Blog

All we know about the Samsung Galaxy Fold

• 11 March 2019
  • 1 reply
All we know about the Samsung Galaxy Fold
Userlevel 8
Badge
The Galaxy Fold was finally revealed at Samsung’s recent Unpacked event, so here’s all the exciting news about this much awaited smartphone/tablet combo.

How does the Galaxy Fold look?

You may be surprised to hear that it’s actually pretty sleek – not bad for a device that has a hinge system down the middle. From what we saw at the launch event, the Galaxy Fold spears to fit in the hand pretty well, and it’s not as bulky as you might expect.

When folded out from the standard 4.6-inch front screen, it transforms into a tablet-style 7.6-inch infinity-flex display. Videos are going to look simply stunning, take it from us.

There are four awesome ‘galactic’ colours to choose from as well, for added personalisation. There’s Space Silver, Martian Green, Cosmos Black and Astro Blue.

How will it perform?

Until we get our hands on one, it’s hard to know for sure, but if the specs are anything to go by, then we’re in for a right treat. The switch between screens is completely seamless thanks to so-called ‘App continuity’, which means that if you’re looking at something on the front screen – a map for instance – you can open up the device and that same map will be there, just bigger.

What about the hinge though? Won’t that put a great big line across the screen after a while? Well, Samsung has thought of that, and say that it should be able to withstand thousands of folds and unfolds.

Any good for multitasking?

It’s GREAT for multitasking. When opened up, you can use three apps at the same time. And it worked So, if you’re mid-video and a message comes through, there’s no need to pause the action – just reply while the content’s still playing.

What about the speed?

Even though there’s a lot of tech packed into the Samsung Fold, speed won’t be an issue. With 12GB RAM and 512GB of onboard memory, it’s responsive and fast. And, for the first time in a phone, there’s Universal flash storage 3.0, which means it can read data twice as fast as other phones on the market. Whether it’s unlocking it, launching your favourite apps, or looking for directions, just tap and it’s done instantly.

But won’t two screens drain the battery?

You would think so, wouldn’t you? But Samsung’s on top of this as well, with TWO batteries - one on each side of the hinge. Their clever engineers have used some rather special technology to combine them into one 4,380mAh power source, and that’s a lot.

What about the camera?

It’s not all about the screen. The cameras are pretty neat, too. This beauty packs six cameras - three on the back, two inside and a selfie cam.

Excited about the Samsung Fold. You’re not the only one. Tell us below what you’re looking forward to seeing the most.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Great article here,
I would really like to get my hands on one of these. I'd like to test it out for a couple of weeks and see if i could addapt to it.
Also the multi-tasking should be awesome on that.
Nice to see Samsung pushing technology foward too.

Why iD Mobile?