the morning and evening however she always does turn off her data when at home, apps left on were snapchat and WhatsApp - would that be enough to drain her data every month?

Any advice welcome, thanks

Tina
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 30 September 2019, 16:45

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 1
Thank you I have emailed them.

Kind regards,

Tina
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Pullingmyhairout,

Heavy media-useage apps that stream/send video or send/receive photos (Such as Snapchat/WhatsApp) can drain data quite quickly if used a lot.

If the phone has a 'Data Usage' section within its settings, set this up to show the dates in which her allowances runs to and from, and it should give you an app breakdown of what is using the data.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
Thanks Ryan,

I'll take a look at the data usage.

Tina
Userlevel 1
So yesterday she used about 330mb and had mobile data on for 1 hour on the bus, would you say that was normal?

Thanks

Tina
Userlevel 1
I emailed the email address but no reply.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Pullingmyhairout,

Please allow up to 72-hours for responses as the emails are not monitored like a live chat conversation. We'll try to respond to all emails as quickly as possible.

Depending on what was being used, it's not unlikely that 330MB can be used in that time-frame.
Apps like Facebook/Instagram can load images/videos in the background and eat up data very quickly.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Hello Mohammed,

I don't have to constantly turn on/off mobile data when I need it, I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Tina
Userlevel 1
My daughter does not have Facebook or Instagram apps on her phone.

Thanks

Tina
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Have you managed to locate a setting or feature within her phone that records what app's are using data? As those can be invaluable at times like this.

YouTube or any video apps are big culprits for data eating, and if people are sending or receiving videos over whatsapp or other messenger services that can be a cause too.

It might be worth contacting the support team of your daughter's phone manufacturer to ask them where you can find details of data usage within the settings (or through an official app) so that you can help identify how and where this data is being used.
Userlevel 1
So today she used 1.5mb whilst at school, I downloaded a data usage as suggested and all data has been used by wifi - can you help me stop this please.

I can't afford to top up 2gb every 2 days.

Tina
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Pullingmyhairout,

If you believe the data has been incorrectly recorded, please email us  and we'll pass this information to our Technical Team. They will be able to determine whether this was incorrectly or correctly recorded.

The likelihood is that the information is correct, as it would not be possible to record data usage that has not been used if Mobile Data was off.

Having WiFi On doesn't always stop data usage, as some devices have the ability to default to Mobile Data when the WiFi network is poor.
The only way to stop data usage is to turn Off the Mobile Data. This will sever the physical connection.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1
Hello Modhammed,

I noted this blog has been noted as 'solved' but it has not, I have emailed the address above but yet to hear anything back.

Tina
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Pullingmyhairout,

I'm not sure why the topic was marked as solved, however, I've un-marked this for you as this remains open.

Please allow up to 72-working hours for responses to emails. I have replied today.

We'll continue the discussion via email as there's nothing further we can add here.

Mohammed
Userlevel 4
What phone do u have if you have samsung you can press the mobile data icon and put on data saver.I recommend you stay away form streaming and regularly check id mobile app.
Userlevel 1
You need to find the mobile data usage within the settings. Then look at the list of offenders, one by one go through them and restrict background data. I personally found that an app on my phone, a certain office app had chewed through quite a bit if data in the background. I hadn't even opened this app! Restrict as much as you can and make sure she's not watching video on the bus.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thanks for that @NH101 & @stevep1598

We've offered a plan change for @Pullingmyhairout with more data as well as support on tracking allowances.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1

I'm concerned that my Data Usage is running at the rate of knots  Even when my phone is switched off!!!! I expected my Data alliwance to be commenced from today and find that its claimed i've used half of it. My phone was switched off all night so how can that be  ?  I'm informed that in view of the current situation there will be no charge for texts or calls. I havent abused this but feel that the Data usage has been accelerated to cover the cost  and if that is the  case then this is shabby treatment. I'm not at all happy about this and when my Conteact is up I will liok for another Provider. This is a ridiculous situation. Its frustrating  enough that I can't speak to anyone about this . I am not going to use my phone for Data and see if it registers that I am. Please look into this pkease

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Tromgirl,

I’m afraid that the network provider doesn’t affect how quickly data is used, it will be all down to the device and user habits. The best way of finding out which app or service has used the data is by checking the “Data Usage” section of the settings of the phone in question.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. My daughter has bee  with ID for a good couple of years now and has around 3G data every month which  has been always enough.

Last month she ran put of data so quickly we didn't know how, so Last weekend 22/05 I bought an extra 1G to last her until her data renew (Sunday 23/05). The data come back Sunday giving her a 4G for the month. Saturday 28/03 she received a text saying she has used 80% of data ....how us that possible??? Can someone please help.. this has never happened before. I need someone looking into this please. Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jennyfer Hicks,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Can I ask if you have the iD Mobile App or account, as data can be monitored via the app?

If you have apps running in the background these may be using data. Also, have you taken a look at your data usage within your settings to see what the data is being used on?

Kash

Why iD Mobile?