How to prevent fraud and nuisance texts and calls

• 25 February 2021
  • 15 replies
How to prevent fraud and nuisance texts and calls
Userlevel 8
Badge

Nuisance calls and texts are to take you away from that Netflix episode, platform game or group chat. Recently, we’ve been made aware of several fraudulent calls and texts affecting iD customers, so it’s worth knowing how to report it and prevent it from happening again, should you be affected.

Whether it’s a bogus call about an ‘accident’ that you never had, a ‘smishing’ text claiming to be from someone they’re not, or even a legitimate company trying to sell you stuff you’re not interested in, there are a few things you can do to stop it. We’ll show you how.

What is ‘smishing’?

‘Smishing’ is essentially phishing via text message. These messages fraudulently claim to be from reputable organisations like network operators, energy companies or retailers, in order to get the recipient to give personal information like passwords or bank details. Unfortunately, it’s a common practice because on the whole, we tend to be less diligent with our texts than our emails.

If you receive a text that makes you suspicious, don’t tap on any links that are included. And if you’re certain that the message was sent to you fraudulently, always report it to https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/.

Here’s what you can do to prevent pesky communications on your phone:

Be careful what you’re ticking

When you sign up to anything online, look out for tick-boxes that say things like “I give permission for third parties to contact me by phone” or “I give you permission to contact me by phone”. Don’t tick them if you don’t want to be contacted!

The same thing goes for all kinds of communications, be they email or text. For example, some comparison sites make you enter your personal details when you look for an insurance quote, and it’s easy to end up finding yourself on a mailing list. Whenever you buy or subscribe to something online, always double-check about the type of communications you consent to.

Register with the Telephone Preference Service

The best way to prevent nuisance calls is to register your number with the Telephone Preference Service. Doing this adds your number to their database of phone numbers that opt out of sales and marketing calls. It’s illegal for companies to call numbers registered with the Telephone Preference Service, so it should scare companies away and stop them bothering you.

You can register both mobile and landline numbers. However, it only prevents live sales and marketing calls, not pre-recorded messages, abandoned calls or market research.

You’ll need your phone number, postcode and an email address to sign up on the Telephone Preference Service website. You can also sign up from your mobile by texting ‘TPS’ and your email address to 85095. Or you can call them to register on 0345 070 0707.

It’s free to register with the Telephone Preference Service. If anyone asks you for money to sign up, it’s a scam - you should report it to the Consumer Service.

If you get sales calls after you’ve registered with the Telephone Preference Service, it may be because you gave the caller your number. Go ahead and tell the individual caller you don’t wish to be contacted again, and hopefully they should stop calling you. If they don’t, see ‘Report a nuisance call or text’ below.

You may still get calls from companies that don't follow the regulations. If you do find yourself getting these calls after you’ve signed up, report it to the ICO 

Block nuisance calls

You can block persistent calls from the same number on your phone. It varies between operating systems, but usually involves opening your call list and choosing the number you want to block (usually by pressing an info button next to the number - be careful not to call it). Then you should be shown an option to block that number.

Alternatively, some smartphones are clever enough to detect that the number coming through is a scam call and let you know as it happens, giving you the option to block the number right then and there.

What to do if you think it’s a scam call

Scams usually involve people being tricked into giving money. If you think a caller is trying to scam you, just like with smishing texts, report it to Actionfraud straight away.

Stop getting nuisance texts

If you’ve given your number to a company in the past, they may send you texts. You can usually tell them to stop sending you texts by replying ‘STOP’ to the text message. Only reply with ‘STOP’ if the sender tells you who they are in the text, or they’re identified in the sent-from number.

If you don’t recognise the sender of the nuisance text, or it’s from an unknown number, don’t reply. If you do, it lets the sender know your phone number is active and they might hassle you even more.

Registering with the Telephone Preference Service won’t stop you getting nuisance texts

When you do get a nuisance text, forward it to 7726 - this spells ‘SPAM’ on your phone keypad. Doing this reports the sender to iD Mobile and you won’t get charged for the text.

