Halloween Competition - Closed

• 31 October 2019
  • 26 replies
Halloween Competition - Closed
Userlevel 8
Badge

Trick or treat? We’re running a Spooktacular competition to celebrate! 

Whether you’re dressing up as ghosts👻, carving pumpkins 🎃 into glowering jack-o’-lanterns or watching a horror movie to celebrate October 31st, we’ve got a great competition that’ll make your Halloween even better. 

You’re probably familiar with the short horror story attributed to Ernest Hemingway: “For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn.” The reason it’s so scary is because it raises more questions than it answers. In other words, what’s left unsaid is far more terrifying than what’s written because it’s left to your imagination.

In the spirit of Hemingway and all things ghoulish, ghastly and chilling, we want you to come up with a short story that you think will give us the shivers. We aren’t expecting a story as short as six words, so let your imagination run wild! We’re offering two winners the chance to get their hands on the Motorola G7 Power. 📱 But, as this is Halloween, there will also be another 2 winner that will be receiving an envelope ✉️ containing a trick for two unlucky entrants. Reckon you can make us jump? Give it a go! 😄

The competition closes on Thursday 7th November, so send in your horror story before the closing date and you could end up winning a shiny new phone. 📲

26 replies

Userlevel 1

I was fast asleep, until I woke up, to the sound of our baby monitor projecting a calming voice, that was comforting our newly born baby in the other room. As I turn over to go back to sleep, I brush against my wife, fast asleep next to me...

Userlevel 1

In university my friends and I were messing around with a Ouija board one Halloween night in ourt student victorian House digs. We had done it before and nothing remarkable had ever happened. We usually did it to try and scare each other or are girlfriends. We all thought it was a joke. That night there was no one else home except the 8 of us and we were all together around the board. One of the girls there wanted to try it. She had never done it before.

This time was different. The board misspelled some of the words the same way every time. It gave answers that seemed really historically accurate for our town (things we neither knew or cared about). Long story short, the “spirit” claimed it was a 11 year old boy who had died on the property in the 1800s and was buried there too in an unmarked grave (my friends house was on a farm in the edge of town). We were all a little freaked out because the board had never been so detailed and consistent. However, we were still skeptical and we were all assuming one of us was trying to scare the rest.

Finally, my friend asked if the spirit could do something to prove he was there with us. It went to Yes and then spelled out k-n-o-c-k. Then the planchette stopped moving. We just all stared at it silently and then there was a knock on the kitchen door right next to us. The fridge door was open in the dark and there was absolutely nobody there.

We never touched that freaking board again.

Userlevel 1

Went to the fridge......no wine!!!!! 😮😮😮😮😱😱

Userlevel 2

My in-laws hugged me and told me they missed me. It was only when they later mentioned plans to work on their target practice that I started feeling uneasy...

Userlevel 2

It was that time of year when the nights draw in, the wind gets up and it’s getting cold and unfriendly at night.

Home alone, I checked the doors before heading up to bed.

In the bedroom, I checked under the bed, in the bed and in the wardrobe - just to be safe before jumping in and pulling the covers right up.

I settled down, it was a quiet night.

I drifted off but then roused to a lighter sleep. Had I heard a noise?

I drifted off again but suddenly I woke, I had heard it ….. a crackly kind of a noise.

There it was again. I froze under the bedclothes. I had to turn the lamp on but I really didn’t want to.

Gingerly I reached for the bedside lamp, the hairs on my neck and my arms were sticking up and my heart was racing.

The lamp came on. I couldn’t see anything, but there it was again … crackle, crackle.

The noise was coming from the floor by the bed.

I looked over the edge of the bed and there it was walking on my empty crisp packet - a mahoosive spider !

Eek I hate them and this one was a monster. 

how could I sleep with it roaming the bedroom ?

There was nothing else for it but to go downstairs and fetch the hoover.

I got out of bed.

I skirted the spider quietly not wanting it to run and hide or worse, run at me.

I headed for the landing light switch, but wait ….. I’m sure I can hear knocking downstairs.

I stand frozen to the spot whilst the knocking carries on.

I’m all alone. I can’t go back, I can’t go down but I have to choose.

