A top tip for leavers. Keep that Direct Debit open!

• 15 November 2018
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you’re on a SIM only or Pay monthly plan and you’re thinking of leaving iD Mobile we’ll be sorry to see you go. But we won’t make it difficult or stand in your way – that’s not what we’re about. You’ll find all the info you need in our returns and cancellations page.

One of the most important tips we can give you when you leave is this:

Please, please keep your Direct Debit open. Don’t cancel it. In fact leave it open for a whole month after you’ve disconnected.

Yes, even if you’re on a 1-month SIM only rolling contract, this still applies! You need to give us 30 days’ notice to end your plan if you’re on a 1-month rolling contract, just like our pay monthly customers do. That’s a really important point to remember, and it’s the reason why leaving your Direct Debit open will save you a lot of hassle. Let us explain…

After your 30 days’ notice period ends, your plan will close and we’ll issue your final bill. This bill will need to be paid by Direct Debit within 14 days. This is for your line rental, any out-of-plan usage up to the point of cancellation, and an early cancellation fee if it applies. If this Direct Debit fails (and it’ll obviously fail if you’ve cancelled it), your future credit rating might be affected!

On the other hand, your final bill might show that you’re due a refund – yes, this really does happen sometimes. And we'll be able to process this for you much quicker if your Direct Debit is still active. Happy days!

12 replies

And how do you get your credit back if your bank account has been closed?
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Hey @Katarina,

I have replied to your post regarding your question here.

Thanks,
Ryan
I cancelled this phone 3 weeks ago. It is now with resolver and there is a complaint active. Case iD 18312187. Stop hounding me and sort this out
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Hi @Eddiemarsh,

This doesn't sound good. Please can you send an email to us at CommunitySupport@idmobile.co.uk with more details on your issue, along with your community username, full name, full address, mobile number and date of birth and we'll take a further look into this?

Ryan
In reply to Ryan,
Apologies for the long e-mail, but I need to show how much stress this has caused me and my wife.
I am trying to cancel my contract, but I have tried 7 times now to no avail.

I ordered a phone on Sunday 17/03/19 from ID/carphone warehouse. Later that day, I received an e-mail saying the phone was not in stock.
I phoned ID on Monday the 18th and after a conversation where they could not give me a date when they would have stock I said I wanted to cancel. I was passed to the cancellation dept and cancelled.

Then on Thursday 21/03/19 I received an e-mail telling me the phone was now in stock and would be dispatched. I contacted DPD deliveries to advise them the phone had been cancelled, but they said they could not stop delivery. I contacted ID through on-line chat, (attached) to tell them the contract had already been cancelled. After some discussion they told me it would be cancelled again, but they could not stop the delivery, but told me to reject it once delivered. I followed this instruction and DPD returned the phone 22/03/19.

Monday 25/03/19 I received an e-mail saying DPD will deliver the phone again on the 26/03/19 so I phoned ID to complain again. On talking to the agent she said there was no record of the cancellation and would cancel again and to again reject the phone from DPD so it could be returned to ID/Carphone warehouse. She gave me a cancellation ref
Following this I raised a complaint with ID. After a number of e-mail exchanges I was told the phone was on its way back to iD on the 31/03/19.
I had heard nothing further until 08/04/19 when I received an e-mail for late payment. So I was very frustrated that after many attempts to cancel this phone I am now receiving e-mails accusing me of late payment! I am 59 years old and have always paid my bills on time so I find this very insulting and I was concerned that this could affect my credit rating.

08/04/19, once again I phoned the ID complaints dept and explained all this again. I spoke with Kauthar, (same person from previous chat) who said she would escalate this complaint and see if the phone had arrived back after 8 days!

09/04/19 I received an e-mail from ID asking ME to ask carphone warehouse to request a parcel search at DPD! I don't think I should be doing this as DPD's contract is with iD and not me! However, I did phone them, but carphone warehouse say they cannot do anything as the order is with iD.

This left me in a very difficult situation, iD complaints said they could not de-activate my account until the phone was returned. iD would not assist in requesting PDP do a parcel search. iD payment dept are sending me e-mails about late payment as I had cancelled the Direct Dept. I had phoned the payments dept to explain the situation, but they said they only took payment and could not help! It was starting to look like I was going to have to re-instate my Direct Debt and pay for a phone I'd never seen simply to avoid getting a bad credit rating! I have just retired from work and very busy organizing pensions, selling my house and moving. I don't need this harassment over something which is not my fault. iD's total incompetence has caused all of this and is offering no help to resolve it.
So I also raised a complaint with Resolver.
I wrote a complaint on iD on Trustpilot.
I raised the issue on iD Mobile Community
On this same day iD requested again that I re-instate the DD with warnings of credit score issues.

10/04 After a sleepless night for me and my wife I though I will sort this out myself, so-
I phoned DPD to try and resolve this myself. I got a vague reply from their rep, (Paul) saying he thought someone was looking into it, but had no detail or reference number to give me. Eventually he found a ref number, but had no idea of any details.
I then Spoke to Carphone Warehouse who passed me to iD
I Spoke to iD at 10am. She seemed quite helpful and spoke to DPD while I was on hold and confirmed a parcel search was now in place and should be done in 5 working days.She noted this on the ref and also said to not re-instate the direct debit and any credit score issue would be corrected by ID should they arise. Also any calls made on the phone would not be billed to me as the phone is not in my possession. I requested this in writing, but she said she could not do this. As I am always being asked for the number of this phone I've never seen I also asked her if she could tell me for future ref
After this I checked PDP's tracking which showed the parcel was on its way back to carphone warehouse 28/03/19, (attached).
I put a complaint into PDP via their complaints e-mail process requesting a parcel search.
Also on this day I got a reply from Trust Pilot from iD requesting details.
iD community also replied asking for detail.
PDP later replied saying- I have checked the details and it seems the parcel was re labelled under tracking number to be returned to sender. since the return to sender request, the parcel doesn't seem to have had any further scans and has not been returned to the sender yet. The investigation can take up to 5 working days and in the event we are unable to locate the parcel, the Carphone Warehouse may make a claim against DPD to recover the cost of the missing phone.
I am really sorry for the frustration and inconvenience this has caused you Eddie,
please contact the Carphone Warehouse and advise them we are investigating the case and ask them to contact us. Once the search is completed, we will forward the results onto the Carphone Warehouse along with any claim form if required.
I am sorry no one has raised this search investigation earlier for you Eddie,but now it is active the case will progress and a claim can be processed if the search doesn't locate the parcel.
Kind regards

DPD Make it Right.