As we mentioned before, you can also report nuisance calls or texts to the Information Commissioner's Office online. They can take action against whoever made the call. You’ll need to know the number the nuisance called from, and the date and time they called. You should be able to find both in your call history.

Those are a few of the best things you can do to stop annoying calls and texts from coming through. Give them a go and see how you get on! Let us know in the comments below.

15 replies

Userlevel 1

We have put a sofa on sale locally and was contacted via text message about it.

Text asked if it was still for sale and I replied yes. 

Number is scam, only noticed as I recieved an instant text from ID saying texting abroad was chargeable. Number +1 312-483-5665.

I've blocked and named as Spam.

Is it likely to charge against my bill?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @ScottG 

It’s possible should the number be a chargeable one you’d be charged for it, we’d recommend checking your bill and setting your bill cap appropriately.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the info Tom,

I've already adjust the bill cap. 

Thanks again👍

Userlevel 1

Am receiving unwanted messages on my home screen after trying to get onto an equestrian site last weekend. Messages range from telling money transferred to bank, sim is locked, virus found. Don't open them just delete them any idea how to stop them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Ann Rutter 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve received these, are you receiving these texts from the same number? If so you may be able to send the number a text saying “STOP” or you may be able to block the number from the device itself.

Have you researched the number online to see if anyone else has had any issues with it/them?

Tom

Userlevel 1

No they simply appear as a pop up notification on my home screen from Samsung keyboard and show  www.edix... then a brief message eg. Phone has virus/trogen detected click here to remove it. I just delete it, happens maybe 6 or 7 times a day for the last week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Ann Rutter 

It sounds like you may have downloaded an unsecure app or file, it may be worth factory resetting your device.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thank you. 

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom

Having recently joined iD I have been checking the procedure for reporting scam texts and calls, and have noticed that, in a Tutorial it says forward texts to 7726, which is correct.

However in explaining what to do with a scam call, it says text ‘CALL’ to 7726, BUT!, what it should say is text ‘CALL’ followed by the offending telephone number.

I think this should be corrected in the Tutorial I read. Also this is not mentioned in the Article at the top of this page!

I have been getting txt from a number and it is costing me £1.50 all the time but I can't afford to pay for it all the time it's adding up every time I get one I'm not going to be able to afford my next bill if it keeps happening I've reported it as a scam I hope it stops taking £1.50 from me please 

Userlevel 1

Hi Elizabeth Mclachlan

I think the best Idea would be to go into your account details and set a ‘Spend Cap’ then this should limit the extra you can spend, you could check this info with iD.

Userlevel 2

For nuisance calls, as well as reporting to the ICO, Action Fraud, and registering with the Telephone Preference Service don’t forget to check out what features your device offers.

I have a Pixel device and manually screen calls (unfortunately automatic screening is US only), as well as using Caller ID and Spam Protection. If your device asks for feedback it’s always worth reporting Spam/Scams to help train their systems and hopefully block or alert other users in the future. 

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I was wondering why iD Mobile was not sending my forwarded texts using "7726" until I eventually discovered that it is (now) incorrect as stated above...

"When you do get a nuisance text, forward it to 7726 - this spells ‘SPAM’ on your phone keypad. Doing this reports the sender to iD Mobile and you won’t get charged for the text."

The number should be "37726" .... THEN the text is forwarded correctly. Perhaps the above paragraph needs updating to save others some time?

Cheers,

Dave.

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hey @boothy99

Thanks for your feedback!

We’ll look into this internally and update the content where need. 

Thanks,

Nikhil

Userlevel 1

Thanks Nikhil 👍

I found the corrected number by accident, here -

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/faq

What can I do to stop and prevent charges from SPAM messages?

If you think you've received a spam message, we recommend you follow these steps below:

1. Check that the message is actually spam. Sometimes companies who you may have shared your information with or done business in the past may contact you for marketing purposes.
  2. Report the spam message to us by:
    • Forwarding the unwanted message free of charge to 37726.
    • Forwarding the number of the person who sent you the message free of charge to 37726.
  3. Disable the Push messaging service on your device. If you're unsure of how to do this, refer to your operating manual.

Why iD Mobile?