National Friendship Day Competition - Closed

National Friendship Day Competition - Closed
Userlevel 8
Badge
Keeping in touch with friends on the other side of the world can be tricky. But social media and other online tech make it so much easier.

To celebrate National Friendship Day today, we’re sharing our top tips for staying connected with long distance pals:

· Use SameSurf and browse the web together with your friends in real-time, wherever they are.
· Create collaborative playlists on Spotify that you can both enjoy together.
· Set the time on your phone to your friend’s time zone, so you always know when to get in touch.
· Make video calls so you can see each other when you speak.
· When the time comes to get together, choose a location in the middle and meet up there.
· Use social media to keep in touch and share stuff as often as you like.
· Play online games and share them with your mates.

In celebration of National Friendship Day, we’re running a best mates competition. Share a story of how you both met, to be in with the chance of winning £100 Red Letter Vouchers for your friend. Now, that’s what you call friendship!

T&C’s Apply

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 2

My friend here in the red sunglasses is called John, we met him while traveling and knew from then we would all meet up again, that was seven years ago. He currently lives in Stockholm and used to live in Brussels and Newcastle, unfortunately we don't get to see him as much as we would like.

For that reason, he always ensures he comes to London once a year and we all go on a trip somewhere else in the world once a year too, this is us meeting in Brussels last summer.

With current technology such as WhatsApp, Skype, Instagram etc it is really easy to keep in touch, when we do all get together it's like nothing has changed, we just pick up where we left off. We all keep in regular contact and chat most weeks, technology is certainly making it easier and fun to keep in touch with people. I would really miss these apps now if they were not here.
Userlevel 1

Sometimes a true love is a best friend too....
By the end of this year I'll have loved this guy for 15 years, we've had extremely hard times, extremely good times and all the inbetweens.
When I met him, my awkward shy personality completely went, I was intrigued, curious and comfortable around him.

Both of us weren't in a great place, he was homeless sleeping on my alcoholic mums couch but even though she had her problems my mother was an amazing woman, always putting others first.
Having been thrown out of my grandparents post foster care, I landed back with my mother.

Every cloud has a silver lining, I met my true love, my first love and my forever love. 3 weeks of getting to know each other, one day whilst walking, he took my hand, I still remember that feeling. It was amazing to have found someone who truly wanted me in their life and someone I truly wanted to be in mine.

It became official. Mia and Ross and a couple more weeks passed and we found our first flat together...... It'd be a long rocky road, and little did I know i would land with some severe mental health problems. Ross had his own issues too, but over time he conquered them. No matter how hard things got, our love was a magnet, we just didn't want to be apart.

I was watching an elderly couple many years ago on TV, something they said, stuck in my head until this day.... They said "the first ten years are the hardest/worst" ...... Weird you'd think, surely if that was true nobody would be together, but in actual fact I remembered it because it beared meaning. It does take alot of years, especially when there's issues involved to gain a deep level of respect and trust for one another and to find that inner stability.

Me and Ross have been stable for years now, so incredibly happy together and able to express ourselves fully. There's nothing I can't say to him and vise versa, we aren't just each others truelove we are the best of friends, and I am so happy and feel so blessed and lucky that our circumstances brought us closer not further apart and that our love, loyalty and commitment to each other has brought us this far. 💗

Userlevel 1

My Best friends and I met at a university bar almost 10 years ago! My husband (then boyfriend) was hanging out playing foosball and asked them to join us! We have been through most life events together; birthdays, moving, engagements, weddings and funerals. Since, I live in London with my husband and they live in Leicester we are constantly on WhatsApp discussing everything and nothing all at the same time, but as most conversations always ends discussing food! 🍩🍦
Userlevel 1
I met Andrew whilst working in Iraq many years ago. We travelled up and down the country in Blackhawks, stayed in Saddam Hussein's former palaces, (we even snuck in a bottle of cheap red wine), and dodged bullets and bombs. Our friendship was cemented when attempting to buy T-bone steaks from the army base which had just been attacked. "But we just want to buy steak, we pleaded to the solders". Denied. He is not only my best friend, Andrew is family.

Userlevel 2
When I had a few weddings to attend one summer, Southwest offered the cheapest flights at the time from Long Island but to get there we had to go through Baltimore. While another friend and I were in the airport on our way back from a wedding, I saw a beautiful girl (Lindsay, my now wife) and thought to myself, ‘How come I never get that girl to sit next to me on the plane?’

After we boarded, the girl, Erin, that was traveling with Lindsay ended up sitting next to me. We started talking and I came to find out they were sisters! I was introduced to Lindsay after we landed in Baltimore and we ended up inviting them to come to our house for a big barbecue my roommate and I were throwing that summer.

My wife’s version of the story is that she noticed me in the security line at the airport and said something to Erin about me. When Erin sat next to me on the plane before Lindsay boarded, she gave her a dirty look on her way to a seat a few rows behind us. Lindsay also had no interest in coming to our barbecue thinking it would be weird, but Erin talked her into it.

After that, Lindsay and I began to talk a little bit on the phone, but she had just gotten out of a long-term relationship so it didn’t really go anywhere. At the end of the summer after we really hadn’t spoken much, somehow we ended up talking on the phone the Wednesday before Labor Day when I asked her what she was doing that weekend. She told me that she and her sister were running in a half-marathon back in Virginia Beach. Knowing I myself was headed back to Buffalo for a wedding, I asked her when she was leaving. She told me she had to work Friday night so she wasn’t leaving until Saturday morning. I inquired further only to find out that we were yet again booked on the same flight from Islip to Baltimore.

I ended up driving her to the airport, sitting next to each other on the plane, and we began dating very shortly thereafter. I ended up proposing in the same airport a few years later right before we got on the same flight to Baltimore where we’d first met (she thought we were going to visit friends).

We were married last February at Las Vegas and welcomed our first son Aran on May 10

Userlevel 1
My friends and I met at school and have been friends for over 30 years.
We often meet up for meals and drinks and always meet up for special occasions like birthdays. Instead of birthday presents to one another we now book a spa day away for us all to enjoy.
We are pictured here in Brighton enjoying a break away for my friends daughters hen weekend.
Always when we return from our break away it's not long before we are planning the next.

Userlevel 1
This is a picture of my best friend Amy (left) and I. We met at secondary school when we were 11, we are both now 43 and have been through so much together.
We’ve dealt with all the traumas of growing up together, boyfriends, exams, uni etc and then marriage, babies, illness, getting older!
We may not see or speak to each other on a weekly basis but we both know where each other are if we need a natter or a moan. We’ll be friends forever! It’d be great to win this
competition and spend the voucher on doing something fun together!!

Userlevel 8
Badge
Congratulations @Galaxy!

You’ve been selected as the winner of our National Friendship Day competition. You’ve won a £100 Red Letter Days voucher!

You’ll receive an email today with all the relevant details.

A huge thank you to everyone who entered and shared a story of how you met your friend.

Keep an eye out for next month’s competition 😁

Thanks,
The iD Mobile Team
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Wohoo!!! @Galaxy Well Done 🎉

£100 Red Letter Day Voucher 🎟️ that's great! 😄
Userlevel 1
Have known my best mate for over 30 years...playing out o. The back grass in our block of flats and now drinks and dinner catch up as often as possible. We have shared some very good times but some very bad times too but come through smiling and still silly as a child when we can

Why iD Mobile?