Huawei P30 Pro Competition! - Closed

Userlevel 8
Badge

When spring is in bloom, we just want to capture it. And there’s no better way than with the brand new Huawei P30 Pro with its 40MP Leica camera.

For your chance to get your hands on one, simply comment below your top tip for taking pics on your phone. We’ll choose one at random to WIN!

Lights, (phone) camera, action…

Competition ends midnight on Sunday 7th April.

Good Luck!

T&C's Apply

140 replies

Userlevel 3
My top THREE tips are:

• Avoid zooming in.
  • Capture small details.
  • Use natural light.
Job done, potentially a perfect photo!

Dave
Userlevel 8
Badge
Hi @Beanielove2017

As the lucky winner, this is your final call to claim your Huawei P30 Pro prize!

Please reply to us on here, via private message or respond to our email by 5pm today.

Thanks,
The iD Team
Userlevel 1
My top tip would be to maintain good quality by using natural lighting and using the tap focus feature on the Huawei👍☺️
Userlevel 8
Badge
Congratulations @Awesome55 ! You’ve been selected as the winner of our iD Mobile Community Huawei P30 Pro competition.

We’ve emailed you with all the relevant details and to confirm your win.

A huge thank you to everyone who entered, there were some great hints and tips!

Keep an eye out as we’ve got some great giveaways coming up.
Userlevel 1
This is difficult but always have a phone with a good camera and take your time!
Userlevel 3
To me, the two things everyone should know about that will have the biggest impact in the photos they take is knowing the basics of composition and lighting.

Most camera apps have the ability to enable “grid lines” which adds lines that split the camera view into 9 rectangles. Instead of putting your subject of interest bang in the centre, try instead centring the subject where one sett of horizontal and vertical lines meet. This technique is called the rule of thirds, where our brains focus on any of the for intersections and is probably one of the easiest photography ‘tricks’ to understand. While you are ‘framing up’ your subject in one of those intersections, why not try experimenting with taking the photo from a higher or lower angle (standing on something or crouching down). Because we are not used to looking at the world from these angles, it can add drama and interest to the photo.

A simple tip for lighting with shots of the family on a bright sunny day is to find some shade. Bright light might seem light great light for a photo, but can be too harsh and cause light colours to ‘blow out’. No-one wants white cheek highlights and a white top blinding everybody! Shade can also help avoid people squinting, which isn’t a flattering look!

Finally, be bold! Even if your phone doesn’t have the ‘best’ camera, doesn’t mean it can’t take a great photo if you use it carefully. Don’t believe me?
https://www.androidauthority.com/professional-photographer-cheap-smartphone-camera-967007/

Here is a great article on composition:
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/9-top-photography-composition-rules-you-need-to-know-17158

And for lighting:
https://www.canva.com/learn/beginners-guide-natural-light-use-take-great-photos/
Userlevel 1

Competition Opens Monday 1st April

When spring is in bloom, we just want to capture it. And there’s no better way than with the brand new Huawei P30 Pro with its 40MP Leica camera.

For your chance to get your hands on one, simply comment below your top tip for taking pics on your phone. We’ll choose one at random to WIN!

Lights, (phone) camera, action…

Competition ends midnight on Sunday 7th April.

Good Luck!

T&C's Apply

My advice is take multiple photos of the shot you need from multiple angles and try using natural light where possible.
Userlevel 1
My tip: Don't be scared of taking too many photos - digital photography allows us to do this and then sort through afterwards. This is especially important in capturing 'that moment' at an event - you'll never forgive yourself if you miss it.
Userlevel 1
Click away: photos can always be deleted! This is the beauty of the digital age!

Lighting! Cameras are never going to cope well if the sun is behind the subject of your image.

Experiment! Have a good look in the settings for the camera on your phone. Playing around with the ISO can have some nice effects.

Good luck!
Userlevel 4
My top tip for taking photos is to always try and use natural light instead of flash.
Userlevel 1
Top tips for taking photos...!!!! Snap snap snap.... can always delete the rubbish ones 😁😁
Userlevel 1
The good list for taking good pics!
1. natural light for the best colouring
2. Arms close for better stable bility
3. Make sure you test the different setting om ur phones camera to find the best one to for the environment

Userlevel 1
When taking picture of a child, get down to their level or lower.
Userlevel 1
My top tip is:
Most phones have a feature where you press and HOLD the capture button and it takes multiple photos quickly one after another.

E.g I can press and hold for two seconds on my phone camera and it takes around 20 photos.

This is great for capturing kids and pets jumping and running around, sport events, wildlife moving etc!

Then simply delete the rubbish photos and keep the amazing action shots. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Take a few snaps rather than just one as you’ll then capture that perfect moment!
Userlevel 1
My tips,

See if there is a gcam mod for your phone (i.e. the Google Pixel camera app) - then you too can use the awesome Nightsight feature plus HDR+

Also, if you have a reasonable space on your phone or you can add an SD card, don't forget to take lots of shots to help you get the one killer shot - some phones will let you continuously shoot by tapping and holding the screen, so use it!
Userlevel 2
Hi there friends

My advice would be use all the features you have, as well as framing pictures, which is very important.

You can always crop them afterwards, and use different filters to get the best shot, some of which you will be surprised by.

Enjoy taking your pictures!

Gedfan.
Userlevel 3
Make sure the lens is clean. A greasy lens can give you some interesting effects but it's usually better to have a clear image.

Hold your phone close and with both hands to keep it steady. Movement of the phone can blur the image. One exception is for fast moving subject, like cars. You can get great action shots by perfectly tracking the subject (keep it in the same place in the viewer) so that only the background blurs.

It used to be the case that having your back to the sun gave the best chance of a decent shot, but with todays clever phones you can often get stunning shots with the sun in the picture. it costs nothing to try, so experiment.
Userlevel 1
My top picks when taking photos would be find something that excites you to take a photo of.. don't force yourself to take photos. Take your time and don't rush, even if there are a million people be confident in taking the photos. Play about with your settings and try again if you think you can do better. We can always do better.
Userlevel 1
And always remember to snap it before you forget it
Beautiful memories with ease
Userlevel 1
Take as many pictures as you have time for with all the different settings.
One is bound to turn out alright!
Userlevel 1
I agree with what many have already said: photos on mobile are digital so capture as many as you like and sort through them afterwards. Modern phones are already great at making your shots look good/excellent.

My top tip to get good photos would be to know what the quickest way to get your camera's app is! Whether it's a button press or gesture the quicker you can get to taking your photos the more likely you'll capture the best shot.
Userlevel 3
When you want to take the best picture possible ;

1. Try too seek an area where there is natural light available.

2.Use the technology available on the phone already for e.g Grid lines to get a good composition or special effects which are desired to set the contrast depending on how you'd like the photo.

3.If you'd like the picture to look more natural try to avoid flash as this could make it seem artificial.

4.The best position to put the phone in would be on its larger side to get a good angle and to avoid a tight picture which could be taken from the smaller side.

5.And FINALLY..............Last and least ''DONT FORGET TO CLEAN THE LENS''.........A DIRTY LENS COULD MEAN A DIRTY PICTURE!!!
Userlevel 1
make sjure you have good lighting and try different angles to get the perfect shoot and never take photos of the most obvious thing, look deeper .

Userlevel 1
My top tips:
1. Good natural lighting (unless you've got a really fancy phone)
2. Take multiple snaps and pick the best one
3. Relax

Why iD Mobile?