blog

What to do if you lose your phone

• 21 August 2018
  • 12 replies
What to do if you lose your phone
Userlevel 8
Badge
If you’ve ever lost your phone, you’ll know what a complete nightmare it is. Thankfully there are things you can do to try and locate it again. Should the worst happen, and it’s gone forever, then lower the cost and save yourself some extra hassle by following these simple steps.

Step 1: Attempt to find your phone

One thing you can do right now is turn on your phone’s location services. Do this, and you’ll be able to log into your account and see its location.

Got an iPhone? Then it’s worth having the Find My iPhone app. Sign into iCloud.com to see your phone’s location.

Got an Android? Then go to settings, select ‘Security & Location’ and toggle the ‘Find My Device’ to the on position. If you lose your phone, go to www.google.co.uk/android/devicemanager. Your phone’s location will appear on the map. From here you can ring your phone, lock it, or erase its contents remotely.

Step 2: Cancel your SIM card

If you’ve still had no luck finding your phone, your next step is to contact your provider.
Ask them to bar your SIM. Once barred, nobody will be able to make calls from your phone, or use your data. That should avoid any unexpected, and hefty bills. Your provider may also be able to blacklist the device, that way no-one will ever be able to use it, even if it gets sold on.

Step 3: Report it to the police

If you know for certain that your phone’s been stolen, and there’s no way to get it back, you should call the police. Ask for the crime reference number, which you’ll need to claim on insurance or if you want a replacement through Team Knowhow.

Step 4: Get in touch with your insurance company

Done step 3? Now it’s time to tell your insurance company – or Team Knowhow if you’re signed up – that your phone’s missing. Give them that crime reference number, and pass on the details about your phone and when you last remember seeing it.

Step 5: Check if you’ve run up a big bill – you may be able to write if off

You should always report your phone as missing ASAP, as any big bills generated during that time may have to be paid for. Some networks may charge a maximum of £100 in this case, provided you’re on a monthly contract and you’ve reported your device missing within 24 hours.

You may not get anything back if you’re on pay as you go. Got insurance? Then you should be able to claim for any unauthorised calls.

Step 6: Get a new phone and SIM card

You’ll need a new phone and a SIM. Your network will likely send you a new SIM, but they may charge you a small amount.

You’re unlikely to be given a replacement phone for free, and if you’re on a monthly plan, you’ll have to pay it up until the end of your contract.

From here you have three choices: buy a new phone and continue with your current contract, wait until the end of your contract and get a new phone, or get a cheaper pay as you go deal. Choose from a SIM Free phone or a SIM only deal.

If you’re insured, you could get a new phone for free. Team Knowhow’s Mobile Complete plan also protects your phone against loss and theft.

And that rounds up our advice for what to do if you lose your phone. Got any tips of your own? Then feel free to drop some knowledge nuggets below.

12 replies

My child has had their phone stolen.  I pay for their monthly sim only contract but do not remember their password and neither do they.  Because of this I cannot log into their account to block their SIM card.  There is seemingly no way I can talk to an id member of staff and the online chat is not in operation.  How do I retrieve my child’s details and gain access to their account?

Kind regards

Suzanne

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @SuzanneC ,

Is the SIM card registered to your name, or that of you child?

Will

I am not sure.  I presume my daughter’s as I can’t find anywhere on my account that she is listed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

In that case, she’d need to contact us directly. If she can create a profile here on the Community and post in this thread, we’ll be able to assist.

Thank you,

Rory

What info do you need exactly?  I’m a little worried about giving her personal details on a public forum i.e. her address and telephone number.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @SuzanneC, once she posts in this thread, we’ll make contact with her via private message. Of course you’re right, and we’d never ask anyone to post their personal details on a public thread.

Thank you,

Rory

Hi 🙂 im Snow (Suzanne C’s daughter) if you need to contact me could you message me via email on REMOVED and ill reply as soon as i can to see what i can do. Thank you ! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @SuzanneC, we’d need your daughter to create a new account on here with her own details and post in this thread. Then, we’ll pick this up with her using the Community’s private messaging feature, rather than via email.

Thank you,

Rory

Forgive me Rory but do I set up an account via the idmobile website?  Surely, if I try it will say her name and details are already in use.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @SuzanneC, unfortunately, as you’ve now implied that it’ll be you creating the account under her details, and not your daughter herself, I’m afraid we’re no longer able to assist from this platform for security purposes.

We need to ensure that the requests are coming directly from the account holder, and not from a third-party such as yourself. 

I can only refer your daughter to the Live Chat option, which is now operational again.

Thank you,

Rory

Hi Rory, The reason I would set it up with my daughter is that I pay the bill.  She has her own account but she is only 14 so i need to know how to close the account and keep her number etc as the real account facilitator is me.  If you need a police number to prove she has had her phone stolen, I can provide that but this is not a closed interaction with my daughter alone for these reasons.  If she were paying the bill then of course that would be a different matter.  Please could you advise what I do in this case.

I forgot to add, her account payment details are my bank account details not my daughters’.  If I can’t close down the account then my plan B is to stop the direct debit as this is becoming more of a headache than it’s worth.  It is a crazy situation that I cannot get on the phone and talk to someone direct in order to sort this our immediately.

Why iD Mobile?