Blog

What to expect from the next Nokia

• 14 February 2019
  • 1 reply
What to expect from the next Nokia
Userlevel 8
Badge
Nokia’s new flagship is set to be unveiled at MWC Barcelona later this month. Our favourite tech publications have been busy predicting what to expect, so let’s check out the latest rumours.

It’ll be called the Nokia 9 PureView

First things first, what will this new Nokia be named? Well, most of the articles we’ve read refer to it as… the Nokia 9 PureView.

“Nokia's next big handset might be the true flagship stunner to boost the brand to new heights. It's reportedly called the Nokia 9 PureView, and it could pack some high-end surprises.” Stuff TV

“It now looks as though the Nokia 9 might be the perfect device to mark the return of the PureView name and the pedigree that comes with it.” Trusted Reviews

Its standout feature will be the world’s first penta-camera

The Nokia 9 PureView will almost certainly be rocking a five lens camera, which will obviously give it some big advantages over its lesser-lensed competitors. Here’s what T3 has to say about it:

“The Nokia 9 PureView is set to live up to its name by bringing us the world's first penta-camera, yup that's five snappers on the rear.
That new penta-camera should be enough to sell handsets right away thanks to up to ten times more light let in, meaning super low-light photography, fantastic video stability and awesome effects options.” T3

And once again, Nokia has teamed up with legendary lens makers Zeiss.

“As previously rumoured, the Nokia 9 will come with an unprecedented five camera setup with Zeiss optics on the rear. This should vastly improve low-light shots (supposedly capturing "10x more light" per photo) and will allow for shot refocussing after the event using Google Photos.” Expert Reviews

The display will be as close to 6 inches as it gets

The next Nokia’s display will be 5.99-inches 2K HDR display, according to Trusted Reviews.

“The Nokia 9 PureView is expected to pack an extended 5.99-inch AMOLED panel with an 18:9 aspect ratio, a 2K resolution, HDR support and an in-display fingerprint sensor.” Trusted Reviews

That 2K resolution means the display will be pin-sharp, and the HDR will pump up the brightness in areas where it’s supposed to be bright, while dimming down the darker parts. We can’t wait to see it:

It’ll be a powerhouse with loads of storage

Previous Nokia flagship phones have had bags of power and loads of storage, so we’re expecting the same from the Nokia 9 PureView. Rumours of the exact specs differ though, as you can see…

“Leaks so far are backing earlier rumours of the Nokia 9 coming with 2018’s Snapdragon 845 processor, as well as 6GB of RAM” Digital Trends.

“There could also be 6GB of RAM, 128GB of storage and a 4,150mAh battery.” Tech Advisor

“Both 128GB and 256GB internal storage has been mentioned, but we'll have to wait and see what the final device carries” Stuff TV

When can I order the Nokia 9 PureView from iD Mobile?

The Nokia 9 PureView is expected to be launched later this month at an exclusive Barcelona event, as part of MWC (Mobile World Congress) 2019, the world’s biggest mobile tech show.

“The best Nokia 9 PureView release date rumour we've had so far comes from HMD Global's Chief Product Office, Juho Sarvikas who tweeted a message asking followers to join the firm on February 24 at MWC 2019.” Tech Radar.

It’s a little too early to say when it’ll be available to order from iD Mobile, but we’ll definitely be stocking it (and we’ll update this article as soon as we’ve put some deals together). In the meantime, if you’ve got any questions on the new Nokia, or upgrading to a new phone, post a reply below.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
"and will allow for shot refocussing after the event using Google Photos." I think that is the most interesting thing for me. I can't think of the number of photos I have taken that look ok on the phone at the time but when I look at them on a bigger screen later I find they are out of focus. This seems to be saying you can refocus after the event because its got 5 lens (5 photos of the event?) and that sounds great. I am going to watch this launch event if its at a decent time just to hear more about this.
Jase

Why iD Mobile?