Blog

What's the notch?

• 23 January 2019
  • 2 replies
What's the notch?
Userlevel 8
Badge
Some love it, some hate it. One thing’s for sure, you’ll find a notch at the top of most new smartphones. But what is it – and why is it there? Read on, and you’ll find out.

What is the notch?

It started with Apple, as often seems to be the way. The first notch was seen at the top of the iPhone X, but it wasn’t just about looks. Oh no, there was a good reason for it.

So, a bit of background. For years, phone makers had been trying to get the screen as close to the edge of the phone as possible. But once they’d added in a speaker and a selfie cam, that removed space at the top of the screen. Apple had an answer to this (of course). They stretched the screen right to the edges but kept a small area at the top for the camera, speaker and light sensor – and that, friends, is the notch.

It’s time for a look at our favourite notch phones…

Apple iPhone X

With an impressive screen-to-body ratio of nearly 83%, the iPhone X certainly pushes edge-to-edge design to the, er, edge. And there’s still room for a speaker, TruDepth camera, FaceID and a light sensor.

The time, battery, Wi-Fi, and signal icons are in the space either side of the notch, so no space is wasted. But if the notch isn’t for you, you can hide it. Here’s how - download the Notcho app (it’s free) from the App Store, and create a custom wallpaper which makes it look as if your phone’s notch-free.
Take a look at iPhone X

Huawei P20 Pro

The camera on the P20 Pro really is something to behold, with an awesome 40MP main camera and a 24MP front camera for super selfies.

Notch-wise, it’s smaller than the iPhone X, but there’s still room for a camera, speaker and light sensor. The screen’s impressive as well, with 6.1-inches and an 82% screen to body ratio – when you consider it still has a physical ‘Home’ button below the screen, that’s pretty impressive, it has to be said.
Take a look at the Huawei P20 Pro

Google Pixel 3 XL

The Google Pixel 3 XL is a stylish beast, with an enormous 6.3-inch screen that takes up a massive 83% of the phone. There’s a selfie cam on the front, as well as all the usual sensors and a pair of stereo speakers. And wow, those speakers… They’re just perfect for mobile gamers, music streamers or TV bingers alike. Prefer no notch? Then go for the Google Pixel 3 (not XL). It’s slightly smaller, but does all the other stuff that the XL does.
Take a look at the Google Pixel 3 XL

OPPO Find X

You may not have heard of Oppo before. Well, once seen, never forgotten. Their Find X truly is a wonder. On first glance, you may be wondering where the selfie cam is. Well, the Oppo Find X has a party piece, the camera is hidden inside, ready to pop out when you need it.

And you know what that means, don’t you? The 6.4-inch screen can take up even more of the phone - a staggering 87% to be precise.

Are you a notch fan? Or more of a no-notch kinda person? Let us know in the comments below, and share your favourite notch phones with us.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
A little known fact is that the notch first appeared on the "Essential Phone" and not the iPhone X as many people are led to believe 😉 Still though, Apple have made it mainstream and more acceptable to have one on a phone. I have the Huawei P20 Pro and to be honest, you kind of forget it's there after a while.
Userlevel 3
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, but I'm starting to be tempted by the Pixel 3 when my contract is up. The notch is a great idea to maximise screen usage, and it seems that the technological advances recently are moving in the way of a phone that will end up all screen and no surrounding case on the front of the phone. I wonder who would be the first to have an over 95% screen? 🤔

The only thing that bothers me a little with the Pixel is that it's USB-C. I have Samsung chargers dotted around the house in most rooms, (except the kids' rooms and bathroom of course) and I've heard that after-market chargers don't work with the phones, meaning I'd have to purchase at least three extra charge cables from Google at around £30 each.

Nikita

Why iD Mobile?