Slowly I descend the stairs.

’knock, knock, knock’ It’s in the kitchen.

I leave the lights off and tiptoe towards the noise.

I reach the kitchen doorway and can barely breathe with fear.

I hear it knocking loudly this time.

I reach for the light switch and there it is standing before me, frantic .

It’s next doors cat trying to get out of the locked cat flap !

I let it out, we are both relieved.

I don’t need ghosts or spooks just a wild and vivid imagination to scare the wits out of me.

Userlevel 3

I hate it when my brother Charlie has to go away. My parents constantly try to explain to me how sick he is. That I am lucky for having a brain where all the chemicals flow properly to their destinations like undammed rivers. When I complain about how bored I am without a little brother to play with, they try to make me feel bad by pointing out that his boredom likely far surpasses mine, considering his confine to a dark room in an institution. I always beg for them to give him one last chance. Of course, they did at first. Charlie has been back home several times, each shorter in duration than the last. Every time without fail, it all starts again. The neighbourhood cats with gouged out eyes showing up in his toy chest, my dad's razors found dropped on the baby slide in the park across the street, mom's vitamins replaced by bits of dishwasher tablets. My parents are hesitant now, using "last chances" sparingly. They say his disorder makes him charming, makes it easy for him to fake normalcy, and to trick the doctors who care for him into thinking he is ready for rehabilitation. That I will just have to put up with my boredom if it means staying safe from him. I hate it when Charlie has to go away. It makes me have to pretend to be good until he is back.

Userlevel 2

I hate it when my brother Charlie has to go away. My parents constantly try to explain to me how sick he is. That I am lucky for having a brain where all the chemicals flow properly to their destinations like undammed rivers. When I complain about how bored I am without a little brother to play with, they try to make me feel bad by pointing out that his boredom likely far surpasses mine, considering his confine to a dark room in an institution. I always beg for them to give him one last chance. Of course, they did at first. Charlie has been back home several times, each shorter in duration than the last. Every time without fail, it all starts again. The neighbourhood cats with gouged out eyes showing up in his toy chest, my dad's razors found dropped on the baby slide in the park across the street, mom's vitamins replaced by bits of dishwasher tablets. My parents are hesitant now, using "last chances" sparingly. They say his disorder makes him charming, makes it easy for him to fake normalcy, and to trick the doctors who care for him into thinking he is ready for rehabilitation. That I will just have to put up with my boredom if it means staying safe from him. I hate it when Charlie has to go away. It makes me have to pretend to be good until he is back.

Is this your story ? 
it’s all over the internet https://www.reddit.com/r/shortscarystories/comments/21xi83/i_hate_it_when_my_brother_charlie_has_to_go_away/

Userlevel 1

Mommy told me never to go in the basement, but I wanted to see what was making that noise. It kind of sounded like a puppy, and I wanted to see the puppy, so I opened the basement door and tiptoed down a bit. I didn’t see a puppy, and then Mommy yanked me out of the basement and yelled at me. Mommy had never yelled at me before, and it made me sad and I cried. Then Mommy told me never to go into the basement again, and she gave me a cookie. That made me feel better, so I didn’t ask her why the boy in the basement was making noises like a puppy, or why he had no hands or feet

Userlevel 2

Mommy told me never to go in the basement, but I wanted to see what was making that noise. It kind of sounded like a puppy, and I wanted to see the puppy, so I opened the basement door and tiptoed down a bit. I didn’t see a puppy, and then Mommy yanked me out of the basement and yelled at me. Mommy had never yelled at me before, and it made me sad and I cried. Then Mommy told me never to go into the basement again, and she gave me a cookie. That made me feel better, so I didn’t ask her why the boy in the basement was making noises like a puppy, or why he had no hands or feet

This isn’t your story, it’s all over the internet and it belongs to a Olivia_Meyer. https://www.wattpad.com/62934282-short-scary-stories-puppy-in-the-basement

Userlevel 1

Doesnt state you cant take it from internet it is my own just borrowed from someone else 🤷‍♀️

Userlevel 3

I checked my dashboard on the I'd mobile app. There was no data left...

