blog

Tips for using your phone abroad

• 14 August 2018
  • 7 replies
Tips for using your phone abroad
Userlevel 8
Badge
Heading on your hols? Lucky you. Check out our tips to make the most of your phone.

1. Watch out for data roaming

Though you’ll pay no data roaming charges in the EU, you most definitely will when travelling anywhere else in the world. And there are some real shock stories out there, like the woman who paid over £2,000 to download a Neil Diamond album while on holiday in South Africa.

So, our advice… turn off your data roaming setting, and go hunting for Wi-Fi instead.

2. Wi-Fi to the rescue

You may be surprised where you can pick up Wi-Fi these days. Even beachfront bars and the like tend to be connected. Do make sure the network you choose is protected by a password, just to be on the safe side. And if you’re using things like banking apps, it’s probably best that you’re familiar with the owner of the network.

3. Download your maps offline

No-one wants to get lost when they’re on holiday, but using map apps on the go all adds to data drainage. So here’s a great idea – why not download your maps offline before you go on holiday, or when you’re connected to Wi-Fi when you’re there.

Head to Google Maps, clear the search bar and type ‘OK Maps’ – you’ll then be given an option to save that area offline.

4. Backup before you leave

The holiday’s over. You’ve taken hundreds of awesome photos – memories you’ll never want to lose. So, the worst thing would be losing them, right? So before you leave, why not back everything up to a cloud storage system (Dropbox or My Knowhow Cloud, for example) or an external hard drive. Better safe than sorry.

5. Waterproof wonders

It always pays to be careful when using your phone by the pool, or at the beach – sand and water can play havoc with a phone’s insides. You might just get away with the odd splash, maybe even a quick dunking (depending on the phone), but anything more could spell curtains for your phone. Take a look at some of the best waterproof phones on the market, just for that little extra peace of mind.

Those are our holiday smartphone tips. If you’ve got any of your own, be sure to tell us below the line.

7 replies

Don’t bother with roaming! Wnnt to Portugal last year, roaming didn’t work at all, got absolutely no help from ID! Just visiting South Africa and got charged over £4 for data, phone was only on for a minute or two before mobile data was switched off! Bount a local SIM for £2.50 with 4GB data just use with Waze as satnav.

My advice, don’t bother with roaming, buy a local SIM, ID customer service is garbage, you get what you pay for!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Petelong,

We are sorry to hear that you had issues with roaming. 

You can view the link below for further information on using your SIM abroad.

Kash

Same old advice! In Portugal I did everything suggested, mobile data simply did not work, it is something to do with APN settings on my iPhone X. ID were unable to help me. In future I will be buying a local SIM as ID customer service is useless. You get what you pay for!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Petelong 

I’m sorry to hear you feel this way, have you tried the SIM in another device to see if it works?

Have you spoke to Apple about the missing APN settings?

Tom

Don’t be silly, have you ever tried to contact Apple! And anyway it’s probably a waste of time, the problem must be caused by ID as they control access to APN settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Petelong 

I personally haven’t tried to contact them being on an Android phone, however they would have more knowledge on the APN settings and how to access them, we shouldn’t be locking anybody out of their APN settings.

Tom

On the iPhone X, I am unable to access APN settings, which according to Apple is the carrier’s issue. So while in South Africa, I am using a local SIM for data which works fine and is cheap!

Why iD Mobile?