Win a prize this Video Games Day - Closed

• 12 September 2019
  • 21 replies
Win a prize this Video Games Day - Closed
Userlevel 8
Badge
12th September is Video Gaming Day, which means you have even more reason to pick up your pad and bash some buttons. Grab your mates, fire up your favourite console and play the day away! It’s time to celebrate how great video games are and how far they’ve come. And to celebrate the big day, we’re giving away a PRIZE.

When was the first video game?
Although early video games were little more than lab experiments, the first created purely for entertainment happened in October 1958. Tennis for Two (a predecessor to Pong) was put on display at the Brookhaven National Laboratory for visitors to enjoy. But its inventor, Physicist William Higginbottom, had no idea what he was unleashing on the world.
Back then, players used a small analogue computer and twiddled some knobs to make a light (representing the tennis ball) bounce from side to side on the screen of an oscilloscope – a piece of equipment used to measure electronic signals.

The biggest video games out now
Since then, computer games tech has evolved from oscilloscopes to VR headsets. Some of the biggest recent titles arrived earlier this month:

· Catherine: Full Body (PlayStation 4, Xbox One) – September 3
· Warsaw (PlayStation 4, Switch, PC) – September 4
· River City Girls (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) – September 5
· Creature in the Well (Xbox One, Switch, PC) – September 6
· Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) – September 6
· NBA 2K20 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) – September 6
· eFootball PES 2020 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) – September 10
· Gears 5 (Xbox One, PC) – September 10
· Greedfall (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) – September 10

Upcoming games in 2019
And we’ve got a lot more to look forward to this year: from online tactical shooters like Ghost Recon Breakpoint to graphic adventure sequel, Life is Strange 2.

· Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, PC) – October 4
· Concrete Genie (PlayStation VR, PlayStation 4) – October 8
· Indivisible (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) – October 8
· Pokémon Shield (Switch) – November 15
· Pokémon Sword (Switch) – November 15
· Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) – November 15
· Life Is Strange 2: Episode 5 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) – December 3

While you wait for the big new titles, how about getting your hands on a new release video game?

How to enter
It’s easy! Dig out your old consoles, then comment below telling everybody in the iD Community about your favourite console and what’s great about it.
We’ll pick the best 2 comments and announce the winners on the thread. If you’re the lucky gamer, we’ll send you a private message. We’ll be sending you a gaming bundle worth £160 including a console game and gaming accessory.

You’ve got until 19th September to enter, and we’ll then pick a lucky winner at random. T&Cs apply.

Good luck have fun, gamers!

21 replies

Userlevel 3
The Nintendo 64, such a classic console! Who didn't love having to blow in to the game cartridges to get them to work 😊 my personal favourite games were 007, Pokémon Stadium, Diddy Kong racing and Mario party, always a joy to play no matter the mood.

Duck hunt & Mario on the NES for me! Then a few years later I remember being overwhelmed with joy and bursting into tears when my dad surprised me with a Super NES with Street Fighter 2.
Userlevel 2
Does the Gameboy count as a console? When i was about 12 i wanted one so bad i would enter competitions on TV to win but never did. Wasn't allowed as a birthday present as it couldnt do school work. First job when i was 15 and i was able to save enough to buy one. It was a glorious day! Even got my parents playing Tetris occasionally!

Userlevel 1
Has to be the Sega Megadrive for me. Nothing beat coming home from school and sticking Sonic on. Thinking about it brings back so many memories! Eating snow cones on the end of my bed and rocking out with the Sega. I'd love to give my son's those sort of memories! Those were the days 😍
Userlevel 1
It’s got to be the PlayStation 2 for me - used to spend hours playing the sims and Tony Hawk pro skater 3 (what a soundtrack).. when I met my (now) husband in university his first Valentine’s Day present to me was a copy of Tony Hawk Proskater 3 as I’d lost my original copy. Needless to say not much studying was done that year. Today is my wedding anniversary so this would be the prefect way to celebrate 🙂
Userlevel 1
I've still got all my old consoles, my favourite being the Nintendo 64. I've even got my ZX Spectrum - nothing beat that feeling of listening to the screeching tones of the tape as your game loaded and the sheer disappointment when it crashed the second the game came on 😂 Spectipede all the way!
I've still got all my old consoles, my favourite being the Nintendo 64. I've even got my ZX Spectrum - nothing beat that feeling of listening to the screeching tones of the tape as your game loaded and the sheer disappointment when it crashed the second the game came on 😂 Spectipede all the way!
Remember Dizzy's treasure Island?
Userlevel 1

I've still got all my old consoles, my favourite being the Nintendo 64. I've even got my ZX Spectrum - nothing beat that feeling of listening to the screeching tones of the tape as your game loaded and the sheer disappointment when it crashed the second the game came on 😂 Spectipede all the way!Remember Dizzy's treasure Island?

I've still got it! Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner, Daley Thompson love them all!
Userlevel 1
Has to be the n64, goldeneye at the time was probably the best game I’ve ever played. So much fun with 4 players.
Userlevel 2
My very first console was from way back in the 80's an Atari with Missile command being my favourite by a country mile.