Userlevel 1

It was bed time , I was in my pjs , washed and brushed my teeth , all ready to go to bed but something was missing , someone was missing , "wheres my daddy" I thought,  I looked out the window and the big bright moon , so round and high in the sky , i hear a barking coming from downstairs,  I thought to myself , I dont have a dog, so I slowly climb down the stairs , my heart beating fast and my breath getting heavier , I begin to smell wet dog , I get to the bottom of the stairs and do not turn the light on, the floors wet , can't tell what it is but it isnt water , I call out " mum , dad where are you? " all I get back is a sound that only a large dog makes,  I creek the door open and see a big hairy wolf like man creature and a body , a body that looks likes my mum,  and that was the day I died. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It was a rainy afternoon as the thunders struck. The clocktower rang and the ravens scattered. As I looked around, all I could see was misery. The clouds were grey cast a stark silhouette against the skyline. I watched as they mourned and we lowed the coffin into the grave. Poor Ruth, she was a strong woman, but she couldn’t beat it. Everyone hugged John as he bid goodbye to his wife. “64 years” he shouted.. “That’s how long we were married and I now spend my coming years alone..”

That night, I sat in the office and pondered upon my own life, as I often did working at a graveyard and dealing with death on a daily basis. I was on duty, it was my night.. once every month we took turns to watch and this was the one I was dreading. The rain had poured through the night, the trees swaying in the wind and tapping against the window, something that would keep me on edge constantly. I picked up my magazine someone left behind.. “CELEB GOSSIP” gosh I hated celebrity tabloids. Always posting about pointless things when there were bigger worries in the world.

Just then, a loud BANG. I look out of the window and wiped off the steam, I could barely see anything in the rain. I grabbed my flashlight and geared up with my umbrella to head out and investigate. There was smoke, barely visible in the distance. I ran outside expecting to find some kids letting off fireworks. As I approached closer to the smoke, I saw some figures stood around a fire. I hid behind a few bushes and peered over, turning off my light to avoid any attention.

I heard chanting.. I couldn’t really understand what I was seeing. They were stood around in a circle with the fire in the middle, chanting but I couldn’t quite make out the words. They were dressed in all black with white masks you’d find in a crafts shop. I could feel an eerie presence in the air and dreaded being here already. All of a sudden I felt a hand grasp my shoulder, I turned around and stared right into the face of the mask. There were no eyes behind it.. no features that I could make out, almost as if it wasn’t real. I yelled for help, but realising no one around it was futile.

“HELP” “SOMEBODY” as the figure dragged me over to the circle. I thought it was a dream and tried desperately to wake up but nothing happened.  They cornered me as I walked back towards the fire, step by step getting closer and closer, inches away from the naked flames that would soon be my demise.

One of them stepped forward and took out his hand, I couldn’t back up anymore at this point. They walked towards me and reached out under the drapey fabric. I was expecting a gun or something that would end it all..  As he went to take out he yelled “Press ALT + F4”  “Press ALT + F4”.. 

I looked down at my keyboard.. 

Userlevel 1

I got married!

Userlevel 2

The Day I Became Afraid of Water

I am aware that the title of my story seems a little over the top, however you’ll soon see why I chose it.

It seems like a lifetime ago, when I was an eight year old and like many other children, I hated having to stop playing in order to take a bath.

It meant that bedtime was looming, but I had no idea that it would lead to one of these true ghost stories, which I was too young to even read at the time.

Being a senior now, it’s amazing how that memory is one of the strongest among the many in my ageing mind.

My parents were loving but strict, so I wasn’t allowed to take toys into the bath.

I had a limited time to wash myself properly and prepare for bed, but the one thing I enjoyed was pretending that I was a mermaid.

It was the only way to make a dreary task palatable, so I would wash quickly and spend the rest of the time slithering about and singing like a siren – albeit quietly to myself.

One night changed that forever, when I felt like I wasn’t the only one in the bathtub.

For the record, I wasn’t ill, I wasn’t sleepy and I’m sure it wasn’t my childish imagination.

After I hurriedly washed myself, I slipped under the water and started my mermaid game, pretending that I was in a magical water world.

