Blog

9 tips to get the most from your iPhone

• 6 March 2019
  • 4 replies
9 tips to get the most from your iPhone
Userlevel 8
Badge
Whether you’ve just got a shiny new iPhone (congrats!) or have been attached to your trusty old one for years, here are some of our favourite hacks and tips to help you get the most from it…

1. Charge faster in airplane mode

Let’s start with a great little tip to make sure your battery charges fast when you really need it. Simply switch on airplane mode, and your iPhone will gain juice much faster. Okay, so you won't be able to make calls or use the internet in airplane mode – but think of all that lovely battery life!

2. Shake your iPhone to undo that thing you didn’t mean to type

If you're sending someone a message - or writing a cool Insta caption - and you've just changed your mind about what you've written, just give your iPhone a shake and it’ll ask you if you want to undo. No more tapping the backspace button a million times now!

3. Hold down the camera button and go into burst mode

To make sure you capture that moment perfectly, you might want to take loads of pics at the same time. Instead of frantically tapping the camera shutter button, just hold it down. You’ll go straight into burst mode and take a load of shots, saving yourself a ton of effort. And most importantly, you’ll get that perfect snap.

4. Introduce Siri to your close family, for quick calling

Does referring to your parents (or grandparents) by their name make you feel awkward? Then teach Siri to know who you're talking about. If you ask Siri to you’re your mum, dad, grandpa or grandma, it’ll ask you what their name is. Then when you tell Siri the full name that you’re assigning the relationship to, it remembers. So from now on, when you say 'Hey Siri, call mum', it knows who you mean!

5. Top tip - closing your apps doesn’t save your battery life

It may sound unbelievable, but closing your apps could use up more battery life than just keeping them open.

Tech Expert James Goodnow advises: “Don’t swipe away the apps from the multitasking screen. People think that helps your battery life, but it actually makes it worse. iOS will close apps as it needs to. Firing them up fresh every time tasks the processor and drains the battery. It’s like constantly starting and stopping your car."

So now you know. Next time you’re tempted to close an app, will you be able to resist?

6. Download the iD Mobile app from the App Store

Of course we had to add this one in… but we think it’s very cool! You can control your iD Mobile account on-the-go (check allowances, view bills, set a cap, change your plan and more) by simply downloading the iD Mobile app from the App Store. We’ll let you into a little secret too - it’s completely free to download, and won’t eat any of your data allowance if you’re not connected to Wi-Fi!

7. Transfer your old apps and data to your new phone

Getting a new phone can be amazing… but also a little tricky if you want to bring all your apps, music and photos with you. Whether you’re switching from an old Android or iPhone, check out our guide to find out how to seamlessly switch everything over to your new iPhone!

Read more about how to switch your data here

8. Install some apps

One of the big advantages of a smartphone…all kinds of apps to explore and download from the App store! To find the App Store simply look for the icon in your menu or search ‘App Store’ using your phone’s search bar. Open it up and get discovering! Some apps are free to download and some you may need to purchase. Prices are clearly displayed under the app title and you can also check out reviews from users to help you decide whether to buy.

9. Say hello to Wi-Fi Calling

Wi-Fi Calling is available for selected iPhones on iD Mobile, and it’s a really handy feature. It lets you use Wi-Fi to make calls and send texts when coverage isn’t great. If you’re in a remote location or hit an indoor blackspot, it could be just what you need.

Read more about Wi-Fi Calling here

And there you have it! Our 9 tips to help you get the most from iPhone. Any questions on what you’ve read? Or would you like to share some tips of your own? Then go ahead and post a reply below.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Ohhh I like that shaking the phone to undo typing, pretty cool and I am already trying it out! The burst mode on the camera sounds great as I can never quite get the delay right from me seeing what I want and my brain telling my finger to click, and the phone deciding to focus and do it..... so yeah burst mode is definately one I want to try out. Thanks for the tips! Jase
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@JaseA
Now the shake thing would come in handy quite often.
I'm currently using a Samsung though but i'd definitely help.
There's some decent tips for ios users though.
Userlevel 2
I never knew that aeroplane mode helps charge faster. I’m going use it all the time now 😆.

Absolutely. All the points that you have explained is really impressive. very short and clear. keep it up! 

Why iD Mobile?