Blog

100 days till Christmas

• 10 December 2018
  • 1 reply
100 days till Christmas
Userlevel 8
Badge

Looking for an affordable Christmas gift? If you can’t stretch to the cost of a flagship phone, there are some great budget options out there. Any one of these would make a cracking stocking filler.

Samsung Galaxy A70

If they love their Android devices, the Galaxy A70 is a winner. With its AMOLED screen, triple camera and better-than-Full HD resolution, it has features that give flagship handsets a run for their money.

Despite the relatively low price, it’s got a powerful octa-core processor that makes multitasking and gaming a breeze - perfect whether they’re keeping productive or levelling up on the way to work or college. There’s also a whopping 32MP selfie camera housed in Samsung’s minimal Infinity U notch, so they can capture that pro-looking profile picture and still enjoy big screen entertainment.

It’s worth mentioning the battery too, because it gives up to 24 hours of talk time on a single charge. And when it does run low on juice, just 30 minutes is all that’s needed to take the power over 40%.

Buy the Samsung Galaxy A70 from iD Mobile

Google Pixel 3a

Great for the security conscious, the Pixel 3a has a security chip that’ll keep their passwords and data personal, while protecting the phone from online threats. It also offers a pure Android browsing experience, with an easy-to-use interface that comes completely clutter-free. So, it’s ideal gift if they’re new to smartphones.

What about the camera? Night Sight offers crystal clear photos in dark settings without relying on the flash, while portrait mode and Motion Auto-Focus will help them capture all the detail in a single take. Once they’ve shared that winning photo on their socials, they can store as many photos as they can take on Google Photos for free. So, no need to add a memory card to their stocking.

Buy the Google Pixel 3a from iD Mobile

iPhone XR

We don’t need to tell you why the iPhone is one of the most popular phones around, but in short: It’s fast, super responsive, has a great camera and a clean-looking operating system.

The iPhone XR takes the best elements of the flagship XS and packs them into a more affordable handset. The A12 Bionic chip makes switching between apps and browsing tabs almost instant, while augmented reality makes emojis a whole lot more fun.

It may not have multiple fancy cameras on the back, but they’ll still get stunning images and videos. Smart HDR improves highlights and shadows in photos, and the rear camera can even record in beautiful 4K at 60 fps – that’s better than most flagships.

Buy the iPhone XR from iD Mobile

Huawei Mate 20 Lite

If they’re into their movies, the huge 6.3-inch screen may be all it takes for them to fall in love with the Huawei Mate 20 Lite. It’s clearer than Full HD, which means that watching on-the-go instead of on the TV isn’t such a bad trade-off. And with space for up to 256GB added storage, there’s room for an entire library of movies, shows, music and games.

It’s got a dual camera both on the back and front, combined with clever AI that recognises what they’re taking a photo of and adjusts the settings for the best results. That’s pretty incredible for such a low-priced phone. If they love their games, the AI also recognises when they’re playing in order to prioritise the network signal for smooth responsiveness and minimal lag. There’s also its fast-charging capability, snappy processor, intelligent photo organisation, we could go on…

Buy the Huawei Mate 20 Lite from iD Mobile

So there you have it – our pick of the best budget phones that we think would make anyone’s Christmas. What do you think? Would you recommend a brilliant budget handset that’s not on our list? If so, post your reply below.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
I love this article! I was looking into getting my parents a smart phone instead of that old Nokia they currently have and these are all reasonably priced and would be ideal as a first smartphone for them. The only problem I have is which one! I like Nokias, but the Samsung is also tempting and since it has to be simple to use and reliable, I am still torn between the two. Might be time to pop into a shop and try them both out.
Rebecca

Why iD Mobile?