Then I saw what looked like some kind of a face grinning in a sinister way, on the side of the bathtub.

I gasped and leaped out of the water, sitting back on my knees and spluttering – trying to catch my breath so I could scream.

Even though the face disappeared, I knew I wasn’t alone.

After I caught my breath and decided not to scream– yet, I sat up on the edge of the tub and strained my eyes to try and see where the face went.

There was no way that it was a reflection of my own face.

It was surreal and dark, sending waves of fear through my psyche, but I just had to try and figure out what or who it was.

I know it sounds strange, but I was suddenly self-conscious about being naked, so I covered my lower body with the washcloth before sliding back under the surface.

No sooner had I done so, when I saw the face again – this time on the bottom of the tub looking back up at me.

The evil face had a terrifying look to it, like it wanted to hurt me.

What happened next still haunts me, which is why I haven’t taken a bath since or stepped in a puddle or any body of water.

As I pulled back in order to get to the surface, something either pulled me down or compelled me to get closer to it.

It felt like my face and the face of the ghost – or whatever it was – were like magnets mashing together.

I bumped my forehead as I thrashed around, trying to get away from it and feeling like I was being sucked down the drain.

The funny thing about it was, I must have dislodged the plug, as the water was now draining fast.

I screamed as the gurgling water dragged my hair along with it, still battling to rise up and away from the face, which was now distorted and swirling along with my hair and the water.

Then I felt two large hands under my armpits and dragging me up.

I fought hard as I screeched in terror, not realizing that it was my father.

He brought me up into his arms as I kicked and cried.

He yelled, “What are you doing, silly child?!”

I stopped and then clung to him like a drowned monkey.

I pointed to the bath but the face was nowhere to be seen.

When I told him what happened he laughed and dried me off.

From that day forward I refused to take a bath or swim

I only took showers, which pleased my parents, but I have to admit – I take the fastest showers in history.

Even though I know that there’s a good chance it was just my imagination, I’ll never forget that awful face and how it made me fear for my life.

Halloween is my worse nightmare … it is scary and I hate it !! However , in my house one child likes to go out to knock at strangers’ doors asking for sweets, while the other child stays home and demands good quality sweets to be bought from the shops !! The perks of being a parent !!!!lol

Userlevel 1

My first marriage was the worst horror story of my life...

i married a guy who turned out to be a controlling psycho who made my life a living hell, threatened to slit my throat then kill himself when I tried to leave him. Thankfully I escaped the nightmare, moved away and divorced him. 

Userlevel 1

My girlfriend asked me to wash the pots and hoover the house...in the same day!

Userlevel 3

On a dark cold night, a mysterious figure was moving with haste through the rooftops. Almost impossible to detect  but the sounds of his trench coat rippled through the air. Suddenly, he disappeared and after exactly 69 seconds, a murder was reported and 420 seconds later, the sounds of sirens shook the ears of citizens within a 1 mile radius. It was found that the mysterious figure was the one that was actually murdered and the killer still remains unknown to this day. Although some reported seeing bright flashes of light with eerie sounds sending shivers down the witnesses’s spines; seconds before the murder… 

Coffin for sale: used only once.

Userlevel 2

The Day I Became Afraid of Water

I am aware that the title of my story seems a little over the top, however you’ll soon see why I chose it.

It seems like a lifetime ago, when I was an eight year old and like many other children, I hated having to stop playing in order to take a bath.

It meant that bedtime was looming, but I had no idea that it would lead to one of these true ghost stories, which I was too young to even read at the time.

Being a senior now, it’s amazing how that memory is one of the strongest among the many in my ageing mind.

My parents were loving but strict, so I wasn’t allowed to take toys into the bath.

I had a limited time to wash myself properly and prepare for bed, but the one thing I enjoyed was pretending that I was a mermaid.

It was the only way to make a dreary task palatable, so I would wash quickly and spend the rest of the time slithering about and singing like a siren – albeit quietly to myself.

One night changed that forever, when I felt like I wasn’t the only one in the bathtub.

For the record, I wasn’t ill, I wasn’t sleepy and I’m sure it wasn’t my childish imagination.

