Solved

Default Capping £50?

• 3 September 2018
  • 3 replies

My daughter's next phone bill is showing as £83 so far. Only after creating an account and logging in did I see this and saw that the capping set to £50. Why on earth is it this high by default?

Also the page says that I'll never pay more than £69 with that cap which is obviously incorrect if my next bill is £83.

I've now changed the plan which I would have done earlier if I'd known the cap was set like that. As far as I was aware the limit was the amount of data available on the plan. I didn't know about a cap or that it was that high.
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 6 September 2018, 14:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @dirk1978,

It sounds like you've purchased a contract prior to the introduction of £5.00 capping by default.

Plans purchased before this period had a cap set to the Credit Limit which was determined by the credit check result.

£25.00, £50.00 or £75.00.

In this case, yours was set to £50.00.

This would mean the maximum out of plan spend you could incur is £50.00.

This only applies to out of plan spend. If you've purchased add-ons, or have paper billing or any other charges not related to out of plan usage, this would not go towards the cap. This could explain why the bill is higher than your cap.

I'm guessing from your above message, your line rental is £19.00?

We provide the iD app to track your allowances and usage to help keep ontop of when you're coming close to the allowance limit. This app also allows you to manage caps, enable/disable features and where we provide your monthly bills.

Now that you've lowered the cap, this would take effect for future bills.

Mohammed
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Has your bill with the charges been generated yet @dirk1978 ?

This is likely to be what's preventing this, as you're not able to set it below than what you've already incurred.

When your bill is generated, you should be able to reduce the cap to £5.00 but if you're having issues on your next billing period, let us know.

The out of plan charges are found here
For data, it's £10.00 for every 100MB (£0.1024 per MB).

Mohammed
Hi Mohammed,

Yeah that all sounds right.

It won't allow me to set the cap any lower than £50. I assume it will allow me to change it at the end of the billing period?

Unfortunately the ID app is installed on the device concerned, which is operated by a young person who wasn't aware of what to look out for.

I've now changed the plan to £25 10GB a month, rather than the £19 2GB a month which has cost me £82 so far. The overuse charges are ridiculous when the plan change could have been done had I known the cap was £50 and the huge cost of out of plan data.

I feel a bit cheated by ID in all honesty and I seriously doubt I'll stay when both of my contracts are up or recommend them to anyone.

Thanks for your reply

Why iD Mobile?