So finally after my intervention something seems to be moving! Its a pity iD couldn't have done this. Action from Customer Care is very lacking to say the least!

Finally late pm 10/04/19, iD again sent an e-mail requesting I re-instate my DD with threats of credit rating score implications if I don't.
iD also sent another e-mail, Titled No Contact-Out Bound Call Not Answered saying acc over-due, services restricted. Please clear the outstanding balance in full immediately.
To make a payment, call us on 020 3409 9790. You can also pay using the iD Mobile app or My Account online at my.idmobile.co.uk.

They are obviously trying to contact me on the missing phone!
Unfortunately there appears no option to explain the situation. So I am still being harassed by one division of iD whilst trying to resolve it with another division. Why are these dept's not linked? This account should at least be put on hold while the investigation is ongoing instead of trying to scare me with late payment demands on a phone I've never seen.

I will send this to all of the various lines of complaint that I have raised and hopefully I will finally get some help from iD Mobile? Hopefully this fiasco will be over. My request to iD Mobile is that I would like this issue and my account closed urgently with assurances in writing that I will not receive any further threats about late payment or incur any impact to my credit score. Also to take on board "Lessons Learnt" so other customers do not have to go through this.
Maybe then I can get on with my life instead of spending hours writing e-mails and making phone calls. After all this harassment and inconvenience I feel also i should be entitled to an offer of some kind of, (dare I raise the word) compensation?

NOTE; this reply has been sent to -
iD Modile.
iD Mobile Community.
Resolver.
Trust Pilot.
PDP.

Ryan,
I will send a full version to you with ref numbers and phone number included.

Regards Mr E Marsh
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Hi Eddie,

Thank you for your message. It is unfortunate to hear about what has happened. We understand that you've already been in touch with us about this and we are working towards resolving this for you.

Ryan
I have moved to a different provider in December. All fine. Till few weeks ago.
Now all of the sudden I get emails from idmobile telling me to setup my direct debit?!?

No way to contact that i can find to contact them other than this forum.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Hi mikeon, due to the fact that cancelling the Direct Debit does not cancel the iD account, we take action to inform customers of this when we receive notification that a Direct Debit has been cancelled.

If you have already cancelled your iD account and allowed any final payments to be made, then it will not matter that your Direct Debit has now been cancelled and you can ignore this email.
-Phil
I got my final bill 10th of December 2018.

5 months later in on May 24 I got "Important information about your Direct Debit" email.
I ignored it.
Then I got one more email on 28 May, and again on 29.
Ignored them as well.

got another one 30. Decided to act as this is obviously a bug in the system.

I expect another email today at 5pm unless someone from idmobile fixes the system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Hi @mikeon

If you have no active account with us, and all bills have been paid. Then these emails will be coming through erroneously. If you could contact us, we'll get these stopped for you.

Could we ask you to email our office at: communitysupport@idmobile.co.uk

Please include in your email your iD Community username, your full name, home address and postcode, mobile number, and email address.

Thanks

I cancelled my DD because I couldn’t find any other way to leave. I requested a SIM plan through mobiles.co.uk, but was then offered a better offer through my existing provider when asking for the PAC code. I asked mobiles.co.uk to cancel my order and they said they would. That was 23 August.

3 months later, I have been charged a total of £48 and not even got close to activating my SIM. I have asked mobiles.co.uk twice more to cancel the order and heard nothing back other than an apology and they are dealing with it. Whenever I try and contact iD Mobile they want to know my account details, even though this has never been set up I don’t even know the mobile number that was assigned to me.

I just want to stop paying £16 per month for a service I have never used. And now I’m told that by cancelling I will potentially ruin my credit rating. Yay! This seems fair!

Thanks iD Mobile. You rock.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I cancelled my DD because I couldn’t find any other way to leave. I requested a SIM plan through mobiles.co.uk, but was then offered a better offer through my existing provider when asking for the PAC code. I asked mobiles.co.uk to cancel my order and they said they would. That was 23 August.

3 months later, I have been charged a total of £48 and not even got close to activating my SIM. I have asked mobiles.co.uk twice more to cancel the order and heard nothing back other than an apology and they are dealing with it. Whenever I try and contact iD Mobile they want to know my account details, even though this has never been set up I don’t even know the mobile number that was assigned to me.

I just want to stop paying £16 per month for a service I have never used. And now I’m told that by cancelling I will potentially ruin my credit rating. Yay! This seems fair!

Thanks iD Mobile. You rock.

Hello @Cubittz,

I’m sorry to hear this has happened.

Whilst we can submit a disconnection for you, we can’t do much more than that as it’s Mobiles.co.uk who did not process your disconnection as requested so any refunds you’d seek through them.

So this wouldn’t really solve the issue.

Have you tried speaking to Mobiles.co.uk on Facebook or Twitter, they might be receiving a high volume of contact over their Social Pages but I know the Team should be able to look into this for you and hopefully submit a disconnection and/or recover any funds you’ve been charged in error.

Mohammed