Userlevel 2
SNES for the range of games available, especially the Beat-em-ups - so therapeutic! Best ever was Super Double Dragon, which was spectacular and silly, so great for playing with friends.
Userlevel 1
The playstation 1. Such gaming hype, my earliest memories of video games is playing the playstation demo 1 disk that came with the console. I mean thats a slight myth as I did play sonic on Sega meagadrive at a relatives before but the association with the demo experience is strong lol. Launching into fast moving footage of games like gran Torismo, Tekken 3 - the techno music in the menu accelerating my pulse. I loved the array of games, puzzle games like qubert, bubble bubble, strange and intriguing worlds to explore trepidatiously like in Abes oddysee. Great graphics and fun adventure in games like Spyro, Medievil, Croc. A lot of memories in my youth completing these games, they took on a more fantastic proportion back in the day. Also played a lot of soul blade with my brother lol, we enjoyed exploiting the jump attack and the kick much to the others frustration haha. I remember enjoying watching my brother play Rayman 2 the great escape, we would always have ideas how to get through parts of the game when one of us was stuck. And also the magazines and occasional cheat book was always something quite cool and mysterious back in the day.. We had another game that was kind of like pong where you control these little rectangle characters to break blocks that was always fun as well, football games and I remember the controller adapter for more players I can’t remember what multiplayer games were actually on the system apart from monopoly lol? Mickey mouses wild adventure and bugs bunny lost in time was some more games we played, I was quite young when I first had a ps1 lol, a little bit late to the ps2 scene as well I was still picking up preowned playstation one games into the 2000’s.. Metal gear solid was great. I even remember getting the telly tubbies ps1 game for my birthday and bringing it into “show and tell” in year 1 of school, I can’t remember the gameplay just the blue writing at the beginning of the game..
Userlevel 2
My favourite console not including my current one has to be my old Sega Saturn. I think it belonged to my uncle before I got it and only had a few games mostly football ones, but it did have my favourite game of all time Guardian Heroes. I used to rush home every day after school so I could play through it multiple times a night, it wasn't a long game but had so many different branches in the story every time you played it felt different. Even when I got older and got more advanced game consoles I would still go back and play on the old Sega Saturn I played it to death. And was rather upset when it stopped working. But years later I heard rumours that there was gonna be a HD remake of Guardian Heroes on the Xbox 360 I bought it the day it came out and was filled with memories of rushing back just so I could play it. I have an Xbox One X now, thankfully Guardian heroes is backwards compatible so I can still play it. It's the only game I havent deleted off my hard drive at some point to make space for other games.
Userlevel 1

It has to be my Sega Megadrive. Not only was it the coolest looking console it had some awesome games that my brother and I had hours of fun playing like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Sonic etc. Who could forget such seminal moments as pulling off your first fatality in Mortal Kombat or knocking your friends into livestock in Road Rash? Or playing as the raptor in Jurassic Park? Great memories.

Userlevel 1
The Gameboy Super Mario & Pokemon games, younger memories without colour which bought frustration fun & swishing of my tongue 👅 from side to side, late nights hiding under the covers till early morning leaving crumbs in my bed tiredness & more excitement as a new game was released, then tears when I couldn’t beat my brothers Tetris Score I was hooked, but Mario was my Saviour my favourite game of all time! Portable fun & find memories

Userlevel 1
My favourite console was my Master System 2. I only had 2 game for it, one was Alex Kidd. I’d stay up all night, it was so addictive! I can still remember the very last code to break, 30 years later. Sun water moon star sun moon star fish star fish crown 😂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
My favourite console would have to be Nintendo Original NES and Sony PlayStation Classic Console. I use to love playing the Mario Bros with my friends it sure was very addictive. I remember coming back from school and playing on the PlayStation. 🎮

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
My favourite console would have to be Nintendo Original NES and Sony PlayStation Classic Console. I use to love playing the Mario Bros with my friends it sure was very addictive. I remember coming back from school and playing on the PlayStation. 🎮

I had the same consoles also!

Mario Bros on the NES but couldn't really get past the 3rd World.

For the PlayStation though I had a tonne of games but I remember my first ever games were Ape Escape, Crash Bandicoot 3 & Spyro

Mohammed

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Picking a favourite console is tough, I'm one of those people that just never got rid of his old consoles and games growing up (and the ones I did, I feel kinda sad about still to this day 😝).

When I was a kid, I travelled a lot due to my dad's job (racing), and at every major racing paddock there would always be bars with arcades. So I got to grow up playing a lot of arcade hits in the early 90's, and had both Nintendo and Sega consoles either at home or on the road with me.

At my apartment right now, there's at least 25 unique consoles and handhelds (not counting duplicates I have of some just in case), plus an arcade machine.

I have a sleeve (several tattoos) on my right arm of various retro video game references from some of my favourite games growing up.

If you had to force an answer out of me. I think I'd go with the N64 just because it saw me throughout high school years, and we all had more time on our hands back then.

I'd always been an outdoorsy kid too, don't get me wrong (I'm a social butterfly, not the negative stereotyped bedroom dweller), but I think if video games hadn't been such good company I could have potentially fallen in with bad crowds and my life could have been much worse for that.

Video games &#x;
Userlevel 1
I found my old Super Nintendo in a shoebox, and despite the struggles hooking it up to a HDTV we fired it up.

No the graphics haven't aged well, yes I'd forgotten how often I need to blow on the cartridges, but to a 4 and 7yr old it was amazing.

Instantly recognising Mario, easy to understand simple gameplay, and the iconic music, they loved it!

It used to live on a desk under a window in my teenage bedroom, and the sun has bleached the parts of the cartridges that stuck out of the top, so it's clear to see my 2 favourite games!
(FYI, Mario Kart top right, Legend of Zelda beneath it)

Not ashamed to say, its stayed plugged into the bedroom TV, and I'm rekindling my own love with it, parking the PS4 for now...

Userlevel 8
Badge
Congrats! 🎉

You’ve been selected as the winner of our Video Games Day Competition. You’ve won a brand new gaming bundle worth £160 including a console game and gaming accessory.

Please let us know what gaming platform you have @Malficus @toadfinder in order for us to send you an relevant game.

You’ll receive an email today with all the relevant details.

A huge thank you to everyone who entered and shared your favourite console and what’s great about it.

Keep an eye out for upcoming competitions 😁

Thanks,
The iD Mobile Team

Why iD Mobile?