Solved

Extra data charges despite cap

• 10 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello

I have been charged £79 for 2 months in a row on my £3.99 plan. 

The phone is used by my elderly father who may have accidentally turned on data roaming. When he told me last month I put a cap on straight away but the same thing has happened again. He cannot afford to pay this amount of money and this is causing a lot of stress. He has had the plan since 2016 and has not been charged more than £3.99 once so we don’t understand why this is suddenly happening.

If this happens again we will need to cancel.

Please can somebody help us with this situation? Can a refund be arranged?

icon

Best answer by Michelle 12 March 2021, 13:34

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @pavliukin,

The usage for bills is charged the month prior.

So the March bill will have usage for February.

It’s likely what’s happened here is the cap was applied after usage had already been made.

In this case, the charges would have shown the following month as applying a cap won’t cancel any charges already placed.

If you log into the iD app/account, you can check to confirm what cap is on the account or set one up.

If you’ve done this, then it shouldn't be possible to incur out of plan usage past the cap that was set moving forward.

We’d only charge for usage that’s been made, as this is recorded as it’s used.

Mohammed

Understood but just to clarify when I went in to put the cap on. The Feb bill was clearly showing as 3.99 so i could see only 1 month had gone over the limit.

Is there anyway of waiving these charges given the situation? It was quite clearly a genuine error made by an elderly man who didn’t even understand he wasn’t connected to WiFi. I understand you have T&C’s but given the immaculate 3 year history of the customer and never having had this happen before, it’s clear this was an unfortunate error. £160 is A LOT of money for a pensioner. Is even a token gesture of 1 month waived possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @pavliukin

Without checking the bills, we wouldn’t be able to tell how this was recorded but the out of plan usage may have been on the “unbilled usage” section.

In regards to waiving this, we can’t guarantee this but we’ll see what can be done given the situation.

Is the account in your name or your fathers?

Mohammed

Thank you very much Mohammed. I’m willing to do whatever I can to help.

I believe the account is in my name but paid for via my father’s direct debit?

Let me know if you need anything else.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @pavliukin 

We’ll send you a private message on here so that we can verify your details. 

To view the message sent.  Simply click on your profile icon in the top right, then go to your private messages. 

Thanks. 

Michelle 

iD Mobile

Why iD Mobile?