Blog

Train Your Brain with These Brilliant Apps – Competition

Train Your Brain with These Brilliant Apps – Competition
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

​It’s time to train your brain!

Whether you work 9-5 or study, or both, it can be tricky to get your mind into razor-sharp focus without the stimuli of your regular working space.

Giving your brain regular exercises is as great way to regain that focus and prepare yourself to handle anything that comes your way, whether it’s a problem that needs solving or several tasks that demand attention at the same time.

When you train your mind, you’re actually giving yourself the tools to complete tasks that you might have struggled with before, or even considered impossible. That’s why setting a little time aside each day for mental exercises can help you work, study, focus, and retain information more effectively.

Here are a few apps to help you on your brain training journey:

Lumosity

Free (Android, iOS)

Lumosity is one of the most well-known brain training apps around, and it’s no surprise. This app has something for everyone. Whether you want to improve your mental maths skills, add more words to your vocab, or improve your memory, Lumosity can help.

Every game is fun and engaging, and some are more stressful than others (Train of Thought, we’re looking at you). But the results are there to be seen. You’ll get insight into your brain speed, memory, attention and more, and you can even compare your stats to other Lumosity users.

And with Lumosity Premium (£59.99/year), you can unlock a whole lot more including a personalised training program that works for you, in-depth insights and useful tips on how to improve. Handy.

NeuroNation

Free (Android, iOS)

We love this app. The premise is simple – exercising the mind is as important as exercising the body.

There are over 30 great exercises for memory and concentration, and just 15 minutes a day is all that’s required to help improve your memory, thinking speed, focus, and even reduce stress.

Don’t just take our word for it though. A study was undertaken at the Department of General Psychology at Freie Universität Berlin, proving the app’s effectiveness. And it’s been awarded with the Google ‘Best Apps’ prize, too.

A premium subscription (£83.99/year) offers a comprehensive training program with full personalisation, but we recommend giving the free version a go first. It’s still ace.

Elevate

Free (Android, iOS)

Elevate is all about personalisation from the get-go. It offers personalised daily training sessions to suit you. Awarded ‘App of the Year’ for iPhones by Apple in 2014, this app puts your goals in mind before you even start. You can train to retain more of what you read, articulate your thoughts more clearly, process information faster, the list goes on.

You’ll need to take a quick test so the app can see your current level for each skill. Once that’s completed, the app will adjust the difficulty of each training game. It’s not just for your phone, either. You can track your performance progress on your Apple Watch, just like your physical fitness stats.

A premium subscription costs £37.99 a year, with a 7-day trial to begin. 

​​​​​​Competition Time:

We’re giving a £100 Currys PC World voucher to one lucky member from our brilliant Community - treat yourself to some top tech, on us!

For your chance to win, answer the question below:

‘What do you do to keep your mind in focus?’

Do you play games to improve cognitive ability and memory, use apps, or even go back to your classic Nintendo DS for some Brain Training nostalgia? Let us know.

Best of luck!

May’s Competition T&C’s

This topic has been closed for comments

99 replies

I like a long soak in the bath watching a film on my ipad (on a chair next to the bath!)  totally unwinds me after the hustle and bustle of my busy day.

Userlevel 1

I do use elevate every so often. But love learning new languages with Duolingo too. 

Userlevel 2

At the end of the day, after the little ones are in bed, all I want to do is put my feet up. Instead of sticking on the TV, fiddling on Facebook or just vegging I give my brain a quick workout by playing Puzzle Page or CodyCross. Great games that get your mind in motion. You can play for just a few minutes but they’re very addictive.

I also find my mind stretching when playing puzzles with my 4 year old! We got the IXL Learning app for him. He plays it for a short time most days. It’s basically maths and English but he sees it as games. Brilliant! My eyes watered at the price but we purchased it 5 months ago and it’s still getting a lot of use so has been worth the money. 

Definitely a bath and many watch some videos or rest my eyes 😁

Userlevel 1

I spend time visualising things, that I intend to do. 

I do a variety of games: sudoku, solitaire, minesweeper

I do Sudokus and speak several languages.

Solitaire !

During my breaks at work,I use language apps to train my brain.Ive so far learnt Spanish & French and just about to start German.

I like to play puzzle style games where you have to work things out. You get really into them and feel good when you get things right!

Good old analogue brain training - playing piano and guitar with the twist of music apps to practice. Symbiosis!!

I love Mahjong also caring for my 4 year old niece keeps my mind pretty sharp!

Regular increasingly hard  sudoku and crossword puzzles help to keep my mind sharp - can’t beat it.

Cryptic crosswords and number puzzles!

I spend time drawing and song writing. Both keep me calm yet focused. Trains the creative part of my brain. 

I also like playing games, not so much apps but on the computer. Also keeps my mind focused.

Userlevel 1

I still use my Nintendo DS brain training game! I also quite enjoy completing my suduko or wordsearch books in the garden

Can't beat a nice jog, glass of water and an apple. Freshens the old noggin right up!!!

Userlevel 1

Read a lot, play some games

i use my phone app word games to start my day off.

Word search  followed by card games over breakfast.

I then read all the news from Apple News that interests me and maybe finish off the day with a few chapters of a good Sci- fi book

Userlevel 2

I playcard and board games.

i get on a spin bike to destress and play bubblepop app

It's sudoku for me

I always stop in the middle of something exciting I am doing and get a drink or lunch as it means I’m excited to go back to it. If I push myself to finish it then I’m less enthused after the break to start something new.

I enjoy reading news articles and listening to reggae music.

Userlevel 2

I like playing video games and painting to help keep my mind sharp only started painting recently but I'm getting better :)

Why iD Mobile?