After I hurriedly washed myself, I slipped under the water and started my mermaid game, pretending that I was in a magical water world.

Then I saw what looked like some kind of a face grinning in a sinister way, on the side of the bathtub.

I gasped and leaped out of the water, sitting back on my knees and spluttering – trying to catch my breath so I could scream.

Even though the face disappeared, I knew I wasn’t alone.

After I caught my breath and decided not to scream– yet, I sat up on the edge of the tub and strained my eyes to try and see where the face went.

There was no way that it was a reflection of my own face.

It was surreal and dark, sending waves of fear through my psyche, but I just had to try and figure out what or who it was.

I know it sounds strange, but I was suddenly self-conscious about being naked, so I covered my lower body with the washcloth before sliding back under the surface.

No sooner had I done so, when I saw the face again – this time on the bottom of the tub looking back up at me.

The evil face had a terrifying look to it, like it wanted to hurt me.

What happened next still haunts me, which is why I haven’t taken a bath since or stepped in a puddle or any body of water.

As I pulled back in order to get to the surface, something either pulled me down or compelled me to get closer to it.

It felt like my face and the face of the ghost – or whatever it was – were like magnets mashing together.

I bumped my forehead as I thrashed around, trying to get away from it and feeling like I was being sucked down the drain.

The funny thing about it was, I must have dislodged the plug, as the water was now draining fast.

I screamed as the gurgling water dragged my hair along with it, still battling to rise up and away from the face, which was now distorted and swirling along with my hair and the water.

Then I felt two large hands under my armpits and dragging me up.

I fought hard as I screeched in terror, not realizing that it was my father.

He brought me up into his arms as I kicked and cried.

He yelled, “What are you doing, silly child?!”

I stopped and then clung to him like a drowned monkey.

I pointed to the bath but the face was nowhere to be seen.

When I told him what happened he laughed and dried me off.

From that day forward I refused to take a bath or swim

I only took showers, which pleased my parents, but I have to admit – I take the fastest showers in history.

Even though I know that there’s a good chance it was just my imagination, I’ll never forget that awful face and how it made me fear for my life.

This isn’t your story it belongs to smiles_hurt, it’s all over the internet https://www.wattpad.com/470120131-horror-stories-the-day-i-became-afraid-of-water

Userlevel 1

Once upon a time there was a big man. One day he became a vampire and ate everyone in the world

Userlevel 3

When I worked in a pub in Somerset a few years ago, we closed after lunch service in until we opened back up for dinner time. I would go around, resetting all of the place settings and blow out the candle on each table.

When we would go back to open up for dinner, this one candle on the table by the door was always relit which was pretty spooky.

To add to this, while stocking the glasses back on the shelves one afternoon, I saw in the reflection in the mirror of a pale old man. He walked past me and made his way to bathroom. The pub was also closed at that time and the man was never seen again... 

Early this year, my daughter's first boyfriend asked me if he could propose marriage to her and I agreed to it. 

End of September he arranged for the proposal at a country hotel in Somerset and asked family members to be there. Those who attended parked our cars in hiding, I hide one to disguise it. And then went and hid in the dining area, whilst the two enter the room the young man knelt before her and asked her to marry him. She said yes and then everyone like a valcano erupted in cheers. She was shocked but very happy.

Then inquest began for quite a number of family members had been involved in the planning.

Then she said to "is that why you have been acting wired" 

They got married the following day, traditional married. 

Userlevel 2

"Dude, calm your baby down. Watching the game isn't much fun with the kid screaming upstairs."

Joe looked at Alex, a look of confusiom on his face. 

"I don't have any kids!" He uttered. They turned to listen and hear movement on the stairs, steps creaking slowly under huge weight, getting closer and closer.

"Who's that then?" Alex asked "i thought we were alone..?" 

"There is literally no-one else here!" Joe shouts as he starts towarda the door.

At this point the camera that one of them was using drops to the ground, as blood splatters across the wall. I close the viewer on the small camera, having seen enough. Day 2 on the job as a detective, I didnt envisage myself in a blood soaked lounge, in a nice suburban home, all alone waiting for forensics.. 

Wait. What's that sound.. is that a baby crying?

Why iD Mobile?